The Heavyweight | Custom Deck | Roja Hybrid Trucks | SK3 6374 149kv | Custom Hub Motors | 10S3P | VESC

low if you have hills in your area and were using an enertion SPACE cell, would double hub motors be enough? or would external motors be better.

I heard with the enertion and high current means the hub motors won’t get too hot going up hill especially with 2 of them.

Basically which one would get me up hills, have longer range and top speed.

well think of riding a bike up a hill. if you drop in to a lower gear its easier to go up the hill. however if you stay in high gear you can still ride up the hill but you gotta push harder.

hub motors are always at 1:1 gear ratio so they are working harder to go up a hill than the same spec motor geared down to say 2.5:1

gearing down always gives more torque.

You could also increase the diameter of the hub motor to get more torque. I am waiting for a decent hub motor for a MTB in wheel application as they have large diameter wheels and would make sense to use them there.

As you make the hub motor bigger, you make the wheel necessarily bigger as well, so that works out about even for torque, except you have even more rotating mass which is generally a negative.

Soooo, decided to do all wheel drive and thanks to @chaka got a sweet piece of hardware ready to make it all work together. Now just waiting on some hubmotors from @jacobbloy and I’ll be ready to set this thing up

8 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Switchable Dual or Single drive boards

BEAST MODE… this is very cool.

4 Likes

@Wanderer your board trailer set up is really cool. How are you using that?

This is freaking sweet!

looking forward to seeing more updates :smile:

Just be careful with the battery current setting in the VESC, the max battery current for each VESC needs to be at about 10, at least to start with. Maybe creep this up until you start blowing fuses.

read over this thread again:

@Wanderer if you got all wheel drive, why not as well build a larger wheel hub motor? You have serious power for mountainboard terrain! You have both traction and the power to do it :smiley:

Someone has done it

Don’t work at the machine shop any longer so do not have a cnc at my disposal, so building my own pneumatic hub is out of the question now. Will have to wait for someone else to do it. Always thought it would make sense to have the motor can of the hubmotor have a bead for rubber tires rather than trying to figure out good ways to mount urethane, with the added plus of having a cushion of air to keep some road vibration from wearing away the motors. Nice thing about urethane though, is it lasts much longer and has less rolling resistance.

2 Likes

I see. I agree that the major drawback of a hub motor and urethane is the vibration would make the motor demagnetize faster. Thats always been my concern switching into hub motors. Now I am even more in doubt into replacing my belt drive into hub. I will just do it I guess :smiley:

I have major hills so hubs arent a option for me :confused:

Why would vibration demagnetize the rotor? The only thing that Will do that is heat.

Refer to the properties of Magnets, magnetism is the affect of aligning metal magnetic dipoles within atomic structures. Hence anything that might / destroy their molecular structures would eventually demagnetized magnets. This involve hammering, vibrations and heat. All of these aspects would literally have an impact of altering the magnetical properties of a metal. Heating it’s self is an act of vibrating molecules which is as equal to vibration the molecules it’s self physically.

Trust me you can Google this :smile:

2 Likes

rekt them with magic

You guys sure know your Google…ride more read less.

4 Likes

from what im reading that use to be a problem but if the magnets where made in in the last 5 years it wont be.

1 Like

Google too good, can’t be helped. You’re right. Ride more less read!

It’s good to know about this, makes me confident buying Hub motor from carvonskates :smiley: