The Racers Room

Not sure I could afford the insurance on an event but I do like to get together and ride. My friends and I have never had much trouble determining what works and what doesn’t from riding around and having fun!

1 Like

Set an individual record on your own then. No insurance needed, just document it with video so you can prove definitively that you did it. If you think the distance category is important, set the trend. Like I said, I’m happy to maintain the performance records for all to see as long as you can prove it really happened and we can set some parameters on what makes it a fair test that others can replicate and try to beat.

I’m sure we can create a “cruise around and have fun with your friends” thread if that is what you are about. This one is about testing performance against other boards and riders out there.

3 Likes

I bet a street luge going 60mph on the highway would be just about the most efficient high speed vehicle. Is there a challenge for that. anyone have a nice luge for high speeds? every time I laydown on my board it feels awful but if you really want to go fast it seems the fastest position by far on paper. I wont go over 20 laying on my skateboard. @MoeStooge how about making something really fast. with your dampers and maybe a pivot point for sharp turns but something you could go 100 laying down in comfort on. you could fall asleep youre so comfortable. I like the figure 8 for boards and their agility but all out long distance high speed and battery savings in safety it’s got to be a laydown looking at the leanboard this looks like a board that would be stable. maybe it’s just in the foreground but looks huge

2 Likes

From what I understand there is less then 2000 active street lugers worldwide, and just a handful of builders.

There used to be a downhill open event in Nevada or something. It was open to anything on skate wheels, and in the end it was the fattest rider on the most luge type board that won the speed runs.

why hasn’t one of them put four motors on their board and gone out on the highway and done youtube videos? found one

6 hub motors and a slick street luge…could be the fastest.

2 Likes

Your need better wheels because street luges at top speed eat urethane up, and sometimes they just melt. Also maybe some kind of flag so people can see you.

I would love to hold something like this in NYC. How big of a space did you guys have to rent out? It’s probably too late now for summer, maybe for fall or winter we can set so thing up.

2 Likes

@BigBoyToys knew about a parking lot that was empty on the weekends and usually has guys driving karts around on it. We got there before the kart guys and staked out our spot early. So no cost thanks to Derek and his brother scouting out a spot. The only downside is that we didn’t have quite enough room. @MoeStooge was geared for a higher top speed, but we didn’t have enough room for him to get up to speed and still have room to shut it down safely.

Do a little hunting around and you may be able to find a spot on the cheap.

2 Likes

Concept is cool. Speed + rear steer = speed wobble. I already know there are aws cars and trucks however the rear steer is locked out or greatly greatly reduced at speed. It’s intent was not to make cornering better but increase turn radius for parking lot turning. We use mechanical rear steer in dirt oval auto racing. The car leans opposite of a skateboard to get the same applied steer effect to the rear. They do this to load the left rear to create balance across the rear axel and help counter centrifical force of unloading the lr tire on turn exit. More forward bite = more power able to be put down to the track. . Going fast and straight on a skateboard is about eliminating rear steer, reducing front steer, eliminating any truck play and increasing the wheelbase. While the lean board is a novel concept I am skeptical that is has any stability characteristics. Looks like a hub option only.

2 Likes

I have been bombing up hills and recording it for a long time. I admit I should make more videos and I will when I can find the time.

Speed run up a gradual hill climb on a stock Ollin FreeRide, about 4 miles between cattle guards on hwy 195 leaving Elephant Butte,NM. 200lb rider.

Demonstration of acceleration, Stock FreeRide.

Another quick climb video

Might not include as many stats as you would like but I have been doing my best to demonstrate what is possible since I became an eboarding fanatic.

6 Likes

Making progress on the Pikes Peak build. Any ideas on nailing down a date. I hear the weather starts getting shitty nearing October.

1 Like

I know, I am feeling the pressure to get that build finished. I have a few more pre-orders to complete before I can work on my own personal builds. If it gets to be too late in the season we will come out to Cali and make a run up the GMR instead.

4 Likes

Cool video. You’ve really got to know those roads well to avoid those washout grates. Nice clear roads to ride though. Looks like fun and the board does really well on those climbs!

Here’s the vid from last week’s performance day:

3 Likes

That would be sick! Do that and I will do my best to get video coverage of it. Iconic road for downhill vids so it would be awesome to flip the script and video people bombing uphill.

3 Likes

GMR would be ok by me. Keep it on the table

1 Like

I like that 100 meter dash time. Almost as fast as Usain Bolt. Anybody know if that was 2wd or 4wd board?

2 Likes

I imagine we could all crush usain bolt in any race with a decent board.

I’d want a course with so many sharp turns you never have the chance to go over 30mph. one long straight uphill will just be a competition of motors, which is nice in its own way, but as a sport the course should be athletic. I like mt tam. similar to pikes peak in length maybe but much sharper turns and nice trees. could go over the top for downhill the back side. .

8 Likes

looks cool @Hummie till limits are found though… :muscle: let the motor wars rage I want to see a couple LMT 3080’s on a Stooge mobile. Or even the 3040 which weighs in at only a kg… but if your going to go there… So cool you select your own wind, rpm = power/ torque they say so it’s all about your reduction drive, might need a 3 gear drive to eek out all you can. tires will be the issue/traction, but going up hill helps there.

2 Likes

100m was a dual motor at the end of the day 4v down from full charge and ran out of gear before the 100m mark.

1 Like

Here is a little baby LMT 2260/5 on a boat @MoeStooge doing a 285kph pass… interesting to see his home made power delivery system to deliver the current he needs with small/light batteries.

2 Likes