The Kakashi EMTB | 8S Lipo | E-Toxx Belt Drive | Trampa | SK3-192Kv

Let us now how it goes… seems to be a very odd behaviour, think you’re the first one who complains about such ‘‘uncontrollable’’ circumstances…

I assume there are not much customization options for your esc. Have you tried to decrease acceleration or the max throttle limit?

I think you should be asking @nowind how to configure the esc if you have problems with that (It seems he has had similar esc to yours)…

Other than that, I’ve found an interesting clue / thing others have not implemented a lot, some folks (or in this case, this specific one) recommends to set a ‘‘acceleration delay’’.

Here, take a look at this, it seems this guy know what he’s talking about:

Throttle ramping

Because sensorless R/C controllers can’t really control how much current they send to the motor (and current is directly proportional to torque output), and low-speed starting can be erratic and hard to control, it is useful to have a “ramp” somewhere in the throttle chain. Without ramping or some other kind of control input damping, sudden jerk motions of your hand or foot can result in the vehicle responding unexpectedly such as a sudden application of power. This is not only hard to operate, but it can be outright dangerous if you are in traffic or around other people.

Search for ‘‘throttle ramping’’ and read forwards

Some of the ideas might be worth implementing, would love to see how they work.

Site:

Sounds scary mate. I would go with the 2.4 Mini Remote too. Its the one i linked in one of my emails (-;

Get well soon mate.

I think the settings are fine on the ESC. There are not many options and it is already on the lowest power setting.

Reading up on the winning remote it seems it is a very unreliable remote. I should have listened to @Nowind. Even without the motor running there is a noticeable lag with inputs from the controller no matter how close it is to the receiver.

I have ferrite rings coming and I figured out how I can re-wire part of the electronics to keep wires away from the receiver without much work at all.

Yeah, I’m regretting my decision. I have one coming soon anyway.

How are the Maytec’s coming along?

Been using the GT2B since day one with absolutely no problems. Can’t even imagine riding around in the city with a sketchy controller. Would have been flattened by a bus or tram by now. Thought I would mod it to make it smaller but it’s actually no problem at all. Good ergonomics and so solid, in my experience. Make sure you solder connections for extra reliability.

I dont think that your problems are foundet on the ESC, as you said they are not that much options for programming. As long you set the throttle calibration correct it will be good.

Its easy to proof, on full throttle green led apears, on full brake also.

its an Transmitter/Reciever problem for sure, if you google winner remote alot problems of users apears, for example:

Yeah Maytechs are waiting for the 2mm Keys to mount the drivegears, then they will be tested hard …

Both the ESC’s are working fine and on full throttle and break the light goes green. I really don’t trust the remote, it does not feel right and there is a 1 second lag on any commands from the remote. It’s going in the bin as I could not sell it to someone knowing how bad they are.

I have another on order form esk8.de, one of the mini ones so I’ll wait for that.

On a good note, my shoulder is feeling a lot better. Should be all mended tomorrow or the day after.

So my mini remote arrived last night and I had enough time to get everything installed, including the ferrite rings.

I actually installed the rings and tried out the Wining remote first. There were still issues with random speed bursts and terrible range with even my body blocking the signal. Anything more than 10cm and it would become unreliable.

I then installed the Mini remote and the total opposite happened. Range went from sub 1m in my kitchen to ‘I can walk out the kitchen, down stairs, out my flat and across the car park’. A lot more responsive as well.

So I’m leaving work a tiny bit early so I can have a ride before it gets dark. Fingers crossed we ha e no rain!

And finally I got to ride Kakashi for 20 mins after work. Seriously, I’m not even going to think about selling the Wining remote I have, pure dangerous. With the mini remote, zero issues.

Ah it was nice wizzing around a local park. GPS clocked me going 16mph top 10mph average and I had fun in the evening sun and will have another longer ride on the weekend but need to do a little extra wiring and give things another tidy.

Love it

1 Like

Hah, I assume that is not the max speed this board is capable of… Can you tell the theoretical max of your setup? Would love to find out what gearing ratio you got and what is the max possible speed with this thing (beauty)… :slight_smile:

Its a 12:72 ratio with a 192Kv motor, 8S and 200mm wheels so should be 22mph max. It was a lot of fun to ride and I’m going to take it along a bike path along the river over the weekend if it is still dry. If I can find my gopro I’ll take a video.

