The Orange Firefly | Turnigy SK3 6374-192kv | 10S3P 25R | VESC 6 | 3D-printed enclosure & motor mount | Custom deck

It is indeed very flat in Denmark, however we got hills now and there :slight_smile: Maybe I should go with a steel or aluminium pulley instead. I just find the idea of 3D-printing parts very appealing :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, thats good to know! I have already contacted Frank, and I believe he added me to the mailing-list :slight_smile:! So I am waiting to recieve an e-mail from him!

@Titoxd10001 I am very interested in one of your kits, does it fit a 83mm flywheel? Thanks :slight_smile:

Looks nice, do you have more pictures of your board? :smiley:

I don’t have many since I don’t take many lol but sure

6 Likes

I’m good lol I run cnc aluminum wheel pulleys I just use an abs 3d printed spacer to make them work on my 97mm flywheels. My motor pulleys are steel. I’m going to rework my motor covers and print them from pla in order to investment cast them in sand.

1 Like

@solidgeek I actually have a motormount set including pulleys and trucks. I am willing to sell it to you for DKK600? It is about half of what I payed for them from DIY…

I have just recieved my 40T and 15T pulley from @Titoxd10001! Looks great, and fits my ABEC11 clones perfectly - thanks, you just saved me a lot of enginering :smile: !!!

Thanks, but I have been working on a motor mount myself :slight_smile:! Just finished the 3D-sketches today, and been trying to carve the design in aluminium on my CNC. It came out very good, however I did not have the time to finish it completly.

Looking forward to next weekend… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

So, it’s been awhile since I had the time to work with my board, however since the VESC 6.0 just has been released for Beta, I simple had to finish the mechanics (motor mount etc.). Instead of the aluminum motor mount I had been working on, I decided to try something new. I recently bought a 3D printer, so I thought it would be fun to try and make an all 3D-printed motor mount. And I came up with this design (inspired heavily by the one from DIY).

It consists of to parts, heavily interlocked and reinforced. The locking ring fits perfectly on a caliber truck and is tightened by one 5mm bolt and locked in place with another 5mm bolt. The whole motor mount fits right over the caliber-ring, and is locked in place with 1-5 4mm bolts. To make sure the motor mount doesn’t bend I have made room for two solid 3mm*80mm steel rods, that slides in from the tip of the motor mount.

Sooo… I printed it with some high quality carbonfiber reinforced PLA in about 4 hours, and it fits perfectly :smile:

It feels incredibly stiff and robust, however if it will last more than a few miles, I do not know :stuck_out_tongue: Hopefully it works untill I learn to push myself ;)! I’m looking forward to recieving my VESC 6!

If anyone wants to try to 3D-print the motor mount themselves I would love to share the Autodesk Inventor / STL-files :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That looks awesome, the way you reinforced the motor plate is inspired. I’d like to print one if these in ABS and give it a run, if you don’t mind sharing.

1 Like

I would also like to try printing them :slight_smile:

Thanks, I am happy you like it :smiley: !

I have made an Google Drive folder with the original Inventor-files and the STL-files :slight_smile:

I am using a 295Mmm belt, because my pulley setup (40T/15T) is quite big. I am not sure it will work with a standard 265mm belt :slight_smile: The distance between the motor and wheel axis is 77mm. Also the mount only works if you have a hollow wheel pulley, or some flat 4mm bolts - so the wheel pulley doesn’t collide with the 4mm bolts.

2 Likes

Cool I’ll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks for sharing.

I’m looking forward to see the result :slight_smile:

@solidgeek I had a hard time finding this post :grinning:.

I still have these rods if you want some, just let me know the size you want.

I had some issues with my printer, it get out of level sometimes and my ABS slurry was too weak. Re-election and re-add, printing now in blue ABS at 100% infill.

I’ll post the result tomorrow, gonna take 9 hours or so to print, but I’ll install it in my beater board tomorrow and see how it does.

@mmaner funny how different people get the same ideas :stuck_out_tongue: It seems to work great with the rods.

Well I salavage my 3mm steel rods from two old CD/DVD-drives I had lying around. Those old drives got some pretty neat and reusable components. So I probably don’t need anymore, but thanks for the offer :slight_smile: !

Sounds like you got yourself a tiresome 3D-printer :confused: I have no experience in printed ABS using ABS slurry (juice?), do you think it is nessesary to print it in ABS? The carbon-fiber PLA seems very strong, and I think it would be easier to print with (if you have some of course)?. Looking forward to see the result!

It’s not the best printer, but it works pretty well. I have a little pla but no cf pla. Abs is what I normally use, pretty strong stuff.

Hows the carbon fiber mount holding up?

Well I’m still waiting for my new VESC6, so I haven’t been able to do a real test-ride yet :frowning: However I have tried putting quite a lot of stress on the mount, and it doesn’t seem to bend at all (the steel rods probably adds some stiffness). So far I’m very impressed with the strenght :slight_smile:

I will make an update on its performance as soon as possible!

1 Like

Hey, solidgeek! You’ve really got a cool build going on! I’m liking the 3d printing aspect to the board and think that I might end up doing something similar. Are the designs made to fit on the Caliber G II or are they for the Caliber IIs? Otherwise what trucks are you using?

Hi solidgeek or anyone that knows, I really like the idea of 3D printing the motor mounts and was wondering what sort of motor it would fit (63mm or 50mm diameter) … or the hole spacing. Also is there enough space to have a dual motor system?

Hey @Julmust :slight_smile: Thanks, i’m glad you like the idea! I’m not excatly sure, the ones I bought came from a guy on eBay, this is the ones I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371926081730?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

@lucasbuckleynz the design is made for a 63mm motor or one with the same holespacing as the G160 from Turnigy :slight_smile: The mount is quite thick, so I’m not sure if it will work for a double motor setup.

At least you will need do use a little shorter motor than my G160 :stuck_out_tongue: The holespacing is:

1 Like

Okay, great @solidgeek . Looks like they are the same actually! Where did you buy your abec clones and how much were they?