The nicest hub motors! For sale cheaper than anywhere!

5 Likes

From the pattern formed we can say that is fatigue related, not abruptly, but if its way to much power or material failure i donā€™t know

@Hummie whats the length of the motor?

The surface looks plane, so it doesnā€™t seem to be torsional fracture caused by the motor. Overload breakage usually creates a much rougher surface so it canā€™t be that either. My guess is slowly spread fatigue fracture caused by surface defects (due to the dremel) combined with a oscillating force, for example riding on a rough surface or nocircular wheels which would also explain why the progression lines are almost horizontally.

Wellā€¦ If you think abouth itā€¦ except if you had modify the hanger, youā€™ve only had 1/3 of lenght of your motor holding to the truckā€¦ so your problem come from Leverageā€¦

probably for the best to find out now instead of later. too much leverage seems the obvious reason and in fact all the hub motors out there are putting more leverage on a standard 8m axle. in the future gunna squeeze a 30mm stator in the small motors instead of the 25 it was, which is just doable, and change the bearing to the same big one that was in the long motorā€¦and call it done.

two motors especially with the vesc traction control really was a better performer anyway. no slipping on wet or loose ground and with the sharpest turns never ended up with no power while the motor is off the ground.
tried and tested and FAILED!
the few who already bought these long motors from meā€¦how bout the bigger short pair insteadā€¦cost wise it didnā€™t make much sense in the end to do the biggie motor either actually; the 2 motors cost even a bit less than the single big. Or I can send it back. anyway i donā€™t think thereā€™s an assured solution. a stronger axle is harder to come by I think and a lot of work to even see if it would suffice and thatā€™s just a test with unsure results again. stainless is weaker than a standard axle I believe, more brittle, and ti would also be more brittle I think.
might have to settle for second place:cry: ooo wait ā€¦no ā€¦Iā€™ll still be the fastest:grin:.

the goal of more powerā€¦continuous powerā€¦that was the real goal with the big motorā€¦the quest is back to limiting it to the small span of the kegel wheel. bit bigger and will fine tune the air coolingā€¦and blast a co2 canister into the motor when doing mountains.

3 Likes

dremels donā€™t add cracks. 10mm axles are still a gamble and very hard to find. Iā€™ve made up my mind and counted to 3.

you need something like Enertionā€™s new rear truck for their hub motors- itā€™s a super narrow truck with more axle on each side to acommodate the wider rear wheels.

except itā€™s the same situation with the enertion motors and thereā€™s more leverage along the long span. curious to see how they will hold up as with an 8mm axle the standard steel is pretty ideal as is.

4 Likes

So what we now need is a set of precision trucks with machined titanium axle and lots of $$$$$$

thereā€™s these:

but even in their disclaimer it talks of them breaking. too much risk . too much leverage. too much money

devin please give it a rest.