1 Like

I have experienced a similar problem on an eMTB I built with Dual MAX6 ESCs, twin SK3 6374 motors and 6s 16,000mAh battery . . . my solution was to develop a small board/firmware that I have placed in between my receiver and the ESCs to ‘manage’ the PWM signal.

Effectively, when the remote PWM signal is increased, my board/firmware ramps up the speed to that requested in a series of smaller steps over time (i.e an acceleration curve). This means that, even if you slam your remote to full from neutral, the acceleration is ‘managed’ so that you have a smooth (and safe) increase rather an immediate leap/‘jerk’ to the higher speed/power. In a similar manner when the brake is applied, this too is deployed in a smooth (and safe) way.

When there is a loss of signal from the remote, my board/firmware sees this as a sudden and massive reduction that is then managed to effect a smooth deceleration to a stop. Should the remote suddenly cut back in, rather than causing a ‘jerk’ that throws the rider off, the my board/firmware transitions this into to a smooth acceleration and increase in speed.

Since I built my board/firmware into my eMTB, I have experienced no issues of the type you describe and I now enjoy a relaxed riding experience as smooth as butter . . . effectively, I have ‘tamed the monster’ to a degree that my children can now ride the eMTB smoothly and easily.

1 Like

That sounds really interesting. I have a few friends who want to ride my eMTB but I’m more worried they are going to hurt themselves. This little management module, something to care to share with others?

So finally a nice and dry day I could take Kakashi out for a ride. I’m not so terrified of riding him now and really enjoyed the ride in the park. Carving is just so much fun!

Here is a pic from today (Bonus castle)

6 Likes

Yes, happy to share. Take a look at my build where I show it mounted on my eMTB (http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/dorian-wiskow-emtb-build-trampa-holypro-17-twin-sk3-6374s-twin-max6-escs-6s-16-000mah-lipo/10859/8)

1 Like

Wow, that’s great! I believe you have built the ‘‘throttle ramp’’ function I was talking about in about 2 threads…

Will check it out… I do hope u offer some diy or ready built modules for this!

When you had the issue with bursts of acceleration, which hand was the remote in - the one nearest the back (and the receiver) or the one nearest the front (and farthest from the receiver) . . . The reason I ask, is that in my experience when holding the [Winning] remote in the hand at the front of the board I had frequent intermittent signal loss. When I changed hands and held the remote in the hand at the rear of the board the problem went away.

I always had the remote closest to the receiver. The range on the Wining remote is terrible compared to the mini remote. Since switching I have had no issues with sudden bursts of acceleration, the difference was night and day between the two remotes. The only issue I have with the mini remote is my big hands but it is so much more reliable and the range is huge in comparison though I have not tested its full range yet. I have gotten 15m away with 3 walls between me and the board and no issues with responsiveness or control. I could hear it but not see it lol.

I’m not sure if the issue with the Wining remote is the controller or the receivers. I might try pairing the remote with the mini receiver but then I’m not sure if I would still trust it.

IMO your body should not block the RF signal at such a short range, if if does then it’s just plain dangerous. I have had zero issues with the mini remote and control inputs just feel so much smoother.

Today I quickly grabbed my board during my lunch break and went for a ride after work. Just as I got to the park it started raining a little and stopped so I went for a ride. Damp grass is a little bit sketchy so no hard carving. I still managed almost 19mph according to the google fit app. With the 8S2P 10,000Mah battery pack I get about 25 minutes of constant riding on grass and averaged 12mph for 6 miles of riding before the battery’s ran out.

I’ll get to ride again in a few days if the weather is good enough. Too much fun these eMTB’s once you get the hang of riding them. I had the fear to start but now I’m getting the hang of it.

I’m going to have to think about bigger batteries at some point as I’d like to have about 30-45 mins riding time and I did cheap out on the batteries to start.

Good stuff @EssEnn … nice pic! Where abouts in the uk are you? The weather really sucks in this country doesnt it! Its a pain in the butt to scroll back up to the top now im typing, so i cant easily check, but which batteries are you using?