Torqueboards Hub Motor Review

@Anorak234 - Let us know if you took it apart and how it is.

UPDATE: took a little while since I’ve been working on my own build, but today I finally got the chance to take this thing apart and see what was up. One of the magnets on the side was out of place, hitting the wiring every time the motor rotated. Took it out, went and got some epoxy, fixed it up.

Glad that it’s working, much smoother now as well. My friend who was not too happy before is now very much looking forward to riding again. I’m sure that this problem was not very common, it seems that where the magnet was just needed a little more epoxy, not a big deal at all.

4 Likes

Any sense of how it works at very low speeds - say 1-2 mph? (I’m trying to make an electric walker for a 96-year-old guy - think of it as a very wide electric board, with handrails. Needless to say, he’s not going to be tooling down the street at 20mph :-). I’m wondering about how a pair of these motors stand up at slow speeds - adequate torque, heating, power consumption. Anything you can share from your experience? Thanks!

1 Like

At 3s the motor gets hot very quickly, stutters a little bit at start and has decent torque. At 6s it takes a little while to heat up, stutters less at start and has decent torque. For both voltages the motor is exceptionally speedy though - honestly the best way to go slow for your application is to use a 15mm belt system with 3s, 145kv motors, and a 12:42 gear ratio. Great torque, and top speed is 4 mph

Thanks for the hands on and very specific advice!

I was intrested in a single drive hub motor do you happen to know the best for this use? I feel like hubs arent better than belt drives but I think for travel they are easier to carry with my modular pack

@willpark16 The best option IMO for the torqueboard hubs is single 90mm black w/ 6-10s setup

So I just started using this hub motor, and on the second day of use I got the same problem. What kind of epoxy did you use?

@Gabriel7845 I don’t really remember the name exactly, but it was a standard two-part mix epoxy. Not very hard to find at local hardware stores. Just make sure to look at the heat rating, I’m pretty sure the one I used is good up to 250F

1 Like