The Heavyweight | Custom Deck | Roja Hybrid Trucks | SK3 6374 149kv | Custom Hub Motors | 10S3P | VESC

Soooo, decided to do all wheel drive and thanks to @chaka got a sweet piece of hardware ready to make it all work together. Now just waiting on some hubmotors from @jacobbloy and I’ll be ready to set this thing up

8 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Switchable Dual or Single drive boards

BEAST MODE… this is very cool.

4 Likes

@Wanderer your board trailer set up is really cool. How are you using that?

This is freaking sweet!

looking forward to seeing more updates :smile:

Just be careful with the battery current setting in the VESC, the max battery current for each VESC needs to be at about 10, at least to start with. Maybe creep this up until you start blowing fuses.

read over this thread again:

@Wanderer if you got all wheel drive, why not as well build a larger wheel hub motor? You have serious power for mountainboard terrain! You have both traction and the power to do it :smiley:

Someone has done it

Don’t work at the machine shop any longer so do not have a cnc at my disposal, so building my own pneumatic hub is out of the question now. Will have to wait for someone else to do it. Always thought it would make sense to have the motor can of the hubmotor have a bead for rubber tires rather than trying to figure out good ways to mount urethane, with the added plus of having a cushion of air to keep some road vibration from wearing away the motors. Nice thing about urethane though, is it lasts much longer and has less rolling resistance.

2 Likes

I see. I agree that the major drawback of a hub motor and urethane is the vibration would make the motor demagnetize faster. Thats always been my concern switching into hub motors. Now I am even more in doubt into replacing my belt drive into hub. I will just do it I guess :smiley:

I have major hills so hubs arent a option for me :confused:

Why would vibration demagnetize the rotor? The only thing that Will do that is heat.

Refer to the properties of Magnets, magnetism is the affect of aligning metal magnetic dipoles within atomic structures. Hence anything that might / destroy their molecular structures would eventually demagnetized magnets. This involve hammering, vibrations and heat. All of these aspects would literally have an impact of altering the magnetical properties of a metal. Heating it’s self is an act of vibrating molecules which is as equal to vibration the molecules it’s self physically.

Trust me you can Google this :smile:

2 Likes

rekt them with magic

You guys sure know your Google…ride more read less.

4 Likes

from what im reading that use to be a problem but if the magnets where made in in the last 5 years it wont be.

1 Like

Google too good, can’t be helped. You’re right. Ride more less read!

It’s good to know about this, makes me confident buying Hub motor from carvonskates :smiley:

anything happened with this build? really amazing work with the selfmade hubs :slight_smile:

Lol my same thought. Was looking at this build again yesterday.

Ha…6 months later and nothing to show for it.

Sold the space cell and was waiting for a custom battery deck to be made for me from chaka but plans fell through, the good man is incredibly busy with a growing business and he was hoping to build it for me, but time gets the best of everyone sometimes.

Was hoping for Jacobs 107mm thane to be done for his hubs as well but he does not want to send them until everything is up to spec, which is completely understandable.

So am currently deciding what to do now.

Am thinking I will likely have someone make me a custom battery pack for the empty space in the deck and at least get my custom hubs going until Jacobs are ready rock. Have 4 of them just waiting for some juice!

The reason why I ultimately decided not to use my hubs was because of the weight of them, and the likely possibility of them getting hot from the thermally conductive epoxy…and I craved awd…and dont have access to cncs any longer.

Anyone in Canada wanna build me a custom battery pack?

I am sure you and I will get to collaborate on a build someday, timing is just a little off for now. It will just be that much better when it does happen. :wink:

2 Likes