VESC DRV8302 Failures and Repair Options

the motor runs free, it locked while pushing the board unpowered, but then freed again. Its not a deal with other ESCS ive dealt with but IDK if this could have caused the damage.

Ok if the motor run free when unplugā€¦ itā€™s maybe one of the mosfet whoā€™s shortedā€¦ because there no protection against overvoltage, wich can damage the gate of a mosfet.

It runs free plugged in too. Can the FETs cause DRV faults?

No if it runnig free when plug, itā€™s probably the drv, sorry :anguished:

Now itā€™s not giving any more DRV faults, only Under Voltage Fault, motor stutters a bit but doesnt turn. Ordered 3 DRV chips, lets have a go.

Now I get this Fault : FAULT_CODE_UNDER_VOLTAGE Current : 61.5 Current filtered : 63.1 Voltage : 7.18 Duty : 0.28 RPM : 449.4 Tacho : 196 Cycles running : 633 TIM duty : 3520 TIM val samp : 1688 TIM current samp : 7977 TIM top : 12578 Comm step : 6 Temperature : 22.90

yea 7 is definitely undervoltage. Check your cells!

Cells are good. When I just got it, I could do detection on this motor with a current limited supply no problem. Its sounds fishy that the current goes so high. Something is causing the voltage to drop drastically. The motor spins erratically on KB control. I wanted to try reflashing the FW. maybe, who knowsā€¦ Funny the DRV faults went away for good.

It could still be the DRV being broken. Maybe itā€™s not providing the correct voltage which leads to the undervolt error.

Fumbling around I can make the motor spin, detection still wont work. The behaviour is very erratic, different from when it arrivedā€¦

stranger thingsā€¦

Look what I found: http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=487&p=2944#p2939

Where are you guys getting your DRV8302 from?

I have replaced my DRV but it still behaves the same way. Looks like some commutation problem.

Getting the ABS MAX CURRENT ERRORS. all the time. Motor only stutters.

I have checked the FETS for shorts ( between D and S ) and between G and Sā€¦ nothing weird. Thinking about removing them for testing on bench.

Out of ideas hereā€¦ maybe next is tracing the gates to the DRVā€¦

so frustratingā€¦

Sound like a broken motorā€¦

No sir, it spins like a boss with my Castle Phoenix 80 HV.

Well regular esc are less sensible than VESCā€¦ are you running sensor or sensorless ?

Check all the resistors and caps near the FETs. If your motor cogs without drv errors than you probably have a a poor solder joint somewhere. Look for cold joints and reflow with flux.

3 Likes

did so. reflowed the fets tooā€¦ Reflowed the shunts that could be causing the overcurrent issue, no go. Gonna check cont to the DRV gate driver pin.

It looks clearly that a phase is out of order.

Not giving up, not yet hahaha

check your shuntā€¦ I suggest to reflow them as well, but check them before.