The Racers Room

Id be interested to see how these perform. Im guessing that without the side wall flex they wouldnt be quite as grippy.

Good ol fashioned trial and error brother. Test fail tweak it and test again till we get it right. Once we nail it down who ever has the wheel will have the race.

1 Like

Donā€™t mean to interrupt the thread but you can still get a pretty bad concussion from a low speed crash with a motorcycle helmet. DH helmets crush under impact like a bicycle helmet.

1 Like

Is that urethane in the core?

Yup 10 chars

Correct, helmet will only save your skull from splitting apart but wonā€™t save your brain from concussion otherwise known as traumatic brain injuries (tbi). Thereā€™s even cases where tbi leading to other problems such as Parkinson or Alzheimer. Our sport really isnā€™t for the weak hearted :confused:

you r my hero

imagine what im gonna be like eventually after all my fallsā€¦

You n me Mike will be racing wheelchairs in the nursing home at 55. Honestly any blunt force trauma to the head is bad for the brain. Had I been wearing my sk8 helmet an ambulance would have been called that day gaurenteed.

2 Likes

haha well race those wheelchairs up pikes peek!! My helmet save my life quite a few times also. but no telling what long term effects will be. I already feeling dumber this year.

1 Like

Honestly itā€™s a rc car tire stretched over a urethane wheel. Itā€™s what I would call a rendering to get peopleā€™s gears turning in their brains. If no one steps up and tries we donā€™t move towards a grippier wheel for road course racing our esk8ā€™s.

I think @Hummie has nitrane rubber sleeve for his new hub motors. maybe he can help.

I think this could work if you shaped the outside edges of the urethane and then used some kind of spring clip or ring to retain the rubber in place.

1 Like

That would be awesome. @Hummie how about it. Urethane rubber hybrid wheel for railing corners under 40mph.

How about glueing them to the urathane to test the basic idea?

2 Likes

Personally @MoeStooge there is so much speed to be found in the pneumatic tires it is not funny. The reduction in rolling resistance using high pressure tubular construction tires and latex tubes such as used on a racing bicycle is huge, across all four wheels you find hundreds of watts of power compared to to butyl rubber clinchers with out sacrificing grip.

Or then you have the tubeless construction of HP motorcycle tires now favoured?

True! Since I widened the SixShooter hubs we finally got the contact patch where we wanted them to be. Now, with less psi than we used to run, we have much less rolling resistance. Learning from my real job on a 200k lb. Excavator running over liquified ground, it was sinking so bad we had to order wider tracks. The thing basically floated over the surface after the install

True to that nature you roll lighter on wider tires. There are many variables though. We really lucked out with the new hub and tire combo.

2 Likes

Id love to see @MoeStooge set up his spur gears on a set of your six shooters. Id consider them as well for my 4wd trampa build if they were compatiable with nowinds direct drive kit but only hyperstar hubs will work. I dont think I can go with the lower profile tires either as Ill need the ground clearance for batteries. As u guys could probably tell, the taller tire I was using folds over under heavy side loads. I tried more tire pressure in them as well but it made them less predictable at the brink of traction.

Curious why you couldnā€™t retrofit Nowinds kit to the six shooters? You lose about 1/2" of clearance I think.

Im sure it could be done, it just wouldnt bolt up without some sort of adaptor which Im not particularly inclined to make. If you had the adaptors made I might buy them off you though, it could be in your interest as many people are starting to use nowinds kit. The smaller circumferemce wheel would also require a higher KV rating to reach my target speed and Im already struggling to find that in the motor size Im considering.

1 Like