Vedder's VESC 6.0

Anyone wanting a VESC 6 Beta, please PM me. We are about to close the list. Only private users are accepted, only some Betas left. 175Pond incl. UK VAT. Non EU customers pay no VAT.

Frank

1 Like

The Beta list is closed now. We want to keep things to a small scale for the now. Early next week we will send out a mail to everyone taking part in the beta test program. Thanks for your support and interest.

@caustin @PXSS @jos @racidon I need your mail address to get you in. Please PM me ASAP.

Frank

1 Like

You tested a vescx? What is the test?

Hi Jason, it refers to the VESC 4 design in gerneral. The feature protecting the DRV is new in VESC 6 hardware and firmware, so any derived VESC 4 design has the same issue with beasty motors and high ERPM, high power drain. Most of the work on VESC 6 is firmware related BTW. So this amount of robustness is new in VESC 6 designs, running the latest Firmware which not public yet. Benjamin does not want to release the new Software until he feels everything is 100% perfect and safe. It won’t be long until its available to the public! The new software package will allow more different VESC hardware designs and we want to stipulate more innovation to the benefit of everyone. What I wrote is no criticism about Your VESC X (VESC 4 derivate with direct FETS). We like to see innovation. It’s something Benjamin worked on for countless hours and a key feature of the latest design in hardware and software.

We all know that the hardware is something very simple in comparison to the software. Most of the work achieved in the last year was purely software related and we all had to spend a lot of our free time to get thing where they are now - especially Benjamin. Please be a bit pacient with VESC 6. Its due to be released once things are 100% perfect for Benjamin. The Beta Test will give him some more input to really get the Software to brilliance.

VESC-Tool is a lot more than BLDC-Tool. Benjamin and I created an entire environment for it, so that the VESC-Project will have a propper home from now on. We hope that everyone in the VESC business will give Benjamin the credits he deserves. It will help him to push things further and develop new products in future to the benefit of everyone. For this reason we (Me, Ted And Benjamin) created an very transparent environment for USERS and BUSINESSES. This Environment is in Benjamins hands only! We did not intend to hijack an OS project. Some things will change in future to stipulate a certain amount of fair play and innovation. This is the reason for TM registartion in pretty much any contry of relvance incl. China, Hongkong, Austrlia, Israel, USA, EU etc etc… VESC 6 first batches through Trampa will hopefully cover the cost for this very expensive step we sponsored to Benjamin. Anyone complaing about prices should know that we needed a lot of cash to help to put the VESC project on a proper legal foundations, just like any other major OS project. VESC is from now on a TM to identify the orignal hardware and most important: software by BV. Benjamin will publish information about the OS Vesc-Project soon. There is still a fair amount of work left! Some info can be found here: http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149&start=280

I hope everyone in the game will understand that all these steps (including hiding away for a while) were inavitable and for the benefit of the OS VESC-Project.

Frank

10 Likes

Trademark is the way to go ! You’ve done in a really proper way.

Thanks for keeping this amazing project fully Open Source. :wink:

We always try to do things in a proper way. Thx for the compliments. But the real perfectionist is BV. Its amazing to see his progress of the last year. He shouldered most of the burden and our combined demand for perfection didn’t really help to reduce the level of stress. Please support him in future to encourage innovation. Once the new Website is up, you all have a change to show some respect. Many people giving small contribution will help to see a lot more progress. We created a way to give something back to you in case you decide to support the project.

Frank

2 Likes

B. Vedder has my full respect and admiration. I promote his work to everyone (even to those who don’t care about electric skateboard :smile: )

I brought my contribution by donating. I hop we could help in another way like every open source project by sending pull request, and so on. Vedder is very talented, so are other guys who could bring their support. Thanks to the new system (like the website), this would be improved I guess.

I’m on the beta list, and I’ll do my best for feeding BV with lot’s of inputs :wink:

Thank you Frank for the feedback on the forum.

(BTW, Thank you for my new Holypro 35 529T, it’s a piece of art, received in 2 days !! :astonished: )

1 Like

new video from Benjamine Vedder:

8 Likes

Have you considered using a passive loop heat pipe (PLHP) cooling system to dump the heat? It has an evaporator and condenser with no moving parts.

1 Like

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but what are the dimensions with and without the aluminum case?

I didn’t read the whole thread, so excuse me if the question has been asked or if it is just plain stupid, but do you guys think this would work powering a 54v ebike?

If that means 14s I’d suggest you to wait for Vedder’s approval. I am almost certain that trampa made its motors to run on 12s, and I would stick to that at least for the betas. Theoretically fets are rated 60v but no one ever pushed 4.12vesc this far without damage: quote “The DRV8302 failed/burned after 5 minutes of playing on 14S while failling it showed the same erratic behavior it did on 12S so maybe my earlier problem was a not good DRV. Or maybe a bad ground solder underneat it. It failed after maybe 30 secondes full throttle.”

There is a thread on endless sphere about that: http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6

1 Like

12S max! A fully charger 12S is @ 51V already! 13S is killing it. Its perfect for an eBilke. Benjamins eBike is a beast and runs on guess what?

Frank

1 Like

Know what kind of throttle/ brake he uses?

I don’t, but its something standard. The Vesc-Tool allows you to select such a throttle as input device.

Frank

2 Likes

@trampa Are you able to release the dimensions yet?

1 Like

@trampa seconded

like they used to use in old valve amplifiers

I can send a sketch out to the beta group. Its roughly 68 x 72 x 18mm.

Frank

3 Likes

hehe, perfect 18650 dimensions :smiley:

3 Likes