Surf's Up | Loaded Dervish Sama Circles | Custom Sensored Dual Hub Motor SK3 6374 | 6S Lipo | Xerun 150A ESC | 90 mm Flywheel Clones

Some pictures of the first steps:

15 Likes

nice motors. you are probably going to want to upgrade those bearings to some skate bearings though, those little bearings wont handle the pavement too long.

also I’m not sure why people are so surprised that you can turn an SK3 into a hub motor, Carvon has been doing it for years now…

2 Likes

Yes, I think turning the SK3 into hub was originally invented by Stielz

1 Like

@lowGuido didn’t know Carvon used SK3 motors.

I tried finding a thread on making your own hub motors but couldn’t find one. Is there one?

there’s a few on ES. I think @peter is the first to do it on esk8.

@wanderer

Ah yeah you know what. After i posted i remembered wanderers build And was hoping no one would pick up on it :joy:

WOW, Good Job On the hub motors they look sooooo good.

1 Like

Lol…someday I may even get some power going to those things. Have 4 of @jacobbloy hubmotors and a custom made quad vesc as well just sitting around and waiting to be tested out.

Hey @chaka working on my battery deck yet :smiley:

Someday I will do more than just lurk this website and be envious of everyone who actually rides an electric longboard

1 Like

HOLY MOLY

1 Like

I used an iron saw to remove part of the hanger (piece by piece).

5 Likes

That’s a lot of hanger removed. Why so much? Edit. Disregard. I see you needed that much to fit the motors. Just looked like a lot thats all.

Did the bearing that the fan sits on just happen to be the same size as the Paris round? Or did you just hit it with the lathe

The bearing that the fan sits on is big:

Inside is another bearing which is smaller:

To fit over the axle, which is knurled, I had to grind the axle a bit with a file

2 Likes

When I first started making my first board, I first considered making my own hub motors like this but out of a tacon 160. I stop myself from doing it though cause I though I would need bigger and more durable bearings and also questioned myself on how I would attach the outside of the motor to the urethane of my wheels. I concluded that I would need to make a new motor encasing which I would need a cnc machine. I though it would be too expensive and not worth the effort so I didnt do it. Did you get bigger bearings? and How did you attach the outside of the motor to the wheel?

Also here is the link to Stielz post where he made his hubs https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=68181 scroll down.

1 Like

I used the original bearings. I think the big bearing should be no problem, however it may better to use some bigger bearings for the outside bearings. E.g. 688 bearings.

The urethane is tight fitted around the can. I still need to add some glue . So far the wheels don’t move much but one of them moves a bit when it gets warm. I think I will add the glue on one side, so that I can replace the wheel when it is worn out.

Initially I wanted to use only one motor, so I rewired the motor from delta to wye for more torque per amp.

8 Likes

Huh Let us know how the bearing hold up after you ride it for a while. I may make my own hub if you get good results :smile:

1 Like

I actually removed the bearing tube. The small bearings inside the stator are only used to center the stator. I used JB weld to glue the stator to the axle and aluminum.

Indeed, removing the stator is not possible. I hope they last :slight_smile:

Thx for the tip

2 Likes