START HERE | FAQ for DIY Electric Skateboard builders

Hi I am Peter, a newbie when it comes to esk8. Hope to be able to learn a lot from the pros here!

3 Likes

same, how to make a new topic?

You donā€™t want 200kv motors. The stock Evolve ones are 150kv and the 140kv ones work as well. The 200kv ones will work but as well.

Hi, I was wondering if someone could critique my build:

Trucks : Caliber Trucks Cal II 50Ā° RKP Longboard Trucks Wheels: 83 mm Longboard Cruiser Wheels Flywheels Pulley & belt : Pulleys And Motor Mount DIY Parts Kit For 83/90/97MM Wheels spacers, bearings, bolts : Skateboard 1/8 Ruber Riser Pads + ABEC 7 Bearings + Spacers + 1.25 Hardware motor mount: DIYE Premium Electric Skateboard Motor Mount Controller: XCSOURCE 2.4GHz Radio Transmitter Remote Controller + 4 Channel Splash Proof Receiver + Binding Plug for Electric Skateboard OS917 Battery 6s2p : 2x ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 20C Motor : Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-190KV Brushless Outrunner Motor ESC : TORQUE ESC BLDC ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROLLER

Hey guys i was planning on building one. I wanted to know in the esc i am buying should it have a BEC or not?

that depends on if you need a bec or not :wink: Usually you need power to power up your receiver. Most Car ESCs and the Vesc have these build in.

Man your board is beautiful. Whatā€™s up with lights in. The back where can I get them.

Hi, It is similliar setup as mine. Trucks : Caliber Trucks Cal II 50Ā° RKP Longboard Trucks Wheels: 97mm clone Flywheels Pulley & belt : China motor mount: Hobbyking https://hobbyking.com/en_us/motor-mount-5.html Controller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-Receiver-Binding-Plug-Radio-Remote-Controller-For-Electric-Skateboard-NEW/253564707591?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 Battery 6s4p : 4x Turnigy 5000mAh 3S1P 30C Motor : Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-190KV Brushless Outrunner Motor ESC : Hobbywing Quickrun 150a

Working great.

Hello, Iā€™ve been thinking of buying DIY electric skateboard sets from AliBaba. The product page isnā€™t much help for me as the specifications of the motors are in watts instead of the usual kV rating. Can somebody help me calculate the actual mile and range of the board or at least translate the wattage to kV ratings. It would be very very appreciated :slight_smile: Microworks%20Catalog

Why donā€™t people use wired remotes? Canā€™t run out of charge. Iā€™ve thought about some sort of magnet connector in the middle of the board to plug into. Itā€™s not like youā€™re moving your feet around to get wrapped in the cable

1 Like

you could probably accidentally pull the cable out and then RIP

1 Like

Fair enough. A winning remote similar fate :joy:

1 Like

Hey guys, Im building a board with 6355 outruner motors,

I have a problem with wheel pulleys and motor pulleys, As i am a neewbie i dont really know what size they should be?

So i currently need some help to decide on sizes and teeth on the pulleys?

i want : 15mm belts, i have 97mm abec wheels, I want to go 55km/h atleast, from what i know 36t and 16t is most common?

Specc : 12s5p battery, 2x 6355 motors,

appreciate all help!

@Simonwantstobuildabo play With this http://esk8.today/2017/01/03/how-fast/

Hello ppl,

I am in proces of ordering parts to convert my BGTX to dual 6374 board.

Since I would like to keep evolve supercarve trucks I will be ordering UNIK motor mounts for 63mm motors.

One thing thatā€™s bothering me is that if 2 of the 6374 motors will fit wide wise. I know there are differences in length depending on manufacturer but since I am located in Europe I was looking in street wings motor but I am unable to find exact dimensions of the motor can.

Is there any other Europe based company that makes 6374 motors of around 190KV if street wings canā€™t fit.

Thanks

this does work well with the Maytech vesc?

Hey guys,

First time builder here, and i have an obscure task ahead of me. I am a film maker and looking to create a documentary to raise awareness for Cystic Fibrosis by taking a DIY board across Europe to various rock climbing. This will also be a tool to show other CF patients that you dont have to live life in a bubble. My brother has CF, and the goal would be to take him and 3 others along with me on this trip. So I would be building 4 different decks to make this happen. Heres the goal of each deck:

Boards:

• Portable
  • Removable Battery
  • Top speed of 20+
  • 30+ mile range (50 miles would be ideal)
  • Fast Charging
  • Charging while braking w/ switch to turn off brake charging ( if possible )

Here are the main stops of the route if youre curios. All routes are possible on bikes so I figured itā€™ll be just as possible on an esk8. There are some stops that we would take trains or flights just to make it possible. Obviously the 100+ miles would be split in multiple days across a couple smaller cities for charging and rest.

Route:

1. Tralee 187 Miles
  2. Dublin 114.332 Miles
  3. Belfast $55/ person one way no stop Aer Lingus
  4. London 75.3 Miles
  5. Canterbury 16.9 Miles
  6. Dover $56/ Person one way no stop British Airways
  7. Paris $66/ Person 1st class
  8. Geneva, Switzerland 39.58134 miles
  9. Frankfurt, Germany $66/ person one way 1 stop $66

This list maybe added to as well. I am looking at making this happen May 2019.

I need help figuring out what parts to go with, and looking at reaching out to sponsors. Any help would be amazing!

Thank you, Parker

2 Likes

I am going to buy the dual hub motor koowheel electric skateboard from someone I know and I have an extra dual belt drive truck from a diy project I never finished and I was wondering if it would work if I replaced the hub motors with the belt ones but use the same esc. Would it damage the board or even work at all and how so?

1 Like

Hey !

I made a lot of searches about how do you guys center your wheel pulleys but i just donā€™t found anything, So how do you do ??

Iā€™m fighting with mine but I canā€™t do it properly, itā€™s only like 2 or 3 mm but itā€™s bending my motor mount and I donā€™t wanā€™t it to broke, like it can bend my motor axis too ā€¦

Is there someone who is selling some wheels with the pulley directly attached to it so it would be perfectly centered ?

Thankā€™s !

1 Like

Commenting so I can make a thread

1 Like