START HERE | FAQ for DIY Electric Skateboard builders

Thanks for the reply. Haven’t got enough reading time to start a new thread yet. Pics to follow

5 Likes

4 Likes

Hello everyone! I am currently piecing together the parts for my first build, but I don’t know if all of them will work together. My main concern is the the motor mount kit with the wheels, but I also have no idea about if the motor will fit either. Any help is much appreciated! Thankyou! Links to all the parts Wheels: http://www.wiredsport.com/landyachtz-zombie-hawgs-longboard-wheels-76mm.html#horizontalTab5 Motor: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-5055-280kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html Motor Mount: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-electric-skateboard-kit-parts-pulleys-and-motor-mount-for-80MM-wheels/322366203703?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D62cb9ced6d854fb595fb0ba48cdee1a8%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D27%26sd%3D112251743812

Thankyou guys!

1 Like

Please create a build thread, this isn’t the place to post your build questions

1 Like

will 410kv brushless motor work with the following specs PROP - 15 x 8 ● Get 3600gms Thrust Lipo - 6 cell 22.2V ESC - 60 amp Power - 3600W please reply… I am sitting on this for sometime now

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/new-builder-list-of-known-and-commonly-used-parts/2983 You should look at this. Can’t really tell you nothing with that information.

1 Like

Thank you for your speedy reply. I did have a look at that. But I am unable to find a motor below 410kv and I live in India. So I wanted to check if a 410kv motor will do the job.

1 Like

get a sk3 from hobbyking or one of our vendors here: Enertion, DIY, esk8.de, unik, Polar, Ollin, …or from someone else. They all ship international! Do a bit of research here and you´ll find everything you need!

1 Like

The rule of thumb for motor is always 280kv or lower with 1:3 gear ratio at minimum. This is by far the safest point to get started. If you buy cheap motor with higher kv, the chances if its not strong enough is that you will need to buy another one in which it will cost you more money.

6 cells lipo ok. 60 AMP esc abit low, get something more than 100 AMP so that it doesn’t get easily over heating.

Low specs for electric longboard works, but it wil get burned down / broken very fast. These motors and electronics are meant to run 3kg object and not 60kg++ So keep in mind, more torque + better electronics = longer life + pleasure experience.

2 Likes

Hi there community! I’m new to the forum and to the esk8 world. I´ve been skateboarding since i was 7 and just recently discovered Esk8´s! I´m planning on gathering knoweldge and building my own electric cruiser. Looking forward in participating and creating great stuff! Congrats on the great forum! Cheers!

4 Likes

410kv is fine you just have to add more mechanical gearing or lower the voltage (in which case you’ll need an esc that can do more amps to get the same power). you can actually get more torque from a high kv motor that is geared down than a low kv that doesn’t have the same high gear ratio. the speed of the high kv is converted to torque

Hello Guys

I have a question about the VESC:

is it possible to run the motor without the VESC and if yes, then how

thank You for Your answers

A brushless motor like we use needs a driver, so you can´t simply take a battery and put a motor on. So yes, an ESC is needed.

1 Like

ok thank you

i ask because a friend of mine has a brushless motor conected to the receiver and instead of a VESC he conected a Servo so is it possible to controll the servo trough a remote so i dont need a VESC ?

I recently brought VESC-X and Space battery pro from enertion and I was wondering I need to get a regulated power supply in order to configure the VESC-X for the first time. In the VESC guide, it was highly recommended to do so, but as I recall Chaka thinks that you only need to do this when powering up for the first time. I believe onloop said all the VESC-X have been tested before shipping. So does this mean I can use the space battery to power up the VESC-X for configuration without bricking it?

Also on the VESC-X it says “V1.3”. Is this the firmware version or just the version number of the VESC-X? If so where can I find the firmware version of the VESCX I have?

2 Likes

Hi please don’t hate me, I am new to electric skateboards, sorry if this is a stupid question. Is the bamboo evolve gt compatible with the 10s3p battery from torque boards? would I be able to just plug it in and go, or would this not work? Here is a link to the battery I was looking at. diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/electric-skateboard-battery-epower-pack-10s3p/

1 Like

hello may I cooperate with you?

1 Like

Hey guys, im in the UK im 14 and i have built my own electric skateboard but its not great i used to be able to go 20mph but now i can only go 16.4. Anyone can help? Maybe i stored my batteries at a two high voltage or i lost one magnet in my motor? Im going to change to chain drive in the coming days and I’m planning on using a bms but i don’t want to mess up my batteries.Im using 2 5000mah 25c lips with car esc and turnigy motor. thanks

Hey guys! Been lurking around here for a while deciding on how I would go about either building or buying an electric skateboard. I’m 22 and live in the great state of Texas. Anyways I’ve been riding my electric skateboard that I bought online for around 300 bucks for quite a while but I was sorta looking for an upgrade in speed and power. The skateboard is a blitzart single hub motor long board and it surprisingly rides really well for a cheaper electric skateboard. My question at the end of the day would be if I bought another hub motor would I be able to add it somehow to my already complete electric skateboard or would it be best to start over new entirely ? I have no idea if it’s taboo here to talk about a complete electric skateboard opposed to making one from scratch. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Welcome on board! Lot of people come here from a complete and want to tune it a bit or add things like batteries, motors or stuff. Some of them are ok with the updates, but a lot of them spending more money, than what starting a new build would have costed. So keeping your complete as it is for a friend would be good and start a new build for you

2 Likes