Vesc cutoff while accelerating

would the “25C” rating on battery have anything to do with it when trying to grab 70A? try and lower motor max & bat max all the way down to something like 30A and see if get same result.

@Nix You are correct. @Scoo_B_SK8 the 25c along with the capacity gives you how many amps you can draw from it. In my case it will be 25*5 so 125a.

while technically that is 100% correct manufacturers are a little generous with their C ratings having some headroom is always a good idea

Yup, I’m aware of that but I still have enough room so the battery is not the issue. Any other suggestions maybe?

Are you using the Android app to log data while riding? Your cutouts during acceleration may be a DRV8302 fault. My VESC did something similar. It works fine otherwise, but sometimes cuts out on hard accelerations. Then resets a few seconds later and continues working…

No I don’t have Bluetooth module. But it seems to acts as you say. Did you see any drv faults in the terminal?

No I can’t recreate it on the bench. It seems that in many cases a DRV error is fatal. However mine just resets and keeps going. As some people in my thread commented, I believe the DRV chip is failing

Sounds like yours is doing the same thing. I recommend buying a BT module to be sure. Who manufactured your VESC?

It seems like I’m having the exact same issue. Hard acceleration or reasonable acceleration on a slight incline and it cuts out but just resets and comes back a couple of seconds later. Sometimes on braking too.

Where would one get one of these bluetooth modules please?

I have a usb extension socket on the side of my enclosure, it is possible to plug in my phone via usb while riding to record the data?

Don’t turn off your vesc after the ride, connect it to pc and search for the faults/errors in the terminal Tab. I had no faults so it makes it even harder to identify the problem.

1 Like

This happens to me as well.

If I accelerate really fast, I get a weird noise from my motor and the control loses connections for a few seconds, just to reconnect again.

It doesn’t happen if I don’t accelerate suddenly.

10s Li Ion, BMS and 190 KV motor

1 Like

That’s no good because it’s actually re-booting, so all errors get cleared.

I don’t get any noise at all, just literally the VESC cuts out and re-boots.

Exactly what I’m having. Faulty drv then?

What causes a faulty DRV then?

A bunch of stuff can cause drv to fry. Not sure what went wrong in my case.

I think mine may have been a result of buggy firmware provided by the manufacturer. Had the current ramp step bug, and I was unknowingly running a value maxed out at 50, instead of the default 0.04

Have you tried the new VESC-Tool with 3.28FW? www.vesc-project.com

Frank

@jmasta I was aware of this bug so I kept it at 0.04.
@trampa didn’t know there’s a new software but I’ll give it a try, Thanks!

Do so! and if you like it invite Benjamin on a blonde cool beer. Frank

1 Like

Can we update 4.12 hardware with 3.28FW?

What’s the changelog? Any new decent features or only for VESC 6?