Vedder's VESC 6.0

So, Im starting a new project that uses 8 motors (all need to do the same task).

Does anyone know how many VESCs can be daisy chaned together as I cant seem to find any threads on how many can be used in unison or what problems can arise from using multiple together?

1 Like

If the limit is the CAN ID number, it should be 256 devices (8bit coded), so you have some margin.

2 Likes

I believe if any fail in the chain - the ones past that controller will also lose signal/control. So you might want some form of redundant signal. I know Ben suggested against split servo control and only canbus for dual VESC 6, but i’ve run dual VESC 4.xx this way without issue, so besides cost savings 8 4.xx might be better (redundant) vs 8 VESC Six.

If you want to go all Six’s - i’d post up on his forum and see if he has any suggestions.

HTH - GL!

Thats some good advice there. The plan is to make a small plannetary engine using 8 planet gears, therefore 8 motors to run a beefed up gocart. Do you know of any resons a split servo shouldnt be used as wouldnt the input signal be the exact same for each vesc that way?

paging @trampa What are your thoughts on this as I see you posted in another thread about never using the Y splitters

Edit: Would it be possible to have multiple receivers connected to a single remote, so each motor/vesc combo can have a dedicated receiver… that way if one of the motors fail, it wont shut down the rest of the chain??

Using Y PPM slpitter on VESC 6 result in fried components. There are more sensitive on VESC6 than VESC4, so if you never experienced trouble doing it with HW4.xx, ask @Nowind about HW6 :wink:

See the thread where we’re talking about it.

Multiple receivers can be connected to a single remote. For the small cost of the extra receivers I would think in this application that that would give you the best backup? There was a lot of discussion of the pros and cons on this thread.

1 Like

Yes, Im using 4 receivers and 1 remote with the HKGT2B

1 Like

Thats perfect news then.

Thanks for the help @BigBoyToys @bigben @Pimousse. next step is putting the DIY engine together :stuck_out_tongue:

Will there be a build thread here or somewhere? That will be great popcorn material! :heart_eyes:

There definitely will be ( even though its not directly esk8 based )

and it all starts by me finally finishing building a £1.2k printer to make the large-ass gearbox for the motors ( pls save my wallet )

a quick update. The VESC 6 are still performing perfectly in whatever conditions. I got an eagle tree heavy duty and they barely go above 30°C in most of the cases. I’m running dual FOC 12S.

3 Likes

1 Like

Just a quick update, I am waiting for my PCBs to arrive of my own version of the VESC6 , it is very similar to the original. Got all the components and reflow oven is waiting :slight_smile: fingers crossed that all is going to work.

1 Like

Looks like you might not be the only one waiting for their PCBs. These guys have even got their boxes ready!

1 Like

Oh no :confounded: Please Maytech, don’t sell more crap!

And they’ll have to fold it to fit in the box…

I don’t understand, I didn’t see Vedder release the PCB yet on vesc project, so how did you already order the PCB?

He released the schematics only, not the PCB. I have designed the PCB myself with Altium software. It took quite a while to do it in my spare time, but it is a hobby for me.

5 Likes

Cool stuff man :wink: I can’t wait to see what happens when you fire yours up. Please do share… really exciting times.

Would you consider releasing some readymade to the hungry hoardes here?

2 Likes