Uneven Dual Rear Drive

they would almost certainly be different amps at different speeds and different temperatures too. however I have not done any specific tests other than skating.

Thinking about doing offset kv and offset gearing

Like 170kv on 14t and 200kv on 18t

Or is the spread between not enough?

Why not connecting them via CAN. The master needs to be the one with the higher kv rating. Then switch off the breaking when max erpm is reached. And of course switch off the traction control for that. You only need to set the same max motor amps. You even could use my watt mode in my modded firmware for that. When max erpm for the slower motor is reached then the vesc simply shuts this one off. But I think a even setup with proper motors like 6355 work better.

I am planning on building a board for cruising long distance and am planning on using a 400kv motor as the drive. I am about 140lbs and don’t need the acceleration torque, just looking for a decent top speed and long range. I plan on using 2 5ah 3s 50c batteries with a 150amp esc, gearing ratio is 17/44 This is my first build, any pointers are welcome and appreciated

I just read this same thing about your plan. I’ll see if I can find it for u

But I digress, this is a discussion about using two motors of different size and kw to have great startup torque and good top end speed.

This thread I think is for you to read. *too high KV motor

Thank you for looking at it, I do intend on going dual motor eventually, and was intuiged by the mismatched kv value, mybe could use in leu of a transmission to achieve a greater band of acceleration

That doesn’t sound like a recipe for long range, but then I guess it depends on what you consider long range. And I would agree with @Magixpencer that 400kv is too high

I have been in a situation where the belt snapped on the 280kv side of the UDR and needed to ride it home on the 430kv only. It worked but it wasnt happy.

1 Like

Belt snap :hushed: clearly I’m not doing something right…hehe How did that happen?

they wear out eventually. nothing exciting.

How many miles do you think you got on that belt?

no idea. it was ridden daily for about a year or so. it was a lot.

It is not normal for sure, but depending on system voltage combined with wheel roll out/ gearing it might not be funky. Hub guys are running <70kv but the Stooge is running >1350kv so… @Magixpencer prob more questions in another thread would be a better idea :wink: as it sounds a bit different

1 Like

Maybe it would be more appropriate to say that 400kv is simply not practical for Esk8

1 Like

Thank you, I will make changes and post again.

How did you do dual independent vescs? I’m very interested in this, but don’t know if I would be able to do it. Are they ran on separate channels or something?

Sorry for revamping the really old thread, I’m just super intrigued by this!

You have to split the ppm cable or use dual receivers. I’m not sure if canbus would work with uneven dual drive

1 Like

Split ppm cable with 5v cut on one end.

1 Like

In that case, could you use seperate brands of vesc? Or maybe even different types of esc altogether? I don’t plan on doing that, I’m just curious to see if it would work