The nicest hub motors! For sale cheaper than anywhere!

if my estimations are correct I think the penny trucks might just be the perfect match.

9 Likes

6 Likes

the flinstoneā€™s car would be great if it turned. Maybe that steering wheel is attached to a foot.

@caustin using the motor parts to make regular wheels would be expensive and weigh a lot.

Doing as lowguido shows for two motors is a great solution if the deck isnā€™t too low as to cause wheelbite. If running just one motor you could mount it further along the axle than Iā€™ve done, closer to the center with a standard wider truck and have equal stick-out. Iā€™m limited with my drop deck with a drop-thru though.

the rain in the bay area is like never before in years!

3 Likes

Hummie, those wide wheels and motors look fantastic! I would go with 4x4, why not? Probably get some all-terrain benefit from having so much contact area!

its funny seeing how people have such different ideas for these than I do. I like my one wheel drive with 80mm kegel road wheels. why not 4x4? I have my own reasons but others see it as a good idea. 2 motors likely could put out way more power than youā€™d need, but judging from other vehicles in the world thatā€™s not a good reason to not make it :laughing:

Hmmm, 3D print some molds for testing wheel designs:

yup, I suspect the 2 motors coming my way will suffice to start with. Interested to hear how @evoheyax or others go with 4/AWD. Looking like 2 motors in dual rear config might work with penny-sized trucks (and deck cutouts), but not seeing a good dual diagonal solution with any semblance of symmetry yet, lol.

Well, the longest paris truck are 195mmā€¦ and each of hummie new hub are 110mm so the hubs alone are longer than the truck. Even if you put 3inch penny, you still get a overall length of 285mm approx

the 195mm are not the full width Explore Joey Pulsifer

plus the wheels usually have a slight overhang as well so it could fit quite nicely.

motors are 101mm wide and the standard kegel is 56mm wide

Sorry my bad :flushed:

just wanted to say I kicked the vesc up to 140/40 motor/battery amps and didnā€™t feel any torque steering with full throttle! It also seems now that I loosened the trucks it can turn probably just as tight as with the narrower trucks. Iā€™m very happy with one motor and a standard vesc so far.

this is from yesterday going on low power and tight trucks but circles are always fun.

the video is constantly stuttering for me but maybe better for you.

5 Likes

^^^ video speed running ok. With a single hub of the new design could just one side of the truck be milled down to give the same stance for both wheels

1 Like

it could be done but without doing that this works with as low a deck as can be used with 80mm kegels

Iā€™m having flashbacks of flying control-line airplanes with .049 Cox engines :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Canā€™t wait for your speed tests.

3 Likes

when I was a kid I wanted those gas motors and rc planes but never had the bucks and later more so wanted to make a 3/4 scale World War one bi or tri wing replica you can fly. Make it in your garage and take off from the local soccer field to cuba. Only 80 yard take off and landing room needed. More appealing to me than making a human lifting drone. OO the control-line planeā€¦on a stringā€¦doing circlesā€¦I get you now.

Lately Iā€™ve been feeling older and riding on just 9s and pretty happy doing maybe 25 max. But Iā€™ll have a new deck going with 12s shortly and I also want to see what speed I can hit and compare to the past speed.

a huge improvement was finally listening to devin and cranking my motor amps up to 200 on the vesc. Iā€™m really ecstatic with the new motor and the vesc at 200 motor limit. smoother, quieter, less cogging, even throttle, and full power from lowest speeds. I recommend trying itā€¦although Ive only ridden maybe 2 hours without anything blowing up I think itā€™ll be fine.

Maybe it is not about the 200amp limit just about the ratio between battery/motor/total amp (even ratio)? It would be nice if you can test it with the proper ratio at 100amp? I would be very interessted!!!

Talking about smooth: Did you ever think of doing a sensored version?

yes as you say and the ratio is very important for the smooth throttle at least and thereā€™s the math somewhere to figure the ratio but luckily for me it was done for me. if you just crank up to 200 motor amps and dont do the ratio at least at slow speeds you will have more power regardless of the battery number. a high battery number giving you more power at higher speeds. the low speed punch makes the slower speed riding much more fun and Iā€™m not afraid of traffic as much with it.
I wonder if itā€™s maybe more inefficient, although I dont really care and will gladly take the better performance, but with more amps being pumped through at less than 100percent duty cycle. (100percent duty cycle being on full time) . putting it up to 200motor amps is increasing the power that is being used at less than 100percent duty cycle when the esc is less efficient (and I heard also the motor) but these inefficiencies are pretty small.

between riding and fixing broken things and this and that laziness I dont get much testing done. More so riding comes first and then fixing in that order and itā€™s always the receiver or the canbus. but found my iphone and my logging chip and will be at it. things move slow.

I have some sensors I was planning to add and try but now more than ever I dont feel its worth it. another part to break and complexity when its pretty damn good already.