Space Cell opened up

mine got a few scratches and holes . few more bumps and i’ll have to tear down mine

Daaaannngggg son. Might wanna get a cover for that bad boy lol

Sniff sniff sniff! someone say they need a cover?

5 Likes

Hi, I’m going for my first build on a penny board. The idea is to have an e-board small enough to casually bring on trains and buses. I bought a SPACE cell v2 without realizing it’s too big to fit on a penny board, and I’m thinking of opening it up and removing some batteries to make it smaller by sacrificing some power. Any advice? I’ll try to get some professional help at makerspaces/prototyping labs, but we all know the most professional help is on here :smile:

please start a new thread for your build. This thread is about the space cell and all of its glorious innards.

Thanks!

nunchuck accidental squeeze , and its went blindly BALLASTIC . got ran over by several cars . just sent it to a3rd year engrg student whom promises to patch it back while studying the components . after examining , he concluded that only lcd display needed changing . all other components are intact . except a few wires needed soldering and some spot welding . will be carving in a few weeks . anyone in singapore can call me direct if need repairs . we now have an official li~ion doctor : ) mohamed here +6590511190

1 Like

glad you got it up and running again!

At least it was the board getting run over by cars and not you :wink:

previously it was totalled .

my battery~doctor friend helped me patched up my space cell ; )

replaced the broken lcd for a new same size lcd display WITH 2 FUNCTIONS !! amazing ! there’s a tiny button when pressed , will tell the percentage , pressed again will tell the voltage . and he wrap shrink it all . this is a good service .

i still need to straighten the bent trucks (as seen in previous pics) . car ran over it and trucks is warped . but everything else is in working condition .

Wow! It’s amazing that it still works!.. if a lipo got run over by a car you need to dispose of it ASAP as it would be an iminent fire risk. SPACE cell just needs some new parts and it’s good to go again :smiley: ! This is likely due to the ABS cell holders that would have prevented the cells from being damaged.

i have a waterlogged space cell on my bench right now that needs a new BMS and “fuel gauge” display. This gives me hope that i can restore it. I have a replacement coming but i’d still like to get the old one working again. The cells seem fine, but the BMS needs to be replaced or maybe just cleaned up, i’ll have to play with it more. The display though is missing segments.

@longhairedboy I went for a simple run to the store and got caught in the rain last week. I got super paranoid, came home, took everything apart, wiped down and put a blow dryer to it. I can probably do a better job with weatherstripping the sides but the rain took me by surprise. Luckily it wasn’t too bad. Was it a significant amount of water that got into the Space Cell? I’m assuming any amount of water is too much.

Iso alcohol is your friend when dealing with water on components. It does a great job of displacing the water and evaporating. Often times water will leave conductive residue and the alcohol helps to prevent that.

2 Likes

Yeah the wheels threw enough water at the tiny micro-crevice between the box and the gasket to get in there and start being absorbed by the space cell’s papery packing material as well as the foam. I understand what went wrong and i’m pretty sure i can prevent this from ever happening again.

Luckily the way i laid things out nothing else got damaged, both VESCs are ok and the only issues are with the space cell’s components. The 18650s are fine, but the BMS is acting funny and the voltage display is missing segments. The switch is questionable, but i’ve removed it and the pack is still powered on even when the switch circuit is open. At the moment the cells are disconnected from the BMS to prevent anything else from going wrong.

I’m going to tear down the BMS and go at it with some alcohol and a brush, then find a replacement for the fuel guage. I also ordered a replacement space cell, but that won’t be here for another month and it would be nice to have two of them working. I still have a single drive scarlet prototype to build and i’m about out of cash.

What’s interesting is this is almost the same thing that happened to my Yuneec E-GO when I rode it in the rain. No voltage display but it wouldn’t turn off. I opened it up to dry out for a few hours and for some reason it started working again.

ABS cell holder ? that black plastic thing that holds each end of those cell ?

Thought I’d share some pictures of my SPACE cell from a Raptor order… It looks a bit different. Most notable is the BMS difference… It’ll be in the state for a week or two (at least, I’d guess,), so if you want a closer look at anything let me know.

if you can tell me where to get the BMS with the thermostat , i’d be greatfull . just couldnt find any on alibaba . mine is giving me problems now . it just shuts off . and it wont turn on . check switch and its ok . i think my BMS is dead ! middle of december last year , a car ran over my eboard . sent it for re fixing , all are spinning again . and it just turned off in february and i cant find a replacement elsewhere , even from local shop . kinda want to ask my next 18650 supplier(local) for BMS replacement in the near future , or else i wont buy from them .

Unfortunately I’ve tried to also find the BMS, but have had any such luck…

You could just go with any 60amp BMS though: it doesn’t have to be the exact same.

jason , if you’re reading this , and have a spare BMS lying around in your garage somewhere ? pm me , or just reply here . i am beginning to like walking again . if i buy a new BMS . i wont have to walk again . imagine walking 3km just to get to work ?

If you all were interested i know ayaa tech builds some nice pcm I have three on some old spare bubblegum board battery packs. They are quality, and i imagine if i bought 10 or 20 we could good price for the spec ( temp switch, on/off switch, voltage gauge) what specs?

1 Like