The State of DIY - Where it is now and where it's going

Here’s a case in point

Mod done to a Boosted

The problem with making a gearbox is size…

It would only be possible with 90+mm wheels, unless you wanted to run like 5tooth to 20 tooth :joy:

I haven’t hit tissue paper yet, but I have definitely hit sand :slight_smile:

Hahah yeah man Ask @MoeStooge…We did a group ride in Venice California…one minute he’s behind me…second later…gone… a stupid piece of tissue paper just got sucked up into his gears… and you know what happens then right? Lol good thing Moes short like me…wasn’t a far fall to the ground hahhahaha

3 Likes

lol ill start work on a fully enclosed direct drive for bigger wheels once I finish this one

1 Like

Not to dissuade you at all – but why not build on Jenso’s design of the two gears just being on the same plane? But instead you implement a helical gear design for better tooth binding? Also it will be easier to cover up then. This sideways pinion and gear design you are doing looks different and similar to a car’s transmission transfer case but I think the cover will be tricky. I think I remember you posting about a helical gear design in the past.

It’s just an idea - do carry on - still curious how your mount will look.

too mainstream :wink:

ill post some pics of the mount in a second

@GrecoMan we should have someone split this thread…you def should have a place to talk abt your designs…people are interested !

Hey @treenutter help hahah

1 Like

Precision gears like the helical are very unforgiving and need to be aligned precisely.

1 Like

haha that’d be nice…

no more hijacking :joy:

I may go just make a new thread. Be on the lookout!

When do you think these sets are ready? @Michaelinvegas

1 Like

with any helical gear setup the tendency is for one gear to want to push out of plane from the other gear. This then requires a fairly hefty frame to keep them all together. One possible solution is to use the (I’m sure there’s a name for it) type of gear they use in 3D printer extruders

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/thumb/d/d6/Stoffel15_Wade_Gears.jpg/630px-Stoffel15_Wade_Gears.jpg

If you’ve got a 4 axis mill handy you can make them using an End Mill Gear Cutter which, last time I checked didn’t exist but now does

Trampa has breaks you have to buy their trucks so you can mount them to it

Herringbone gear, the only problem is manufacturing, but they are not worth in our case, the axial loading exist, but it’s cheaper to solve by using the correct bearings and a new axle to support them than make a gear like this

2 Likes

lol you guys should stop hijacking this thread and come discuss on the dedicated thread…

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/jenso-style-direct-drive-for-street-boards/34811/121?u=grecoman

Good point - transferring…

Thoughts on the meepoboard and definitely I assume more coming like it

Semi-diy and semi-not

Is this the new face of diy?

Could one put two opposite helical gears parallel to each other (on the same shaft), creating what appears to be a herringbone pattern, and cancel out the axial loads?

Yes, but by solving one problem you can end up with a lot more, of the gear are not perfectly aligned one half will take all the load, and making then aligned is hard, you could weld booth, but them there is a chance that the heat will misalign them further