START HERE | FAQ for DIY Electric Skateboard builders

U can try to install some sort of “flap” like some scooters has. Ive seen some other commercisl designs but all of these will probably be too expensive. If u got someone with tools / skills it might be possible to come up with something otherwise it might be tough to make something like that on your own… otherwise if u go the car esc route, then brakes might be too sudden or sharp most of the time i think.

If my motors max current is 65 Amps does that mean I only need a 65amp esc? what battery would I need for the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-190KV Brushless Outrunner Motor (link:https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-6364-190kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html ) I would like around 5000mah-6000mah? last question how do you properly charge lipo batteries.

I’m new here, but I’m trying to decide between single and dual motor setup. What kind of kv rating did your motors have? Additionally, how is the range? Thanks

Wouldn’t it make sense to add the fact new users have to wait 30 minutes before they can post, to the “Start here / FAQ’s” details?

This might help mitigate berating patronizing replies from users that say “it’s something that’s been asked a million times do some research”.

1 Like

You don’t have to read for 30 minutes to use the search function…

Those 30 minutes are so that new users don’t come on here without doing any sort of searching and ask something like: “hi, I’m new, what is vesc?”.

4 Likes

Hi,

I’m totally new to electric skateboard.

I want to build a electric skateboard, and I got a longboard to base for that. I want to use 18650 batteries and have about 45 km/t top speed.

What kind of motor do I need to use? How much voltage is needed? How many teeth do I need for each gear?

In fact, if someone could make a list of parts to make a build possible would help me a lot!

Could anyone help me out here? :slight_smile:

Look at the builds category, you will find a list of parts for most of the builds.

is this a good motor at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZXDHMD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_18?smid=A1MS69GS89PAD6&psc=1 or can you recrmend a better one for a mountain board

what is the best battery chemistry

what is an advanced motor controller :confused:

You need to do some elementary reading on this forum first. I am a noob as well and have learned alot by reading first and then asking detailed questions

1 Like

Hey guys I’m looking to starting my first board and really looking for some help I want to use the FocBox and have spoken to enertion and they recommended a 190kv motor and said that is what they use on the raptor 2 so I’m looking at this motor https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-6364-190kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html with the shaft that has a key slot in it to lock on the motor pulley Now I know this is not a sensored motor but from what I have heard the sensored motors are a little trickier to configure. Since the FocBox and motor both use 10s I was wondering if this battery would be good for it https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-graphene-4000mah-5s1p-65c.html. I would have 2 connected to it in series making it a 10s2p. It would still be 65C now would the 4000mah go to 8000 or would it stay at 4000mah. In order to charge these together I believe I would need a bms. Now my goal would be to be able to go 20-25 mph and 12-15 miles.

1 Like

Hands down, the best anti spark switches you can buy are @goldenHusky’s from antisparkheaven.com

I had heard all the stories about solid state switches blowing before, but I decided to buy one from DIYelectricskateboards and sure enough, it either arrived non-functional or blew as I plugged it in for the first time.

Decided to try one from antisparkheaven and it’s been going strong ever since it arrived.

3 Likes

Thanks @Veovis ! :wink:

Hi! A friend of mine gave me his old Acton Blink Light board and I want to try to mod it. I want to give it some extra range and a bit more speed than its current 8 mph speed and 5 mile range. Im hoping to get it up to around 12mph and possibly closer to a 10 mile range. I know I need to get a better battery and a new hub motor but I do not know which one would work with the Acton Blink Light board so I need to get some opinions! Please help me out, this is my first DIY esk8 project.

Good day All , I have uploaded videos of imax b6 charger unboxing , so if any newbies wanna know what they get in the box also uploaded unboxing of sk3 245kv 6364 motor , and xcar 150a esc and programming card

hopefully it helps someone out here looking for the contents in the box link

1. Does making eSkate require electronics / mechanics knowledge? Yes… yes it does
1 Like

Hi. I have a problem. My problem is batteries. I’ve been on the forum a couple months now, but there’s a basic thing I’m not rly getting. I’ve seen the big thread where they explain, and tried understanding all the diagrams sent. My dream board has a charging port and an on/off switch. I will use lipo batteries. I know how to connect them series/parallel but for the life of me, I do not understand how they connect to the charging port and the on button. I saw some people using bms, but then I saw that most people don’t do that, cause that’s what you do with li-ions, and there’s a different way with lipos. It might be as simple as connecting an imax b6 to a charging cable, welding the battery cables inside the board to a port of some sort, ( in which case I’ll be so pissed at myself for the DAYS of overcomplicating it) but even then, how does the imax connect to the cable? And discharging? Do the lipos do that themselves? And where does the power button come in, as a loop breaker between the batteries and the vesc? One last thing, does a 270 kv motor/6s setup work the same with a vesc, as a 190 kv/10s? Cause someone mentioned to me that 6s isn’t enough voltage, which would draw on amps, but does the motor change that? Thanks in advance

With Lipos, you either use a XT90s loop key or a anti-spark switch to power on/off the board…unless you are using a BMS with an E-Switch. Search for the bold terms and you will find a wealth of information.

1 Like

This is a great thread with all the instructions to setup lipos with a bms