Vesc cutoff while accelerating

I donā€™t get any noise at all, just literally the VESC cuts out and re-boots.

Exactly what Iā€™m having. Faulty drv then?

What causes a faulty DRV then?

A bunch of stuff can cause drv to fry. Not sure what went wrong in my case.

I think mine may have been a result of buggy firmware provided by the manufacturer. Had the current ramp step bug, and I was unknowingly running a value maxed out at 50, instead of the default 0.04

Have you tried the new VESC-Tool with 3.28FW? www.vesc-project.com

Frank

@jmasta I was aware of this bug so I kept it at 0.04.
@trampa didnā€™t know thereā€™s a new software but Iā€™ll give it a try, Thanks!

Do so! and if you like it invite Benjamin on a blonde cool beer. Frank

1 Like

Can we update 4.12 hardware with 3.28FW?

Whatā€™s the changelog? Any new decent features or only for VESC 6?

Im using this one - and it has iPhone app but you have to pay for module - approx Ā£27/$34 delivered to UK - thatā€™s him much I paid. Plug and play :slight_smile:

If you have android @Ackmaniac has a free app- and you can get one of clone Bluetooth modules to go with it.

Btw - what step down converter are you using to have USB out?

Itā€™s all over here - lengthy discussion on new firmware and vesc tool :wink:

Thanks for the info mate. Iā€™m on android so where would I get a clone module for ackā€™s software please? (I could search but Iā€™m just being lazy! :confused: )

I donā€™t have usb power out, I just have a short extension lead from my VESC to the edge of the enclosure, so I can plug in the VESC without taking the enclosure off.

I am thinking about adding USB charging capabilities. If I did Iā€™d use this moduleā€¦

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352155418648

There you go you lazy ass! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

He has linked the module in his post, from AliExpress. Order it now to have it before xmass haha :wink:

I wouldnā€™t get any other module as compatibility is a big issue, a lot of guys have problems getting them to work - unless youā€™ll find exactly same model on eBay uk ā€¦ might be hard, pictures are usually stolen from listing to listing and module itself might not look like pictured one.

Thanks for the link with step down module!

I found even cheaper one on AliExpress

Look what I found on AliExpress

Or this one - quicker shipping from eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222244391709

Iā€™ll just have to get micro USB to female USB 2 extension or solder female USB onto it :wink: Winter project :smiley:

Edit :slight_smile:

Found one with female USB already soldered on from Ireland :wink: double the price at Ā£4 but easier. Not sure how well USB 2 will hold to the enclosureā€¦

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322543582068

Waitā€¦ I donā€™t have any space left in enclosure :disappointed:

lol thanks! Although that particular one is no longer available. I found what looks to be the exact same module on Amazon though and I ordered with Prime, so itā€™ll be here tomorrow :wink:

Iā€™m sure you could get those modules cheaper, I wasnā€™t sure how many cells you had in series so I looked for one that would cover all scenarios. Iā€™ll be getting one for 8s which you can find a bit cheaper :thumbsup:

Haha! No space! :frowning: Thatā€™s going to be my problem soon too!!

Dunno, I switched to FOC recently and itā€™s so much better.

Not sure if itā€™s a faulty DRV, as the VESC is workingā€¦

Just search @Ackmaniac thread I linked above for new link to the module - I think someone else also said it was no longer available and he linked new one - I might be wrong. You donā€™t want to have this problem:

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/bluetooth-module-with-ackmaniacs-app/32220?u=montpierre

1 Like

Not sure if itā€™s relevant to the problem everyone here is having but Iā€™ve had drop offs that happen because of power coming from the VESC for the receiver would dip when the voltage is getting relatively low on my battery (when it gets down from 42V fully charged to around 38V). With mine I have a custom receiver and adding a capacitor to the ground/vin on the custom recevier and on its radio (since they are separate pcbs in my case) gets rid of the drop outs entirely. I would take advice of others here to reproduce the problem then check for faults but assuming nothing comes through there would look at either adding capacitors to the power input on the receiver so it can deal with small dips in power from the VESC voltage regulator or try repositioning the receiver to see if it has any effect (further from the VESC). Might be red herrings but some things to try if youā€™re out of ideas.

Hi!

Tried the new FW but it does not work. I canā€™t get the remote to connect and I tried 2 remotesā€¦ any idea why?

Ishay

so did all your issues go away using FOC?

Pretty much, yes

1 Like