Vedder's VESC 6.0

Just took the new Vesc out for a spin on my 12S 33Mph roadster, and omg it feels so smooth. plus it never even got close to overheating even when going up a 10/15% incline. very welldone Frank, send my regards to the big V aswell

I actually blew two CAN tranceivers on slaves 3 and 4 and then same thing happened again a month later so it was only 2 at a time lol.

By 30A continuous I mean actually pulling 30A through the VESC for more than say a minute ofr two strait per a vesc current log. Like when climbing a mile long hill. I hit soft back off on all the 2wd vesc powerd boards Ive made going up the hill near my house. Yeah Im big lol. 6ā€™2 270lbs.

Finished building my battery for my eMTB last night and setup a very conservative FOC setup (never used FOC before) and it seems to run amazing. Iā€™ve yet to stand on the thing and take it for a ride, as it was 430am when I was near finished and had realised the time. So went to bed for a few hours for work :slight_smile: Iā€™ll hopefully get to ride it tonight as the controller wasnā€™t connecting to the receiver this morning so had to leave it home :frowning: Setup: 12s8p 2xVESC6 2xLeopard 8072

5 Likes

Thatā€™s an unfair comparison. The level of complexity of a Ferrari is many levels above a single 25 cm2 PCB. I donā€™t doubt the trampaā€™s VESC quality but you cannot say what Iā€™m designing is worst or better at the moment. I will use quality parts as well. It will definitely be cheaper and customised. It is ok if you only buy trampaā€™s. But many of us donā€™t want to spend that much on an ESC. I love DIY and designing PCBā€™s and have some spare time. :wink:

5 Likes

I fully support you. I miss real DIY and ppl just making things for free then sharing with community. seems like too many ppl turned this community into a marketplaceā€¦

4 Likes

It would be nice if you could offer a bare-board version (no wires, no heat sink no fancy packaging) for $175.

2 Likes

then I would only be able to support less than 30 AMP, a good heatsink is a necessity.

2 Likes

@JohnnyMeduse - I realize that but I can make my own heat sink, or find an off-the-shelf that will work. There are some great heat sinks at online surplus electronics sites.

Yes, but It is a crucial part of the design, if itā€™s done badly you can easily hurt yourself and damage the product. In this case it would be a mess for the warranty and insurance issue, because they canā€™t provide real warranty since the product is so easy to temper withā€¦

@JohnnyMeduse I realize that too, but on the other hand youā€™re opening up a whole new market at the $200 level that youā€™re not going to get at the $300 level - me for instance :slight_smile:

So call it a ā€œDIY Specialā€ package and limit the warranty to out of box failures.

I know there are issues, but I also surmise that the $300 price point is too high for this kind of market. Somebody will offer this.

Yeah, but Iā€™m pretty sure in a few month you will find them at around 200$, from other vendor or maybe trampaā€¦ The price is so high right now because they have the exclusivity :wink:

1 Like

Thank you Benjamin, Frank, Ted.

18 Likes

yah yah yah! Trying to impress the waving girls, not concentrating and falling of the board :monkey:

3 Likes

Is the VESC 6 firmware ā€¦ (and the updated tool) ā€¦ Going to be open source? I have read conflicting thingsā€¦ seems the board may or not be open source. But the firmware was going to be open source? However the repository does not seem to have been updated in quite a while and I am sure firmware updates are needed for the new design. Does anyone know the plan in terms of the Ben Vedderā€™s recently firmware?

According to Vedder and Trampa: It will be open source after the beta is finished. Timespan of the beta not known by me. It is currently ongoing. I guess Vedder wants things well done before releasing it.

The reference design of the hardware and the software will be released.

I ordered one a few days ago and there was nothing about a beta? http://www.trampaboards.com/vesc-6-complete--vedder-electronic-speed-controller-trampa-exclusive-p-24166.html

It wonā€™t be served on a silver plate again according to the vesc team

Sure it will be OS. But Beta gives the time to make sure everything is sorted and the code is ready to be published. In the end everyone wants a software with little to no bugs. The time span is up to Benjamin, since he needs to feel comfortable to release it.

Frank

It rides amazing, for the time being until I get a CAN cable sorted Iā€™m running 1 motor at max 40A. I went with 40A as Iā€™ve never used FOC before (because of apparent issues with it on old hardware). I can see why people much prefer it over BLDC, I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s quiter but itā€™s smother.

1 Like

Frank, do you have any idea when the next batch will be available?