The legitimacy of a trademark on an opensource design

@stewii, the shape of things to come… :point_down:

(…but don’t expect any future design seal of approval, apparently someone already got the copywright use for hexagons in the UK)

3 Likes

Belive me I would like to take part in the Trampa hating train… But I still think that those PCB design are too damn close.

imageimage

Also, I do agree with everyone about the copyright and all that stuff… but I think I about we have statements from Vedder himself, since this is his design by right, since the development start post Trampa.

1 Like

Then try to put a nike shoe on the market simply changing colour and placing your logo on it. I would say you would be in trouble doing so. The argument that the products are different because you used your logo will probably not help.

Frank

That’s were your argument falls apart. You keep calling a 1 to 1 copy aas if you say it enough times that will make it true. But its absurd. The dimensions are different, the port placement is dissimilar, the colors are different. To use your own analogy with shoes…go look at Vans and Reef skate shoes, they are pretty damned close but still dissimilar.

1 Like

they’d probably bitch and moan if someone else came along and started making basalt mountain board decks too.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Haaaaaa… I just found out were you got screw @trampa. Maybe you should have a talk with Benjamin

OPEN HARDWARE… I’ve just saw it

12 Likes

That’s exactly what I said above. Poor bussiness decision based on conviction than patenting brand name covers everything.

4 Likes

mic drop

8 Likes

the top of vedders forum states all projects are: open software open hardware as well as direct dialogue from him just read back…

5 Likes

I think that one of the reasons they move the project to his own website and forum… but they did it too late :man_shrugging:

4 Likes
3 Likes

what you’re doing is morally wrong, and you know it.

it’s time to come back to reality, nobody is gonna buy your $300 vesc 6 just because you decided to trademark it and fuck a whole bunch of vendors over. you need to take a seat and accept that.

5 Likes

Nike’s first supposedly original design, the Cortez, was a blatant copy of the Onitsuka Tiger Corsair. The Adidas Dragon looks virtually the same as the Mexico 66. Nearly every sneaker company has a copy of something with their own logo on.

3 Likes

it’s really going to twist this story … stewii is not going to eat the bisness of frank and trampa will not flow after the sale of ESCape … TRAMPA has also questioned and reflect on the prices of its VESC 6 to attract his clientele again … me the first I prefer to save a few hundred euros must not be con talking well about a hundred euros … but actually stop denigrating one or the other because it does not serve them because neither would be there without Mr. VEDER.

2 Likes

Again, technology and design are two pairs of shoes.

The technology and software is OS and you can design your own ESCs and market them. There is simply no reason to copy an existing design. If you design an ESC, you could easily make things different. When I go into a shoe shop, I can see hundreds of different shoes. All of them are shoes, but al of them differ. As a consumer this gives me the advantage that I have a variety to choose from, and the companies offering their shoes can sell their products based on differences in design and quality.

All I am saying is that you should make your product differ from the products of your competition. Why the hell on earth do people think the only way a HW 6 can look like is the exact way our product looks like. This is BS. There are 1000 ways to design it differently.

Frank

I think this needs to stop before it gets worse.

Two lawyers have already confirmed Trampa and Frank are full of hot air and their claims are unfounded.

I will never buy a Trampa product. Ever.

5 Likes

It is different, you keep arguing against a proposition that doesn’t exist, that’s the main reason that so many people are taking digs at you. Your making up an issue that doesn’t exist so you have a reason to threaten someone. Its pretty sad at this point.

I’m starting to think your pushing this to make people re-design for reasons that have nothing to do with function just to cost them money and close the price gap with the Trampa VESC6. It’s a decent attempt, blatantly dishonest and amoral, but it doesn’t hold water and everyone sees that.

3 Likes

fuck a whole bunch of consumers over

FTFY

5 Likes

Yep it’s the only logical explanation in this whole nonsense that Frank is telling us.

2 Likes