Vedder's VESC 6.0

If i were to buy one off your site, when would it arrive? (In UK)

Usually it’s built the same day and shipped the same day. Monday to Friday…

Expect 2-3 days.

Frank

Does that mean that the VESC 6 will be shipping out soon? Would be nice with an update :slight_smile:

1 Like
9 Likes

Will this test bench be open sourced or is it closed source?

Let’s get past this stupid trademark outrage and get back to the real thing:

@trampa, I’m a bit confused: 2-3 days from when? Will this be different from the beta version? (beta 1/beta 2, is there a difference between the two?)? Your webpage still states “DISCOUNTED ADVANCED PRE-ORDERS BEING TAKEN NOW!”. Could you please clarify?

1 Like

I referred to boards. The VESCs all arrive next week and will be shipped after a spin up test.

Frank

I was referring to the VESC’s, that confused me because of the pre orders being on the page still. I understand now, I’ll hold off until you have it properly listed on your site.

When will vesc tool be available to the public? Will it be compatible with non-vescs based on vesc’s (4.12, focbox). What improvements can we expect? Duty cycle?

2 Likes

Sure, after BETA. The list of improvements is far to long to be named here. 100% new software, no old code, 100% new firmware, multiple hardware support incl. the old designs, setup wizards, throttle curves for different input devices, NRF pairing, update server telling you that updates are available, weekly updates, firmware integrated, no more looking for suitable firmware, automatic hardware detection, better graphs and analysis, better structure…it’s endless. Basically a full restart of everything! VESC 4 will profit a lot from VESC-Tool. My VESC 4 runs a treat with the latest firmware. FOC is so much better now! Once available, you can download it from Benjamin’s server, through www.vesc-project.com. You will also be able to donate some $$ to Benjamin during the checkout (downloading) process. People donating will get a nice bonus on top. Surprise!

Frank

A tiny detail I forgot: Benjamin integrated a full documentation into the Software. Question marks behind every single setting let you know more about everything, and will help you to understand better what you do or could do.

14 Likes

:grin: WE NEEDZ PICTURES OF ELECTRONICS :grin:

1 Like

I believe the 6 will have an over-ride motor amp limit of 120 amps unfortunately. Just like the version 4. So while it could possibly put out way more power it’s being held back by the software and even if u put your motor amps past 120 it won’t go

2 Likes

I’m not sure why you would need more than 120amps per ESC on a skateboard?

Fully charged in 12s at 120amps for a single motor would be 6,048watts, 10s would be 5,040watts…Double that for dual motors at 240amps.

Ebikes, other EVs, could use the VESC™®©(Made by Vedder)(Property of Vedder)(Also Trampa)*** but usually need higher amperage.

Also off-road mountain boards.

2 Likes

Vesc® SIX by Trampamean Vedder is strong enough! Limit isn’t set by software. Vesc-Tool will tell you “you are doing something stupid” in case you drop in potentially destructive values. I think the DRV issue will shift towards cooked motors.

Frank

2 Likes

@jaykup Yes that is what I thought, just was not thinking of e-bikes due to this being an e-sk8 board. Trampa is a mountain board shop, so not sure why they would restrict it if mountain boards would need more? We will see if it is capped at 120amps or not :confused: Dual motors would be as much at 12,096watts.

@Trampa I’m aware that speed can be capped, but what about wattage? I mean say, at 5% charge, the wattage is 1,500 per motor, could I put a cap so it stays at 1,500 watts per motor when fully charged and there fore the max wattage the motor uses is the same through out the battery charge range?

At low duty cycle, (low speeds) the “effective voltage” is reduced way down. At 5% duty ur at 5% max speed and 5% of pack voltage. The math there brings the wattage way down at the lower speeds. Multiply using maybe 2 or 3 volts.

Are you talking about WATT control?

Frank

1 Like

Yes, please be gentle.:neutral_face:

Just explaining how I came to this line of thought.

I set max ESC amps at 40 so it would be 80 amps max with two ESC’s.

What I did was calculate the speed at low voltage by going 10 series to make the voltage 37v as you can see below. Top speed weighted is 35.96km/h. Lets round it at 36km/h

Now when the battery is fully charged in the esk8 calculator by going 12 series to get 44.4v, I get top speed weighted at 43.16km/h, lets round it to 43km/h

What I assumed to do is at max wattage on low voltage of 37 would be 37 times 40amps = 1480 watts for 36km/h

Fully charged at 44.4v would be 44.4 times 40amps = 1776 watts at 43km/h.

I cap the speed at 36km/h so I get 36km/h when fully charged and still get the same top speed till voltage is down to 37v so I have consistent top speed for my commuting board.

I assumed if I also cap the wattage at 1480 watts even when fully charged, the power level would also be more consistent due to also capping top speed at 36km/h although I understand there will still be a bit more torque at full charge due to higher voltage.

In nutshell, consistent speed and wattage usage despite 100%,50% or 20% battery.