Torqueboards 12s esc overheating - Help!

@torqueboards Thanks for the link. I’ll have to get a couple of these. I can’t even find these connectors on Hobby King, and I thought they had everything.

Do you have to cut the red wire when running dual 6s only? Is that cause each esc supplies is own power to the receiver?

That’s a misleading statement. How hot the ESC gets depends on rider weight, ambient temperature, speed ridden, hills. Saying it doesn’t need air is too generic. His might.

The last two boards I’ve built (one a 10s VESC board) both had problems until actively cooled.

1 Like

@Mobutusan You would only need to cut it on one of the 6S ESCs and not both. If you cut it on both there won’t be any power going to the receiver.

Did you ever get that heating issue resolved?

@RogerD This was meant for the TorqueBoards 12S ESC and I haven’t needed to keep it out in the open although it’s always better too.

Thanks Dexter. I got a couple y connectors coming, so I’ll make sure to do this.

On the overheating front, I’m perplexed as to why these are running so hot. I tried swapping out my sk3 245kv with my Tacon 245kv, and still had it overheat, although I did manage to get almost 2 miles this time before it cut power. Then I tried the other sensored one, and that one overheated too in about 1.3 miles. Also, on the non-sensored that I’ve been running this whole time, I can easily get up to 25mph without topping out, but when I swapped the sensored one in, it topped out at 19-20mph. I’m gonna check the settings, but I thought they were both set up identically on the same firmware. I’m not sure what the issue is or if I’m doing something wrong, but this is frustrating. I think the only other thing left for me to try is to add a fan or cut open a scoop to directly cool the esc. For 170lbs. on 9s, with a moderately loose belt, on flat ground, I’d like to think I could go more than 1-2 miles without the esc hitting 170-180°F and cutting out, enclosed or not.

Somethings janky with that esc … Gremlins

1 Like

@Mobutusan - Just FYI. The person who sold you those mentioned he had no heat issues. So it could be an issue with your setup.

@torqueboards After testing the second, sensored esc, and still having the overheating issue, I’d have to agree. I just can’t figure out what else could be left to check that’s causing the problem. I’ve changed programming, loosened the belt, swapped motors, swapped esc’s, checked all connections, checked tightness of wheels/bearings, drilled holes in my enclosure for airflow. The only thing that’s stayed the same are the board, 9s batteries, mini remote, and BEC.

Out of curiosity, what are your normal operating temp for these esc’s measured at the heatsink, (in an enclosure, I assume)?

Could the batteries (9s, 4500mah, 35c) or the BEC possibly be the problem? Seems unlikely to me, but I’m running out of things to try besides mounting the esc’s completely outside of the box.

Hey, I didn’t get a chance to read your replies in that thread before I responded here, but great job with testing! That gives me some hope for fixing my issues, and figuring out my setup for these esc’s.

It may be possible that the internal resistance of that motor is high. Did you try a different motor yet?

I did try a 245kv sk3 and 245kv Tacon, with similar results. Maybe the kv rating is part of the problem?

Are you running high timing?

If your up for it send it to me and when I get time I’ll swap it and run it for 10 minutes or so.

@torqueboards I’ve run the timing high, very high and normal with the same results. I appreciate the offer to take a look, but I think there is something wrong with my setup since I got similar overheating with both the sensored and unsensored versions. After reading @Namasaki’s test results from that other thread, I’m thinking that maybe the combo of 9s voltage, 16/36 gearing, and single 6364 motor is pulling too much amps.

Did you switch up gearing?

Edit: meaning where you using different gearing in the past? Like a 12T?

So far, I’ve only tried 16/36 on 6s and 9s with the 12s ESC. Originally, I didn’t think there would be a problem with that setup, but I am gonna try 14/36 on 9s this weekend and try to run as close to full throttle for as long as I can, ~22-24mph, and see what happens.

1 Like

Bro, I don’t think the problem is your voltage or gearing. I did part of my road test with dual 6355 230kv. 6s, 16/36 gears and 90mm wheels and went full throttle up some hills and nothing got hot. I’m begining to suspect that this particular brand of esc does not like sk3 motors. My hub motors where similar to sk3 motors and the TB esc’s did not like them at all. They got hot all the time and I even burned one up climbing long hills. it could have something to do with the gauge wire they use for windings. or something about them, I don’t know. I’m using TB 6355 motors now and running them hard with no overheating problems at all either at 6s or 12s

2 Likes

Could he be getting some type of feed back into the esc some how???

I’m not even sure if possible or if something like that could happen…

Did you try single drive? The guy I got these esc’s from was about my size running the following setups and only had overheating occur on the sensored unit on hills in hot temps.

5060 TB motor 200 kv (non sensored) R-Spec 6350 190kv (sensored) 8s ~29 volts 20c (non sensored) 80 18650’s 8 x 10s with BMS (sensored) 97mm 16/44

It’s not an SK3 issue. My first motors were Sk3’s. They ran cool Sk3 50s and Sk3 63s.

The sensored if not connected properly will cause heat and may possibly fail.

Sk3s I got nearly 3k+ miles easy. Those motors are still working I just don’t use that setup anymore.

What do you think his problem is?