US - Bestech CHARGE ONLY BMS modules

They need to be adjusted at load, if idle it’ll be all wonky Just get one of those drok dc-dc cccv regulators, it’s the only thing I use to charge everything, got 7 built and in use by people :wink:

Perfect for 12S at 4.1V per cell ^^ The 5A version is about $30

2 Likes

Well yeah, that is true but in my experience the cell balance is bad when only using the VESC, with the BMS it seems to keep them at exactly the same voltage through the discharge. Also, I do have them set higher, the BMS cutoff is like 3.3 or 3.4 so it wouldn’t be great if the VESC didn’t work anyway

The BMS doesn’t do anything on the discharge other than limit total current, I don’t know why that would have an affect on cells, I haven’t personally experienced that

Huh weird. I thought it did. Maybe not, but when I have checked after riding, they were all at the same voltage

All of mine always are balanced without BMS on discharge, like I gotta use the multimeter that goes to .000 to see a difference lol

Oh huh well then maybe I would be fine with just charge configuration. Have you ever had any issues? I am gonna be using it with lipos from hk

Well I’ve never had an issue with charge only, but numerous with discharge through BMS. 95% of my battery experience is with cylindrical cells but I don’t see any reason why lipo would be any diff My experience with lipos is replacing them for cylindrical cells :rofl:

1 Like

Well that is good to hear. Maybe I will jump on this then. The 60A discharge one I was gonna get from SuPower was gonna be like $47

This type of stuff is cool, but no termination, so gotta time it?

Yeah it sits at like 50ma, maybe lower dont remember, I actually got the Bluetooth/USB one recently but haven’t had a chance to play with it, maybe some more options there Ive always charged below 4.2(4.1-4.15) per cell so I’ve never seen it as an issue

Ok just peaked at the manual and it looks pretty sweet, you can remotely turn it off, a simple Android app for remote control shouldn’t be an issue… Manual for drok Dctodc with bt/usb https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UtPSRGAUvnJDpIltCEDwrTPdMZd3vQ51/view?usp=drivesdk

2 Likes

okay thanks for the explanation! this forum is fkin blazing. I am building a 10s4p 30q battery so I guess I’m participating in the gb. So is this a solid recommended charger? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HEU0GX4/

Only if used with the drok Dctodc regulator, that’s a power supply for it not a battery charger itself

1 Like

Im interested in a BMS but I live in Canada is there any way you could ship to Canada as well?

Wouldn’t it just stop charging once the battery reached the voltage of the charger?

What are you referring to?

Sorry I meant that when you connect the power supply to the bms input, will the BMS not just stop charging the battery once it reaches the power supply voltage or are you saying you have to time it and wait?

For Lithium charging it’s a 2 step process, first constant current(cc) stage, the charger sends max current with voltage matching battery voltage till “full” voltage, second step, constant voltage(CV) stage, with fixed “full” voltage the current is gradually decreased till 10% of the max charge current A power supply does none of this, you could technically charge a Lithium battery with a power supply but not for long…and a 48V power supply will charge to 48V…kaboom

1 Like

Oh crap I didn’t know that. So then how is everyone doing it with the laptop power supplies? I have never seen anything about having to regulate it

Lmao, they look like laptop power supplies…they are NOT laptop power supplies

FYI, almost all laptop power supplies are 19.4V

Sorry for all the questions, but this is new stuff to me. No one else has seemed to bring this up haha

Makes sense, I always figured there was a difference between a laptop power supply and a charging brick.

I have one that says lithium ion charger on it, and is labeled at 42V and 2A, will that just work by itself?