Vedder's VESC 6.0

I am not to sure about better FOC operation but I do know it will be more robust at 12s due to some revisions to some of the larger smd capacitors.

@karma Yes, it sounds like the case will fully enclose this version.

The hub motor crowd is going to go nuts over this version!

2 Likes

It’ll be a game changer - with the amount of current drawn for hubs, it’ll make things much more practical.

While I would love to see more voltage and fewer amps, it’s not going to happen just yet. I do love the idea of unified heatsink/case.

Another update from Benjamin today, routing is finished!

Some of the new features are a vertical micro usb port and the capacitors are now mounted directly to the pcb.

10 Likes

Do you have an idea of the dimentions?

It’s 60mmX60mm

1 Like

Hmmm , seems like a less convienient size for placement? . V 4.10 fit nicely parrallel to 2 end to end 18650’s

Looks like 1 motor per VESC still?

Vedder has actually designed this controller to be the same thickness and width as most 18650 packs. A pack large enough to power two of the controllers to their potential would be at least 130mm wide

3 Likes

@Jinra from a maintenance and repair standpoint this is ideal.

Makes sense, can’t wait!

@chaka So the V5 VESC will use 2 capacitors instead of 3 like the V4? How come?

Looks pretty compact!

(Pictures taken by Mr.Vedder) http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149&start=150

8 Likes

the qty of caps doesn’t really matter, it’s the total capacitance, so you could use 10 smaller ones or 2 bigger ones, or even just one larger one.

As good heat dissipation is a major factor in the life expectancy of a capacitor it would actually be better to use 10 smaller caps in order to maximize surface area.

Theoretically that is. Chances are the VESC will die before the caps do…

Chances are the VESC will die before the caps do…

Good thing I will be able to resurrect them if that happens but the whole point of this version change was to make the VESC more robust when used with larger motors. The current version 4.12 is actually very stable with smaller 50mm motors.

3 Likes

oh shit! this is a big improvement space wise. The way i build my packs and lay them in the boxes will seriously benefit from this design update.

I can’t wait to get my hands on a pair of these.

Yes, they are designed to match the 18650 form factor. The power leads will be routed between the 2 capacitors, a much cleaner design. Keep in mind that these will come with an aluminum enclosure or at least a heat sink setup.

1 Like

Can you update the software to drive yuneec motors? These motors have the hall effect sensors mounted on consecutive poles instead of 120degrees. See photo:

I’m curious if you have tried it without the sensors? have you tried to power it in BLDC mode? if ya did, howed it go? i know its a bit under powered but i got a couple spares at home from replacements and another VESC on the way might make a decent beater board.

I haven’t tried it because I don’t have a Vesc. Another user tried and couldn’t get the sensored functionality to work. The other user was able to get it to work unsensored and bumped the speed significantly.

I want a vesc but I want to make it work with the sensors if possible.