The nicest hub motors! For sale cheaper than anywhere!

I lol’d. I was so tempted to say something. What can we give him for his excessive use of bold text and hmmm-ing?

Is it possible to build a 59mm hub motor?

I’m seriously considering making a poll to see who actually reads this thread… or gives a crap…

I did when he was making hubs and explaining how they worked

4 Likes

Wow, I just read this entire thread. My eyes hurt. But anyways, I believe I want to try the 2 hub version with my nickel board trucks. How much would the 2 motors cost? I’m in the US and may even be close enough to pick up. Please let me know if you think it’s a bad idea. I’m really new to this. I’m smallish and light and would be doing mostly stop and go city commuting. I like the smaller form factor.

1 Like

Since these are still in development and they are freaking huge I’d recommend getting some more reasonably sized hubs if that’s what you’re going for. I believe 2 motors would give you waaaay more power than you need.

Yeah but I’m just saying these are likely more expensive and capable of way more power than they need. Doesn’t hurt to have to headroom but I think in @Sapphirinia’s case it’s not nessecary to have such big motors.

I’m thinking the smaller ones not the big wide ones. @NickTheDude

Hummie doesn’t have the old ones in stock

Oh, I think he stopped making them.

1 Like

Oh, I thought he got a bunch of the steel ones made at some point. Hmm…

He did. But he doesn’t have any more.

Oh, ok… :cry:

So either way, do you think my idea is a good one? Or at least doable? I really want small form factor, I figured hub motors help that. Use my own penny (nickel) board trucks, and wheels. Replace the back 1 or 2 with the hubs, and file down the hub to make it the same size as the other wheels. I like the color scheme and smaller more portable is more important to me. Or maybe somewhere in the right direction for the hub motors if he doesn’t make them anymore. I got nervous about the whole truck breaking thing and one wide wheel doesn’t seem like the best idea for me.

@Hummie I just saw that enertion sells their narrow truck (so no dremel is necessary) as an individual item - and it is on sale right now. Might be worth a shot…

Also seen people useing penny board trucks and two larger wheels on the back.

1 Like

The solution to me is to optimize the smaller motors. I was just reading a post that mentioned motors below 100 kv, the copper is too thin, and causes a lot of heat buildup and losses.

He might be able to fit a bigger stator in there also, and the bearing choice. There’s ways to optimize the small motors. I’m still planning on a 4wd with the smaller motors complete. Just need to work out a deal with a VESC supplier.

Too much power is not the problem though IMO. I think the real problem is that 16 AWG wire is being used in a high amp situation. 16 AWG wire is not meant for high current motors like what we need. I’m temped to rewind my 4wd motors to a high kv with a ticker gauge wire to see how it compares in heat. Or to get 4 new motors winded this way.