START HERE | FAQ for DIY Electric Skateboard builders

Hi! A friend of mine gave me his old Acton Blink Light board and I want to try to mod it. I want to give it some extra range and a bit more speed than its current 8 mph speed and 5 mile range. Im hoping to get it up to around 12mph and possibly closer to a 10 mile range. I know I need to get a better battery and a new hub motor but I do not know which one would work with the Acton Blink Light board so I need to get some opinions! Please help me out, this is my first DIY esk8 project.

Good day All , I have uploaded videos of imax b6 charger unboxing , so if any newbies wanna know what they get in the box also uploaded unboxing of sk3 245kv 6364 motor , and xcar 150a esc and programming card

hopefully it helps someone out here looking for the contents in the box link

1. Does making eSkate require electronics / mechanics knowledge? Yes… yes it does
1 Like

Hi. I have a problem. My problem is batteries. I’ve been on the forum a couple months now, but there’s a basic thing I’m not rly getting. I’ve seen the big thread where they explain, and tried understanding all the diagrams sent. My dream board has a charging port and an on/off switch. I will use lipo batteries. I know how to connect them series/parallel but for the life of me, I do not understand how they connect to the charging port and the on button. I saw some people using bms, but then I saw that most people don’t do that, cause that’s what you do with li-ions, and there’s a different way with lipos. It might be as simple as connecting an imax b6 to a charging cable, welding the battery cables inside the board to a port of some sort, ( in which case I’ll be so pissed at myself for the DAYS of overcomplicating it) but even then, how does the imax connect to the cable? And discharging? Do the lipos do that themselves? And where does the power button come in, as a loop breaker between the batteries and the vesc? One last thing, does a 270 kv motor/6s setup work the same with a vesc, as a 190 kv/10s? Cause someone mentioned to me that 6s isn’t enough voltage, which would draw on amps, but does the motor change that? Thanks in advance

With Lipos, you either use a XT90s loop key or a anti-spark switch to power on/off the board…unless you are using a BMS with an E-Switch. Search for the bold terms and you will find a wealth of information.

1 Like

This is a great thread with all the instructions to setup lipos with a bms

Quick question, does diyelectricskateboard sell the dual mechanical kit without the trucks and wheels? Also how is this battery? Some people talked about it somewhere, but they said that no one rly tried it yet, can anyone vouch for it?https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=60711612161&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D60711612161%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

Was wondering if you could connect a charge port/power button considering that the bms is inside the shrink. Thanks!

Hi I’m building my first electric skateboard and I have the Torqueboards 12s esc and I don’t know how to hook it up to my receiver, if anyone knows please reply to this.

It has too many wires coming out of it and I don’t know which one the receiver connects to.

why don’t you ask @torqueboards directly? not sure how many people have experience with that esc, most everyone uses vesc and its variants

1 Like

post a picture of the connector please.

@thisguyhere I bet it’s just a standard 3 pin servi connector lol :rofl:

1 Like

I think that is okay.

@esk882 Contact me if you need help. help@

We have an idea of connecting the electric skateboard with the drone, so when you skateboard, the drone can follow you and capture the skateboarding pictures and videos. Is anyone interested in this?:man_juggling:

1 Like

This is what a dji and others are able too no? Just start the drone, choose follow me mode and start skating. Drone will follow

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. You must be a master. Cool!:+1:

Of course i am :face_with_monocle:

LOL! 10char

1 Like

Hey guys I have a question about loctite:

I want to secure the bolts on my motormount and everything with loctite. Loctite 234 is pretty expensive and I have found loctite in my garage.

It is loctite 570. Do you recommend using it, it has a soft strength (234 has medium). I think this will work because the threads are filled with the loctite so the bolt won’t vibrate (the vibration is causing the loosening of the bolt right?)

I use medium loctite (different numbers so far) for all screws and bolts and it´s good as it is - holds everything in place but you´re also able to loosen everything with ease.

I used a soft strength loctite once from UHU, but it sucked… after a few km some of the bolts came loose… switched to the medium loctite and everything was fine since then.

So in my opinion loctite is totaly worth it. Sure it´s not the cheapest stuff, but even a small bottle will last really long :wink:

1 Like