Third enertion vesc failure

HAHAHA Sorry i meant what ESC. I have been typing the word vesc so much that its automatic now. And where can i get one.

diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-12s-120a-car-esc-opto-hv/

Lol… And this is the problem folks… you want me to spend the money to fix it? But your not willing too.

Everyone wants the cheapest stuff, no one takes any responsibility for faults that occur and everyone thinks its perfectly acceptable for vendors to take a loss to fix problems…

I have sent r-spec motors & batteries to vedder for testing & I program the vesc to work with our products… if you use other stuff and change the settings expect a fault.

I have a warranty. Buy it. Problem solved…

2 Likes

Lol… You didnt quote the whole sentence. Here is my sentence: Sorry i am not going to spend almost the cost of another vesc just to get mine replaced especially when i am certain it is going to fail me again.

3 Likes

sounds weird that you killed 3 vescs in a row on the exact same setup - I would start to think there is something funky with the rest of your gear. maybe very long/thin battery wires? possibility for motor wires to short under extreme circumstances? connectors coming loose and shorting? excessive motor current settings, maybe a very high kv motor that pulls a lot of current for quite a long time?

in which moments did the vescs usually die?

2 Likes

Maybe this could be your problem?

No :older_man:

Turnigy SK 6354 motor (245 Kv) - I can go up hills that cyclists get off their bikes to go up, and I’m 90Kg,

Not so weird in my experience. My mate (GodeatDog - on here) is on his third Esc I believe. I set the 1st one up for him (and electronics is my thing). Worked ok until a firmware update and then dead when performing the motor sensing test. Second one blew the DRV chip after a month or two for no apparent reason. He’s on his third now I think.

All wires correct gauge, good soldering, nowhere near over current. 10S, SK 6 series motor. Cooling fan on ESC. His would have high temp cut out kick in without a fan. I’ve the distinct impression the VESC in it’s current form is not up to hauling grown adults around. It’s just too delicate. At the very least , it should be robust. I’m on year three with the same car esc I started with. Same motor, same weight, same board, same wiring, but 6s instead of 10.

1 Like

There was a bug in the first edition of the latest firmware that caused the current ramp setting to multiply during write and was blowing DRV chips. That bug was just recently fixed.

TL;DR Summary from reading kingbing buys 3 VESC. Each one fails. Bug found in firmware causing current ramp setting to blow DRV chips, fixed.

Not to high jack thread. From my knowledge and following the VESC’s movements. The open source VESC is not a plug and play device yet as of today as one user mentioned in comments above. Partly requires some knowledge. It’s is still being improve by Vedder. Next iteration changes board design to separate layout into a high and low power sides with no DRV blowouts. This is an increase in reliability of device. Currently no ETA on when next iteration will be release.

1 Like

The battery wires are the original wires, i always duck-tape the motor (on top of teh heat shrink) and esc connectors as much as i can and my motor has the lowest kv for a sk3 which is 149KV. The VESCs always fail me during the ride, that being said I always connect the battery and the VESC correctly and if there was a short I wouldnt be able to ride for a bit before the VESC failure.

I havent protected the positive wire coming from the capacitor board for the first two VESCs but after a close inspection, the wires are not pierced and there arent any burned marks. However for extra protection I trimmed the pins with nail clippers on the third and fourth VESC, added a dab of hot glue and even with that i had a failure.

Ok, gotta be something else then

@Jinra has made a topic for that parameter error firmware bug.

Is it actually dangerous ? I don’t really know. When I saw the topic and checked mine, both VESC’s had these on 50 since I’ve played a lot with my settings to try and fix my battery cutoffs. It could be related to the cutoffs though…

if you flash newest firmware it fixes the bug. Not sure how dangerous it is but I’ve seen a couple blown drvs with high max current ramp steps. I think it dictates how to ramp up current when throttling.

Whats the latest version?

still 2.18 but with bug fixes. get it at VESC.net.au

I have my original hw4.7 VESC on my GF’s Vanguard build - going strong now since July 2015.

Still running fw 1.13 (if it ain’t broke…) - and BLDC not FOC, on 6 or 8s.

1 Like

do I hear longer? going once. going twice… but does she really ride much.

1 Like