Strange knocking on pavements when driving

It’s the wheels, all skateboard wheels will make that noise on that pavement type. Only fix is pneumatic wheels like a trampa or @psychotiller 6" wheels

It’s just the sound of your wheels going over cracks. Nothing short of pneumatics will fix that

Ok. Thank you for your help :slight_smile: I will think about pneumatic wheels so. Generally in Cracow (Poland -_-) there is not so much roads for bicycles so sidewalks are the only options for quite comfortable riding. I would save so much money if I ask earlier :sob:

Are you not allowed to ride on the streets? I ride streets almost exclusively.

I can’t ride streets either. Only pavement. I use pneumatic wheels.

According to the law, I am typical pedestrian. Oficially I can’t even use roads for cyclists -_-.

@rojitor, where did you buy wheels? I have searched ebay and aliexpress and didn’t find anything appropriate. There are 9" for about 50 dollars but these are too big - 5-6" for 50-70 dollars (set of 4) would be acceptable. Don’t want to spend too much for it again :confused:

I have 2nd hand skikes. Mbs and evolve. They are NOT cheap. I guess we have the same regulations about skateboard. I am afraid you will have to buy 2nd hand or scratch your pockets.

I checked MBS Wheels a moment ago. I haven’t seen them before. Looks good, price is acceptable (as least in USA - haven’t checked for now how it looks at Europe). But I saw that they are made of urethane, so propably it won’t help me too much. I will keep looking for 5-6" pneumatic wheels. Maybe I will be lucky and find them for good price :]

I wonder how sharkwheels sound on sidewalks Btw check these out https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/6-150-50mm-70a-airless-inflation-free-solid-tire-anti-puncture-all-terrain-off-road-electric-longboard-skateboard-wheels/32666/

Thanks for the link. They looks awsome and price is awesome too ;). Propably I will consider them if I don’t find cheaper.

This will solve your “problem”… :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah. Sure it would :smiley:

Those wheels have my attention but still no hubs.

The noise will still occure.

2 Likes

Would a 97mm+ softer UT wheel be a bit smoother/quieter? Like a 107 Superfly

I would advise for you to look into 3d printed hub thread and then search for suitable tires for these hubs…

Otherwise your only closest option would be to buy seperate mountainboard trucks (might require angle + risers)… + the wheels too… This is because bearing distance and axle size differ.

Longboard wheels I believe are 8mm… mountainboard wheels are either 10mm (9.5mm) or 12mm

So yeh… not sure how easy it is for you to rebuild now… I started with mountainboard from ground up by buying a used one and then implementing useful parts.

2 Likes

That was the joke…

They are .405" +/- .003". 8mm spacers are too small

Bigger softer wheels will help but not completely alleviate the noise.

Pneumatic wheels are wildly more inefficient if you are just riding on sidewalks

@swagimir It’s a skateboard, dude. Don’t mean to sound rude, but this is how skateboards sound when going over cracks. Try riding some 50mm 100A wheels for awhile and then you will see how much better your Kegels are…

Your board is done. Ride it. Enjoy it.

1 Like

could be fun too if you’re skilled enough and the board is light

You are right. I should stop finding out new problems :wink: I road on street and it is really awesome. Just have to make Nunchuck to control speed (now I’m using car transmitter) and check my VESC because it resets after 20-30 minutes of riding (maybe it overheats - there is no colling system and I use 10000mAh 6S battery pack so 60A current maybe is too high for my one).

Thank you all for help. At least I know that it should work like that :wink:

yeh, ‘brick’ layed sidewalks will be your worst nightmare… not to mention occacional other gaps (like the ones bridges have) etc… and high curbs/sidewalks, where it is impossible to get up to unless you lift the whole board up somehow… that is just the real life situation of such ‘vehicle’ in city terrain not adjusted / made for such small vehicles / transportation

So i wish u to find plenty of road space / best roads u can to enjoy riding it… otherwise just go ride in the dark or after busy traffic is gone to truly enjoy it (with good lights of course, if you do it in the dark :wink: )

I can say from experience there is still terrain types / roads where even with mountainboard tires it is not the most comfortable… one such example could be cobblestone streets (small or large rock)… but these are just bad with all vehicles I think