Topic created by Onloop - Is the Ollin VESC using upgraded components?

I was like “wow somehow he got a point” - until you started listing courses trying to diss onloop because he might not have the same education. Taking some university courses means shit.

Sorry if I sound like an asshole but people that feel superior just because they listen to a professor talk are simply idiots. You can at least back it up by showing the actual innovations you came up with and I compliment you for them. But I know that there are people out there that miss the innovating or “work” part (not you obviously) and that makes me angry.

2 Likes

C’mon it is my only reason to wake up…

2 Likes

Wow - this thread has blown up…

I think this is a common misconception. There are quite a few things made in China that are made extremely well. It’s all in the QC and design and oversight. When shopping for bottom dollar options - yes - usually a bad idea. But it can also be made in mexico, or malasia, or india or … (you get the point).

That’s cool, but maybe not something most folks can do. A lot of students here who are looking for the best bang for their buck. And compromising for a less expensive option. I get it, and typically buy top quality, but sometimes there’s a less expensive option that works well (i have a few SK3’s - not the best wires, but they work really well otherwise, and less than other options!) When you can find them in stock.

Totally agree. It’s disappointing to see vendors arguing back and forth.

1 Like

There is a huge difference between losing ones sh%@ and defending a company you have worked very hard for as well as defending a piece of open source hardware I am heavily involved in.

10 Likes

You both make valid points. My son would probably go for the less expensive but functional product. I see him do this with his racing drone. He is young and does not have too much money to spend on big boy toys. @chaka I definitively see that you were defending your position on a product you have spent countless hours and monies trying to make better for all of us. SO… WHO MAKES THE BEST VESC??? Oh no, here we go again!

who makes a better VESC (opinions)

• onloop
  • chaka

0 voters

edit: why did onloop move his post to the bottom?

1 Like

I am not an engineer. I am not the smartest guy in the room either… I am no better than anyone…

But I have a dream…

All I want to do is make better quality more reliable products, lower the cost to produce, improve my customer service & warranties, optimise my business processes & educate the masses about building awesome electric skateboards at home.

Get in my way and their will be a battle.

…so…yeah…I might not be the best educated but I won’t fucking give up… I’ll admit my mistakes… and i will fight my way to the top…

Don’t start a business if you ain’t got the fight in you… you will need some fight in you to succeed…

Peace.

8 Likes

It may be fair to say your experience with Enertion was bad or that you had issues with his product – what is not fair to do is to dismiss or minimize Onloop’s contribution to the community because it’s not a facet of the community you necessarily identify with i.e. the promotional side. I think there’s this myth, especially amongst those that are technically minded that (1) sales and marketing is easy and that (2) innovation, great work or a great product will sell itself. The truth is (1) it isn’t and (2) it won’t. Nothing will kill a business faster than not being able to find or create a customer; not lack of innovation, not poor quality, nothing – and it’s really hard to do. This applies to promoting the community too - more new people helps to push the envelope forward.

To further my point, every time Onloop creates a customer for himself in creating visibility for this community he creates a potential customer for Chaka and other builders. As a result, these other builders in the community have more time and money to spend on innovation instead of sales and marketing. For example, your first step in becoming an Ollinboard Co. customer was to first become an Enertion customer. It does really suck that your path was painful but the silver lining is that it eventually lead you to a product you seem to be happy with which you may not have found otherwise. Personally, I only found out about Ollinboard Co. and became a customer through the visibility Onloop has created. I don’t think I’m the only one. Onloop should get loads of credit for that.

4 Likes

Well the answer to the topic title appears to be a yes. Unfortunate to the whole community that he is being tight lipped about the changes, Open source projects are open and upfront.

I can see why Onloop is upset, I believe he honestly thought that the Ollin Vesc using upgraded components was just marketing speak, He most likely thought that if it was changed it would be out in the open and a bom would be posted.

Onloop is probably not as naive now, and probably feeling dejected and stabbed in the back to a certain degree. My Assumpton is he created this place for everyone to get ahead, there is more than enough pie for everyone.

Its good this whole fiasco is out in the open now at least.

1 Like

I agree with you, I did not know about Ollin, or Longhairboy’s companys until I came here through enertions website. I found out about enertion and the Raptor before this site. Fiasco’s like this must make Onloop question what the hell is he doing all this for sometimes.

Way easier to find and cheaper i should have at least 10 of those usb android cables

1 Like

I agree. @onloop before this forum all I bought was Chinese clones, now I’m purchasing from Enertion, @torqueboards, and @chaka for my first builds.
I just want to take the time to take you 3, @Michaelinvegas, @JLabs, and everyone else that’s posted builds and info on this site. Can’t wait till I have my first true self build!! You guys have been so helpful!!!

3 Likes

@furryfrog…ditto…That is exactly what is going on with me as I learn more about esk8s. I just purchased EVERYTHING from Enertion and I believe I made a good decision. I started reading a lot and decided to build one for my son, however more towards a Trampa. I am learning about products from chaka, longhairboy, Trampa and other builders like @guyguy said… but I got my foot in the door with ENERTION.

@onloop: I disagree with you onloop. It seems to me that you are a pretty smart guy. You don’t necessarily need an advanced education. It starts with a passion for something you love to do, the desire to always be better at what you do and a heck of a lot of hard work. I am considered “edumacated” by most and a hard sell. Trust me when I tell you that my credit card will remind me just how smart you are this month after buying everything for my first build from you.

1 Like

I must always remind myself that my business succes is secondary to the success of the community… if people can’t successfully build esk8… if newcomers are unable to source parts from various locations/vendors… if folks are unable to choose what form their creation will look like… unable to find the information they require … etc etc…Well… than there is no market… there are no sales… there are no successful businesses…

I need competition for my business to be successful & the community needs successful businesses to exist so that it can grow and attract new members to bolster the community numbers… excellence & innovation can only occur when the market is growing… strength in numbers…

If we, the collective, plan to take this niche market mainstream… if we are to compete with the Chinese factories and the crowdfunded startups we need to remind ourselves we are all part of the electric skateboard builders movement…

Let’s roll as one. Only together will we all prosper.

9 Likes

annnnndd close thread

4 Likes

I’m with you bro. This community of builders, bad asses, and bad ass builders are going to fuck some commercial shit up yo. Let’s bring it!

6 Likes