Vanguard Orange | 10s | SK3 I VESC

Thanks! First I thought that I use lipos but there is few problems with them: -Wires. There is a lot of them if you are using for example 4x 3s lipos. -If you are using only two lipos for example 2x 5s they are too thick. -Also some lipos tend to swell

I went with 18650 cells because I can build a pack with the size I want. They are safer and wiring is not such a hassle. Plus they are only 18mm thick!

1 Like

Allrigh. Today I finished the battery. I’m happy how it turned out.

9 Likes

Great and clean work ! Good job !

2 Likes

Your kydex enclosures are awesome !

What thickness Kydex did you use ?

And the little Lip where the bolts go in serves a special purpose?

Actually it is ABS not kydex. It is 3mm thick and I think it is just good because the enclosures needed to be bended to match the shape of concave.

The lip is there because the length of wood inserts are 10mm and the Vanguad is 10mm thick. I didn’t want to screw them through the board.

1 Like

I finished the board yesterday. Only thing what I’m waiting to arrive is XT90-S connector.

11 Likes

Nice build ! Your recharching system is well thinking.

And, concerning your motor pulley, will they be machined for a keyway and grubscrew, or just shaft bore ?

The pulley will have a slot for a keyway and hole for screw. Also pin for the keyway and screw will be included.

are you parallel charging as two 5S and discharging as one 10S?

Yes, exactly :smile:

2 Likes

Bravo. good call.

Hey! I’m going to be building on the same deck as you, and I was wondering if you would think of selling me the enclosures? Think i’ll copy your 18650 idea as well, looks awesome!

Yes I can make you pair of these enclosures during next weekend. Where do you live?

Go ahead and make same battery! So far it is working perfectly :smile:

Really nice build! I’m interested in setting up the same battery on my build and was wondering how it is all wired. Specifically where do you connect the balancing leads to the batteries and why are there 6 balancing leads for 5 pairs of batteries on each row? Is one just connected to the ground wire? Any pics before you wrapped it? And lastly what kind of real world speed/distance are you getting?

1 Like

Thank you! Here is the picture of wiring

There is 6 wires in JST connector because 5 of the leads balance the cells and one negative (the red wire)

Sorry, I forgot to take any pictures during assembly, but I hope that the picture helps!

I have tested the board in parking garage and with gearing ratio of 14/36 I think it will max 40kmh. I will post real results when I am able to ride outside. Battery is 185Wh so theoretically the range will be 18,5km with one charge.

7 Likes

Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

@Dunkirk Could you give a diagram on how you discharge in series and charge in parallel without removal of your enclosure? I’m confused as to how you have wired everything. Thanks!

@Dunkirk Also would be very interested in the same enclosure as well. What do you think would be the price?

Would this be considered a 10s battery or 5s? Thanks!

It’s 2 5S Batteries in series :smile:

@Dunkirk, do you have any photos of the welding of the batteries? Would it be possible to do with a soldering iron?