The LANDWHEEL electric hub drive

hi guys.

this is indeed BS for this kind of money. i contacted eileen . she admits the first batch was faulty she says everybody gets a replacement 2nd batch wil start shipping 15 september . my board wil be in this batch as well , il keep you posted

Hello everyone , I’m new to the forum . I write from Italy , I also bought myself a landwheel and unfortunately as I read in the forum also my after less than 10 minutes is burned .

ask for a replacement asap. I think they are really sry and want to correct their mistake. they are not bad people, they just rushed the release a bit too early. I hope in the next batch you receive this issue will be fixed, give them a 2nd chance plz!

I agree with @cantstopme about Landwheel people not being bad people. From my conversations with them, they are normal people trying to make a honest dollar with a business, a for profit business which is totally understandable.

What they are, are not skaters, There are sales people, designers and engineers, but they don’t seem to have anyone there who actually skates and USE their product for it’s intended purpose. Rolling down a small street barely able to balance and turn is not a true test of your products potential. Melting wires covers would’ve been noticed by any riders on this forum in one riding session.

1 Like

them being bad riders is no excuse tho. surely they had other options to test their unit under stress in their factory. They need to learn to pace themselves and double check everything and every unit before release. They lack, what the Germans are known for and almost have too much of: thoroughness. And that almost always results in a waste of energy and resources.

Here are some pics of the inside. This particular drive will work, but turn off after a short time. Plastic around battery pins are melting a bit. I believe the wires are 16 gauge. I wonder if I can just connect a lipo to this?

1 Like

Here is a pic of the removable battery

2 Likes

Thanks for the pics, I assume this it the first batch before they knew of these issues?

I’m really interested in this drive system since it’s priced significantly lower than Mellow. I would love for someone to give an input on how to improve upon this thing. Replace with better wires?

They told me the batteries were $70 each. I too would love to just make a battery pack for this intead

wake up dude! there´s nothing honest about landwheel. they lie to you and tell stories even knowing they are not true. they even told you “We use LiPoly, it is safer than Lithium-Ion” I had this “drama” with them for over 2 months. how come they don´t see these boards are burning after turning them on. you can give your honest dollars to these honest people.

5 Likes

Take a look at a board from “longboard larry” called “humu” (real name is Humuhumunukunukuapua’a). I’m on my second one and I love it! They are perfect for mounting a motor and batterypack.

No need to say “I told you so” or as @bbq870 said “wake up dude”. Some dumba$$ is going to have to test these out, I guess I’m that guy. I already put together an awesome DIY and have a Boosted 2. I got this as an extra for friends with no board.

Anyway, I don’t have time for a real long ride so I’ve only tested it a few blocks. Hub motors are quiet and smooth as you all know, there’s no problem with that. Batteries haven’t caught on fire yet. And the board seems to have good torque, smooth acceleration and braking.

Remote might be put together wrong as the forward/reverse switch is illogically flipped where the forward position in front is actually reverse?!

These pictures shows the two issue I have AT THE MOMENT, I’m in contact with Eileen at Landwheel to see what can be done. There are burn marks on the battery that weren’t there before. I noticed a screw “missing” after the ride, turns out it was actually broken off!

Those battery contacts remind me of old Motorola phones

Is this a problem? The board seems to work fine, my concern is longevity and safety while riding. Thanks for the lesson.

great…article about drone batteries, same concept

“Why should we avoid sparks ? to avoid damage to UAV’s battery connectors (gold plated contact areas are damaged by repeated sparks, the plastic of the connectors will be burned, etc). Some sensitive electrical circuits do not like short bursts of high currents. For example, from experience, an attopilot (voltage and current sensor) circuit has been damaged by repeated sparks using a 6S battery…”

those contacts will eventually wear away from getting pitted by the little sparks and eventually stop making an electrical connection

would the solution be stronger springs behind those pins on the drive?

Maybe…

But maybe it’s just the design of the contacts … but since the battery is clipped in…there will always be some type of movement at the connectors

What’s the connectors on the boards? Are they like protruding nubs? Flat as well?