Vedder's VESC 6.0

He registered in november.

So now how can someone sell a trademark product without the consent of the ownerā€¦ Now say hi to a 300 dollar vesc :thinking:

1 Like

I believe the best thing that could happen to the vesc would be a decent support ($$) to the creator. If vedder made the vesc a full-time job, the quality of the product would rise exponentially.

In addition, if he started selling by himself ,price would probably decrease, since I believe with a 30% net profit goal, he would be able to sell a vesc (4.12) for 100$ and make 30$/vesc (way more than any donation at the moment).

So probably you should be disappointed in the trademark just if you were a reseller.

2 Likes

Interesting. Although, maybe the trademark is to prevent some old chum from slapping the name VESC (VEDDER. electronic. speed. controller) on a crappy Chinese ESC.

I would take a trademark even though itā€™s open source. Gotta find a way to distinguish quality and approve from cheap.

1 Like

Well, Cheap chinese vesc will still be for saleā€¦ since the trademark doesnā€™t apply in chinaā€¦

@onloop I said if I was wrong id happily admit it and seems u were definently right about you hubs in general, and it seems like you might even be correct about vedder and his 6.0 vesc. I do agree however that even if it is not open source that he has no doubt earned the right to make some real profit

I totally agee with the trademarkā€¦ I think it is the wright move to doā€¦ donā€™t get me wrongā€¦ it just that people should be aware that the vesc 6.0 wonā€™t be a cheap product to get.

Trademark and open source are separate things. Trademark is claiming ownership of a name used in trade, itā€™s not a patent or a copyright. You could sell the exact same product under two different trademarks. So, for example, if Vedder keeps 6.0 open source he could sell the ā€œVESCā€ as a brand name item. Other manufacturers could sell the same product, they would just have to call it something else, not VESC. Since he has trademarked the brand I could see current manufacturers of the VESC having to rename their product or sign licensing deals with Vedder in order to use his brand name on their product.

1 Like

Well, that is going to be interestingā€¦ to watch people reinventing the ā€œVESCā€ nameā€¦ :wink: (But still, that doesnā€™t put a cheaper price tag over original vesc)

1 Like

But the 2.14 or whatever version weā€™re at now is solid enough for a skateboard it seems. How many amps are you all needingā€¦youā€™re all amp hogs!! Iā€™ve never hit a temp cutoff with even a single hub motor. Am I missing something and down the road my older vesc will die from some type of attrition? 12s and foc and still going

What are the effects of coasting on erpm? I have 60 li ion cells coming in soon that I can arrange as needed once I understand the pros and cos of 10s and 12s with my motors. Would I get more range doing 10s6p vs 12s5p?

And Iā€™m going dual 190kv motors from diy, 5000watt total which seems like a lot of power draw, if that changes anything.

Thanks

Thatā€™s is the ugliest logo I have ever seen.

LOL

3 Likes

225.-ā‚¬ by Trampa :joy:

Lots of people donĀ“t use vescs for mountainboarding because of the low amp limit. So that will be a nice thing with the new one.

1 Like

I am using 2 VESC 4.12 in my Trampa.

2x 3300W 200KV Motor

10S/5P LG HE4

I have make only the FOC detection with Hal Sensor.

I have only, changed the Battry cut off and Battery end.

Al the other Settings i donĀ“t change.

And i ride my Trampa now over 500Km and i donā€™t have any problems

with my VESC 4.12

3 Likes

I think you are are rightā€¦ especially with dual there should not be such problemsā€¦ unless you go offroading and amp draw is really highā€¦

Can you quickly chime in and tell are there also heatsinks for your vescs?

I donā€™t think, that with single Motor on a MTB was a good Idea :joy:

No i have the VESC in heat shrink thats al, and he was in a closed Alu Box.

I ride my Trampa al time offroad :grin:

2 Likes

I do not think about it that i want used 12S and 5 ore 6 P what can I change by the parameters by the VESC. I know that my Motors i used i can ride with 10S and that was enough for MTB on al terrain.

And i drive not more, and have fun.

If anyone rides his VESC with standard current settings there should be no problems, but if one tries to get out more power by increasing the current settings the risk of damaging something also increases.

Btw. Iā€™m riding at 12S with 100A motor/battery and 155A absolute current limit, did not blow anything. But I still would really like to have more current -> more torque available to ride even harderā€¦ :sunglasses:

1 Like