Urban Beast | Longboard / MTB Hybrid | 10s4p Li-Ion | Single Tacon 160 | Chain Drive | Ongoing Build Log

The one week build is finally finished and ready for extensive beach testing tomorrow :grinning:

9 Likes

Looks sick! Can’t wait to see how it works out. Those gears are HUGE so let us know any rock/impact issues? with chain maybe not as much of an issue. Shoot some videos if you can.

Great build man - hope it rides well. Are you going to add the foot bindings like @okp’s spud?

Probably freebord bindings

I’m using an 80T wheel-side sprocket because I’m using such a high kv motor (245kv). I still expect it to hit 20-25mph at WOT. The 45T on my 6s build (Project Paragon) is less than half the size :joy:

1 Like

i really love this, superfunky looks! hope it rides well too :smiley:

also hope your chain wont jump, you have only very few motor pulley teeth in the chain due to the wide angle of the chain ends! fingers crossed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I rode it for about two minutes around my yard and no skipping chain so far (after removing a half link that I didn’t need). I wonder how well it’ll fare on some hard braking.

Side note: the stock firmware on this esc (fvt maytech 12s 120a esk8 esc) is a lot more tame than the stock firmware on my 6s fvt120a (car esc). It still has a lot of torque, but the board won’t throw you off the back if you gun the throttle (I wouldn’t mind a more aggressive throttle though).

Didn’t work well on the sand, but it was a blast everywhere else and I got this beautiful picture. It also turns better than my other e-mtb so the angle brackets are a success!

10 Likes

The throttle curve is pretty nice on that ESC. How do you like the brakes?

Throttle curve is nice, but a little docile for my taste (for starting on hills). Brakes work well, but it feels like they’re either on or off; I don’t think the control on them is proportional.

Yup. Pretty much on or off. One of the firmwares I have make the brakes a little more docile.

1 Like

Can I ask a huge favor of you? Could you take two measurements off that deck? One of the wheelbase and another of the inside of the wheel/fender cutouts? It would be extremely helpful. I want this board but my enclosure may be too big. How did the flat enclosure form to the concave? My enclosure is 19.5 inches long.

1 Like

It was pretty tough to get my enclosure fit to the tub concave. I think it depends on how big the lip on your enclosure is and how much of the depth of the enclosure you use. My battery pack was pretty wide, so I didn’t have room for much of a lip on my enclosure. I compensated with some waterproof foam lining for windows (from Home Depot) and It worked very well. As for the dimensions: Between the wheel wells: 17in Wheelbase using the further rear truck mount (measured between the center of the holes): 21in

Best of luck with your build.

Thanks for the help! I’ll either have to choose another board or make another enclosure. All good.

1 Like

No problem. Better than getting everything and finding out it won’t fit :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there! Really nice board… I think you would win a place in a competition for the ‘‘unordinary’’ looking boards, since it is custom made and no other 8’’ wheel board I’ve seen is this short in lenght :slight_smile:

Anyways - I had a question - do you have enough clearance for the sprocket from the ground? I know e-longboarders are having their pulleys very close to the ground but their terrain is usually flat surfaces… so I wondered does it make a difference like hitting objects with the sprocket / chain or not…

Perhaps not as big of an issue for chain drive… but could be worse for belt drive, I think… although have not seen / made any tests how much impact it can make if your sprocket constantly hits little objects on the road :slight_smile:

If I were you with access to a cnc machine, I would have designed the mount where the motor comes a little bit more customized, something like this:

I think you could have cut out little ‘‘half circles’’ in between, where motor screw rails come. Now with the motor being also so round in shape, it sometimes make the mount stand out more than the motor :slight_smile:

Although it is up to you and you were the design creator, so these are just my thoughts on how it would have looked nice, if I were machining the mount :slight_smile: perhaps you can implement this design in the next builds / motor mounts if you plan on doing more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi was just wondering where you got your chain and sprockets?

This is awesome. What’s the angle for mounting the trucks?

So far no issues with the large wheel sprocket, Nice weight saving technique for the motor mount, but I left the extra beef because it seems to act as a heatsink (I wasn’t sure how hot the single motor would get while going uphill for an extended period of time).

I’m going to look into getting a CNC machine soon; I’ve been having my parts made overseas.

eBay lol The chain is 25 size

35 degrees :slight_smile: