The Racers Room

The fuk is that? I have so many questions! But first, is that really read as 169k mph?! and what batteries are they using?!

Yeah, really 169mph measured over a flying 200m. It looks like he has made his own Lipo packs, possibly reassembled some with some sort of power rail system to eliminate most of the wires and give him max burst amps.

But I am only guessing it looks CRAZY… GOOD :smiling_imp:

If it wasn’t for the rooster tail, you would lose it… lol

2 Likes

If you guys do GMR I will make it. I dont know how Id get 800wh of battery to Colorado but GMR is 10mins from me :smiling_imp:

1 Like

GMR and the mid section inside azusa is all of those things Hummie. And I fully agree with you.

3 Likes

Just realized I was thinking about San Marcos Road in Santa Barbara. Sadly, a quick google search shows some recent bans on skateboarding on those roads.

Belts, hubs ,gears. GMR Rally will be well represented. Some exciting shit happening here. Colorado can wait. Pushing our boards to extremes and setting the bar for the world is a very “Old School” approach. This is the way it was done back when men came back from the war, built it and raced it. Racing produced the need for stronger, lighter and better components and they got built. The need and innovation trickled parts from the Racers to the manufacturers to the public.

3 Likes

Such a cool thread. Props to all you guys for pushing the envelope and raising the bar! My personal speed limit is around 30mph at this point, so I don’t have much to add except that I’m watching and learning intently. And it’s been a week since the last post, so back up to the top!

3 Likes

Am I fast enough to join the group?

1 Like

So the concept of racing e-boards has been thought about for a while. If you dig around there was even an organized spec board racing organization. Right now e-board racing is an “OUTLAW” sport. With no organized sanctioning bodies it will remain as one. Our SPD group has laid a cornerstone for others to emulate. As these outlaw events happen are organized in other regions, board counts will grow and governing bodies will form. Till then get organized. If production boards is what is prominent for your region, organize and set the bars for box ready boards. Imagine 10 box stock boards running on a track course at the same time. Hell yeah I’d be in on that. To answer your question, thinking is a wasted move if it is not followed by action.

1 Like

That’s just like Nascar!

Though I really wish to see DIY or custom boards racing with weight limits as main rules.

Example : you can’t go above 8kg total, pick your poison and race the hell out of it! Any wheel drive setup allowed.

Given different courses layouts would be provided it would be awesome.

What about length limited categories? Max xx millimeters in length and width ? That’s a way to go.

In my homeland we race custom sail boats (look for Yole) , with time it went down to sponsors allowing better budget for some teams, but the core was talent and teams working together to get the best of everyone.

1 Like

Keep rules simple run what you brung single ,dual, or quad motors stock or modified and that’s it. It’s not NASCAR it’s about innovation

3 Likes

Fully agreed, but my concern is to see some stuff really out of league come to race (I mean non skating-type EV).

Let’s make this more simple then : no category. Race what you bring. 1WD, 2WD, AWD, more WD, whatever. One rule to get in : take a chalk or a spray bomb, draw an average board size rectangle on the ground. If it fits inside, you’re in.

I need to try this out here and report, gonna finish assembly first !

1 Like

I think @MoeStooge has the right idea bro, he has a life time of racing behind him and I’d hazard at a guess many more in his family. Enjoy this early innovative period, having more rules will just alienate potential riders and when the board counts get up high enough you can start splitting things up. The important thing is when that’s done it is done in a way that engages the eSk8 racing community.

How will this get done in the future, who knows. You just suggested a size, I think weight classes would be more productive. But any choice now would be premature, just get out there with what you have and run what you brung. Last time these boys got together half the fast times were done by people using boards that belonged to others.

4 Likes

So, I think I have something to contribute now. I’ve been doing rallycross racing with my Subaru WRX off and on for the past 10 years. On 9/16-9/17, there is a rallycross race and rally school coming to Santa Rosa, CA, about 15 min. from my house, and I’ve got the ok from the race organizer to bring my mountain board out and run a few laps on the course. I’ll try to get as much video footage as I can, but it will be interesting to see how me and my board handle a tight (for cars) dirt course. As much as I like the drag racing, and road course racing, I’d LOVE it if there were eventually some dirt events for the mountain board guys and gals. Kind of like the mountain board racing events they have in Germany (thanks @Duffman). Ideally we’d have both on and off road races at one event, and maybe even mixed supermoto style on/off road races running @psychotiller hubs or MBS AT wheels.

If anyone is interested in seeing what these rallycross events look like, check out the photos and videos on the Norcal Rallycross site.

http://www.norcalrallycross.com/

And here is a fun little video of the actual site in Santa Rosa.

3 Likes

Awesome dude :muscle: is going to be pretty funny if you are not the slowest guy on course. Will all depend how your wheels/tires get along with traction/rolling resistance. Have you got mud pluggers? It looks a bit lumpy but your’e going to be able to straight line a lot that a car can’t. GL

You might need to get a pair of these?

1 Like

I Posted earlier about a hybrid rubber/ure

thane wheel. Searched out and found a prominent rubber moulder who specializes in making tires. We discussed different ideas and concluded a 90mm pneumatic would be expensive. So we went with the hybrid using a molded sleeve and bonding agent. will be testing and putting these through the ringer. With this setup multiple durometer compounds and tread configurations can be made. Hope for the end result is a low cost high grip cap for urethane wheels. Last night’s test looked promising. Will keep posting as I punish these hybrid wheels.:checkered_flag:

9 Likes

This would be great on an airless hub. Could probably get some custom timing belts cut to 50mm wide and have it “key” into a toothed design?

2 Likes

We discussed it and CNC aluminium hub is a doable option. Also a multi durometer tread face is possible.

I was thinking something like this. Would be interesting to hear a professional opinion on it.

2 Likes

I will throw it out there and see what he says. Not sure how side loading will work on this. A cool concept.