Thinking of building my first Eboard, how does this look

it’s the never ending conundrum, save money now and pay more later, or take the pain up front and save some cash down the line. It’s always hard to make that call :slight_smile:

Another factor just to add to your confusion - most 18650 packs are not going to be allowed on a plane, but lipo packs can be pulled out of the board and taken hand luggage.

I’m fine with it not being allowed on a plane, don’t travel too often. I’m 99% sure I want 18650s as long as they’re <= £50

a pack is going to be a lot more than £50. A BMS and charger alone will run you close to that figure…

most people charge about $400-600 for a 10s4p pack. use that as a reference

1 Like

Even if I’m only getting a 6 cell pack? I know the BMS/Charger will run me about that but I’m leaving them out the price. I can find 6 18650s online for less than £40

6S1P is not going to do you much good

@DavidBanner So can you make custom packs? I’m in the UK and considering a spot welder but would prefer someone to make them instead.

MrMidJit, i’d recommend a 18650 battery pack over LiPo, it’s technically safer and can be built to spec. Unless you want the absolute maximum capacity for the space, or superior discharge capability…or ease of purchase and implementation.

Also check here for a FOCBOX instead of a Vesc, i don’t yet have one but according to posts here it’s better. And these are already in the UK, so no customs

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/focbox-110-nano-x-40-uk-europe-eu-buy-new-price-reduced-16-16-3-3-available-next-day-uk-delivery-d/43705

1 Like

True that man, I think I’ve only ever seen one other eSk8 around here, and the guy wasn’t hanging around to strike up a conversation.

What part of the Midlands are you from?

@TheLastEnting @atenner I’m also in midlands (Nottinghamshire), but my legs healing after a bad fall shaved the skin off my knee and scratched a tendon, hoping to be boarding again by march.

Would it work until I have the funds to upgrade? As long as it works and can be upgraded to a 6s2p or 6s4p in the future I’m fine with that for now

Sorry to hear that man, hope you make a full recovery and everything. As long as your boarding again by the time the weather brightens up though.

it would work, but it’s probably not worth recycling the cells from the first pack, too much work.

@riva_00 I sure do.

What spec do you have in mind?

Just going to point out that the linked BMS is only for 6S packs and is only 10 A discharge max, which IMO is nowhere near enough. You’re either going to cook your BMS or it’s going to constantly keep cutting-off, because you’re going over the current limit.

I would have also pointed out that the single 3S Zippy battery is not not compatible with the BMS in question, but seems you have other inquiries in that area already.

@DavidBanner awesome, I’m looking for a 10s6p or 4p, however I’m looking at 3d printing 2~3 individual battery boxes, and having everything kind of modular. I don’t want to hijack this thread though, so I’ll PM you regarding this.

1 Like

you can bypass the bms for discharge. I use a 10a bms with 60a max draw

Yes you can, but OP nowhere stated that he would bypass the BMS for discharge, and as OP is a newbie it might be plausible that he would try to use it for discharge

2 Likes

I’m living in Derby. From leicester originally. I guess we’ll see more people soon enough. Would be nice to get a local group ride on the go :+1:t2:

@riva_00 shame to hear that. But good you’ll be back up and riding soon. I’ve (touch wood) not come off yet, and wont.

Well, now up to 5 or 6 riders. That’ll totally count as a ‘group’ ride :joy:

Also are you on the Facebook page ? ‘UK e-sk8t’

With 1P and max current of 20A from cell he will catch it on fire faster than BMS will cut off

Yeah, haven’t mentioned it but I do plan on bypassing the bms for discharge. Been advised to elsewhere