The iBoard | Loaded Vanguard | SK3 6382 168kv | 10S Lipo | VESC ESC | 83 mm Enertion Powerwheels

Yes! I did proper motor detection, it worked flawlessly! The calculated kv is even pretty close to 168kv… No wire has jumped off or anything :frowning: I’m still able to connect to the VESC, and do various readouts, but when I try to accelerate, it says DRV8302 error…

1 Like

so its still booting? whats the DRV8302 error? you can type “faults” or “errors” (not sure anymore) in the BLDC gui console to get an idea why it has the error (like under voltage, over current, xyz).

I get this when I’ve tried accelerating once:

Sorry to hear that! I’m load testing all the VESCs before sending them out, so it also might be a configuration issue. DRV fault doesn’t mean that the DRV is blown automatically, but of course it can be an indication.

Can you please post a picture of the motor config, the BLDC tab and the VESC (if possible) please? Also, what BLDC Tool version are you using, where did you download it and when? I’m asking this because there have been faulty versions of the BLDC tool 2.17 and 2.18 around for a few days which can cause troubles as well.

Of course! I downloaded it on May 25th from vesc.net.au and I believe it’s the same version as the one on the site right now (2.17-2.18). The VESC is running firmware 2.17. Motor config:

BLDC tab:

The VESC:

Wasn’t this myth busted by Jacob? He said he does not experience any issues and it looks like only people that don’t even know what VESC version they are using are having trouble - so it’s most probably user related. http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/faulty-v2-17-2-18-bldc-tool-win-osx/4213/10?u=maxid

Downloaded a new copy on vesc.net.au and also updated the firmware on the VESC to 2.18. Still a DRV8302 error.

No, the first versions uploaded around 25th May were containing bugs which were causing different problems. There als were some customers from @chaka who had issues and failing VESCs based on this!

@fraannk, those values seem to be realistic and the VESC is not showing damages (those marks at the FETs are normal due to the shrinking of the tube, so no problem). Can you please check all the soldering connections again, they might have come loose due to vibrations. You can remove the shrink wrap for this, no problem. Also please check all the cables going to the battery and to the motor. If possible test with another motor too (just doing the motor detection). It also could be a motor related issue, shorting cables or so.

In any case, we will solve this - I want to see you riding on your board! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your settings might have caused your DRV to fail. Your motor current max and min should be 80A and -80A (as per SK3 6374 data) and your max ERPM should be limited to max 70 000.

The VESC draws a curve with the motor max-min, and limits the output with the batt max. It is very important that the VESC has as much good information about the motor as possible, including motor detection. Bad setting can result in a voltage spike that can be fatal to the DRV

@elkick I checked all the connections, and they look great. Hmm, I have a very teeny tiny outrunner motor, would it be possible to use that?

Limiting the amps to the motor, would that not just make it even safer? And just sacrifice performance?

1 Like

no, this is not limiting the amps, the BATT max limits the amps. the vesc uses the motor max-min to draw a current throttle curve, it stays within this curve with batt max-min. if these values are off, this is when damage can occur.

Okay. For my SK3 it should be on 70a then. It says that on HK. :slight_smile:

1 Like

so your motor settings are not that off, but max ERPM can damage the drv, i went through 3 vesc before understanding this… but then again, you said you were cruising, i destroyed my vesc during some bench tests at full throttle

1 Like

@elkick Hmm, the really weird part is that it is able to see when I turn the motor manually. It can calculate the rpm as well as duty cycle and everything. It just won’t spin…

1 Like

@Blasto does these two ERPM limit settings actually do anything in this config? aren’t they basically set to infinit as I understand it, my 190kv motor is doing a max of around 7000 rpm on 10S. Still trying to figure out all these VESC settings.

I believe you should multiply your RPM with your motor “T” number/2. Like my motor is a 168kv 16T motor, so with 10s my max RPM would be 42V · 168kv = 7.056 RPM, and then to get ERPM: 7056 · 16/2 = 56.448 ERPM. You set it to 70.000 ERPM because I read that is the max the VESC will operate 100% stable at. I’m not entirely sure though, this is also very new to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A small update: New day, still DRV8302 error. (Thought i might have to cool down or something) A new, better picture of the VESC itself:

Looks ok, you could try it with the small outrunner motor to check if it’s the VESC or maybe the other motor. And please apply “read default config” to reset the values completely before doing the motor detection. Also, when switching back reading the default config values is always a good idea prior to detection and configuration.

Okay, tried with new motor, still the same error. I’m not entirely sure this little motor is 100% functional since it it a long time since I last used it, but it really should be working. I don’t have any others to test with, but I don’t think both my motors are broken at least. So I believe it is the VESC that is the problem unfortunately. :sob:

DRV8302 errors are not uncommon and not always due to rider misuse. They fail. I know Ben has changed some layout and other things to help with some voltage surging (which does a great job frying DRV - i know i did it twice). I found a sure fire way of killing mine while bench testing - hard start/stops a few times too many and too quickly. (don’t do that)

Regardless of what lead up to it - you almost certainly need to replace the DRV chip. About $5-6 for the chip, and a hot air setup to remove/replace. I had help doing mine and it took about 10-15min ea with me asking dumb questions along the way (slowing it down). Realistically it probably could take about 5 min if you know what you are doing.

HTH -GL!

1 Like