Trampa Street Carve NYC Style

With the 6355 it have enough power to go off-road on hard soil and some gravel as short grass without problems.

It can handle a hill but not too many around the west side highway, I’ll get it to a hill and will make a video, after the snow storm, tomorrow will snow in the NYC area.

1 Like

How does the Pulley for the MBS wheels install ?,…is there a Bearing inside the Pulley hub?,… does the Hanger have to be Shortened ?

the pulley has a bearing and to install it is just a snap on, just slide it into the wheel.

So that means with the extra width of that bearing on each side of axle , your back end is a little woder than front end ?

No the trampa street Carve uses a 10 mm spacer to compensate for the urethane wheels, I just simply use that space to accommodate the bearing on the axel.

the front and back wheels have the same width.

1 Like

Respect @Kaly! This is one of the best builds i’ve ever seen, mad work! I would like to know about your battery range with the 7" pneumatics. It would help me to decide if i shall use a 10s3p or 10s4p Li-ion battery (with VTC5 2600maH cells).

the range with the 7" pneumatic i have not been able to test it yet. but from my previous build with eMTB i recommend you go for a 10S-4P or a 12S-4P The more Watt/Hour you can get on the battery the better for range and battery life

ok, thanks, i think i’ll do a 10s4p. I already have a bms and charger for 10s and 20 VTC5 18650 cells yet. I started to build a lightweight longboard with 10s2p for easy carrying but i saw the urban/street carver and had to order it yesterday. Who cares about lightweight :joy:

I have a question about regenerative braking in combnination with bms and 18650 cells, hope you can help me. I use Sony VTC5 cells with 2600 maH. the max charge rate is 4A, that means 16A with 4p. Is this really the maximum, 8A per motor on twin setup? What’s your experience with regen. braking settings on vesc? I used Lipo before with 50A charge rate, so no problem.

Second, i have a bms with different charging/discharging ports. I think i need a bms which uses the same port for charging and discharging to use regenerative braking, am i right? I think for now i use it without regenerative braking until i have the correct bms.

Well theoretically the braking with that type of BMS is a little compromise because the vesc will overload with the energy coming back and will release the brakes, but in practice many people are using those bms without much problems. in my personal expirience i have not try the bms with different ports so i can’t tell you for sure.

my set up just weight 22lb

Ok, thanks for info. For that kind of board 22lb is lightweight, that’s true! I was talking about a light longboard.

My opinion about ‘‘suggested’’ battery range

@rich I would definately go for bigger capacity pack, if I were you… Lower cost might be appealing at first… but once you start building it will be a lot harder to upgrade your pack later on… of, course, you will be able to install additional parallel packs. but then again - more space / planning needed to fit them!

Personally, I think a ‘‘good distance’’ for these ‘‘light commuter vehicles’’ would be / is - ‘15km / 9.3 miles’.

I’ve got a board which is able to do about 8km (5miles).. and there have been so many times when I would have rode more, If the battery allowed lol

Also, better capacity does not come alone for the range alone… you can charge at faster rates while doing ‘‘less harm’’ to the batteries, which means you can more quickly ‘‘pump back’’ valuable Ah/Wh energy into your battery…

On top of that… if you are from the ‘‘preserver’’ type of people, who like to be gentle with the batteries, you will consider the option to charge them only till 4.00-4.10v max, which again decreases the usable capacity a little bit but not too much (at least in my case).

So yeah, I personally think that ‘‘minimum’’ suggested emtb battery life range shold be in 12km / 7miles range.. 15km/9.3miles is even better… with some ‘‘margin’’ on top of that, you never know when after you have rode your board a little, that you might need to use it again… but oh no… you have’nt charged it yet enough to go riding further :smiley:

I hope you got my point here… :smiley: personal experience… so if you dont plan on go further distances with your board, you can throw my opinion in garbage :smiley:

– [Edit] I decided to do some theoretical calc for your battery, probably should finally find a calc, which does this for me :smiley: by itself

Distance with maximum capacity sqeezed for 10S 3P VTC 5 pack (not very likely in real life, as the discharge rates wont be low + at lower temp than 23C is a bit lower)

