START HERE | FAQ for DIY Electric Skateboard builders

thanks for the help

Hello, have just got into the realm of longboarding and built my own eboard. I have the VESC a 350kv alien motor and flysky gt3 reciever. I tested it for the first time yesterday. It works ok, but i have the following issues:

(In duty cycle mode and bldc mode)

1. when I let off the throttle i get an annoying squealing sound and the wheels lock up or feels like a brake is on

2. when I am on the throttle it is not smooth, it feels like all or nothing, large amount of deadband

3. to get the board going from a standstill it shakes and feels like it is cogging but once it gets going its ok

if you know what settings in the bldc tool would help with these issues please let me know, thanks!

Screen shots help, you might wanna make a new topic for all of your questions.

true true, i will certainly do that, thank you for the tips!

rip i cant create new topic yet because i have not been on for 30 mins

No worries. By screen shots I meant get screen shots of the VESC Tool. Good luck.

1 Like

thank you!

Guys, Iā€™m sure this has been answered elsewhere but I havenā€™t been able to find it. Iā€™ve just finished putting together my first build and having some belt tension issues. Iā€™ve got the motor as close to the trucks as possible (mount is basically scrubbing the motor) but the belt is still way too tight - can barely get it on there. Any suggestions/solutions?

Setup is DIYES 36/16, enertion mount, 265mm belt. Tried a 280mm belt too but there isnt enough adjustment in the mount.

Pics would help when looking g for advice, and prolly start a thread.

Thanks for the reply. Havenā€™t got enough reading time to start a new thread yet. Pics to follow

5 Likes

4 Likes

Hello everyone! I am currently piecing together the parts for my first build, but I donā€™t know if all of them will work together. My main concern is the the motor mount kit with the wheels, but I also have no idea about if the motor will fit either. Any help is much appreciated! Thankyou! Links to all the parts Wheels: http://www.wiredsport.com/landyachtz-zombie-hawgs-longboard-wheels-76mm.html#horizontalTab5 Motor: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-5055-280kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html Motor Mount: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-electric-skateboard-kit-parts-pulleys-and-motor-mount-for-80MM-wheels/322366203703?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D62cb9ced6d854fb595fb0ba48cdee1a8%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D27%26sd%3D112251743812

Thankyou guys!

1 Like

Please create a build thread, this isnā€™t the place to post your build questions

1 Like

will 410kv brushless motor work with the following specs PROP - 15 x 8 ā— Get 3600gms Thrust Lipo - 6 cell 22.2V ESC - 60 amp Power - 3600W please replyā€¦ I am sitting on this for sometime now

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/new-builder-list-of-known-and-commonly-used-parts/2983 You should look at this. Canā€™t really tell you nothing with that information.

1 Like

Thank you for your speedy reply. I did have a look at that. But I am unable to find a motor below 410kv and I live in India. So I wanted to check if a 410kv motor will do the job.

1 Like

get a sk3 from hobbyking or one of our vendors here: Enertion, DIY, esk8.de, unik, Polar, Ollin, ā€¦or from someone else. They all ship international! Do a bit of research here and youĀ“ll find everything you need!

1 Like

The rule of thumb for motor is always 280kv or lower with 1:3 gear ratio at minimum. This is by far the safest point to get started. If you buy cheap motor with higher kv, the chances if its not strong enough is that you will need to buy another one in which it will cost you more money.

6 cells lipo ok. 60 AMP esc abit low, get something more than 100 AMP so that it doesnā€™t get easily over heating.

Low specs for electric longboard works, but it wil get burned down / broken very fast. These motors and electronics are meant to run 3kg object and not 60kg++ So keep in mind, more torque + better electronics = longer life + pleasure experience.

2 Likes

Hi there community! Iā€™m new to the forum and to the esk8 world. IĀ“ve been skateboarding since i was 7 and just recently discovered Esk8Ā“s! IĀ“m planning on gathering knoweldge and building my own electric cruiser. Looking forward in participating and creating great stuff! Congrats on the great forum! Cheers!

4 Likes

410kv is fine you just have to add more mechanical gearing or lower the voltage (in which case youā€™ll need an esc that can do more amps to get the same power). you can actually get more torque from a high kv motor that is geared down than a low kv that doesnā€™t have the same high gear ratio. the speed of the high kv is converted to torque