270 Wh (3.6v x 10 x 7.5 Ah) 16.88 KM maximum (at 16Wh/km) ** 15 KM (9.32miles) (at 18 Wh / km) 13.5 KM (at 20 Wh / km)

More realistic calculation: 253.8 Wh (3.6v x 10 x 7.05 Ah) / 2.35 ah usable per cell at 16Wh = ~ 15.88 Km at 18Wh = 14 Km (8.7miles) at 20Wh = 12,7 Km

16 Wh/km - ( @whitepony achieved something like 15wh/km with his older evolve, so I assume this is pretty close to what you can get) 18 Wh/km - What I have somewhat achived with lower speed but having big wheels (9inch vs 7 inch ones) 20Wh/km - Fast / harsh riding… lots of acceleration, higher speed)

Im personally having 192Wh battery… Im not using all of it… since I leave out on high / low range on my battery… it also gets pretty useless below 3.45v anyway…

So basically, it looks like you will get a pretty good/decent distance anyways…

Sorry about my long rant lol… I just try to improve my ‘‘battery mathematics’’ with doing all this WH / consumtion thing math…

So with 4P 10S, batt, you should probably, get something like 20Km (12.4miles) distance.. which would be awesome by the way!

Personally, I think, someone should come up with some numbers for 7inch wheels… have not seen much data there…

Plus, if you got dual, I think that changes the math a bit, too…

2 Likes

Wow, some nice infos! I think i’lll go for 10s4p and order a bms with charging/discharging on the same port. But i’m worried about that i only can use 16A max. regen. braking in total (4A max charge per cell). That’s not much. With Lipos i used 40A.

I thought the rolling resistance is less than mtb because of having no offroad profile and higher pressure. I use 9" wheels on my mtb, too. But i’ll know the difference in rolling resistance soon.

I need a min. range of 16km. when it’s like you said about 20km with single drive (4p) what do you think it is with dual drive?

With my first elongboard i had a range about 42km, so nice! I used Lipos 10s1p 10Ah, but too heavy und bulky. Your Li-ion Pack delivers less power below 3,45V? That’s like Lipo!

You can use more for the regen as that is not constant charging but only “on” for short periods of time. Regen is actually not charging your battery in a significant way - there are way too many losses.

1 Like

Good to know. :+1:

I dont know where but i think i read some time ago that dual drives eats up a lil more battery than single drive.

Maybe Kaly can answer this, if he still remembers any data for single drive setup :smiley:

I think chaka also said some time ago that there isnt much capacity left below 3.4v - 3.3v

Ive got to check my settings, perhaps a few times esc is cutting off my my board but non the less at 3.0v rest voltage, the underload voltage might drop to 2.5v or so…

Dual drive give less range but you’ll have more power and what’s best better brake.

About the about the capacity there is not that much once you go below 3.3V but it’s better to set things up for 3.0 V discharge to account for voltage sag.

Would be interesing how much % less. Maybe 15%? I’ll find out when I finished the build. First i’ll test single drive on the urban carver with 7" pneumatics and mount the second motor later. Then i can see the difference in battery range and performance. I’ll try it with kegel wheels 80mm, too but i guess i could lick the ground.

That’s exactly why I want it. Also for climbing hills and traction. Which deck do you have? 14,15 or 16 ply

1 Like

Hi Kaly, on your Holy pro deck , can you measure the distance (between the 2 holes) on the outer limit of the board ? Should be around 5" ? …,…i wanna see if battery pack will fit in between those 2 holes , then i would just block the inner holes .

Thanks

@Kaly just a feedback on the idler

I put everything together with the 19mm bearings, the difference in drag is astonishing, I didn’t had the chance to ride yet, but turning the wheel by hand I would say 2/3 of the drag, maybe half. The turning motion is way more fluid

@rich On the first board I have a 16Ply On this one I have a 15Ply

@Randyc1 The distance between the holes is 7 in

@Pedrodemio That nice to hear, on a belt system is the idler is position correctly the drag will always decrease due to the fact that tension on the belt will be less.

1 Like