Some FOC Questions

You have made some serious mistakes if you broke so many:DDD Focbox is said to be bulletproof with foc. Just like Ollin’s vesc. Esk8.de’s new 1.1 version should be fine also. But i can’t recommend any non-updated 4.12 version like maytech.

agree. FB is really good. not sure why it’s on bad list. and it’s been around longer and improved overtime.

They also offer warranty covering mistakes

No, I didn’t broke them :joy: My flier V4.12’s have broken temp sensor and hall sensor ports (manufacturing fault) My maytech V4.12’s had cold solder joint (but fixed it). But they don’t like FOC so they are useless for me (already 1 sold). My esk8.de V4.12’s perform excellent in FOC mode (I also have 2x controller 1.1. but not tested yet).

All my vescs are working but since I switched to sensored motors (on 2 builds) FOC was my only solution against cogging and I love it! I won’t use BLDC mode anymore with sensored motors.

BTW I managed to short a vesc this week and both were dead. After reupload of FW everything seems fine, motors working again :grin:

esk8.de has 170kv and 200kv 6374 sensored motors with 8mm shaft- alienpowersystems.com has different kv (if in stock :wink:) but with 10mm shaft.

For FOC it’s better not to use high kv motors, but 170kv or 190kv should be alright.

Great stuff! I think I’m gonna get a antispark switch, 1.1 Vesc and a 170 Kv motor from there

Sounds good :grinning:! Which battery you’ll use, how many cells in series?

I’m gonna build a 10S4P out of Samsung 30Q with BMS :slight_smile:

That’s perfect, you gonna have a very nice build!

I might need to find a new wheel pulley tho, the one I had in mind was from https://www.unikboards.com/en/ But the wheel pulley is 32T which is bit too few teeth for 170Kv, either that or I could go for some bigger wheels.

Scratches head…Sensored BLDC doesn’t cog at all brotha! And you have more control over every aspect of throttle and brakes. I love FOC, but it’s only benefit (the one I love) is the silence. That’s it.

Maytech has sensored 6374 190kv motors. I have some that are being installed on a couple of builds right now.

https://psychotiller.com/product/sensored-6374-190kv

Yeah but that’s California, so shipping and toll will be excessively expensive

I’m in Europe

Order straight from maytech… I just put my link so you could see the specs. They’ll have motors to you in 3 days from China.

And for the record, I ship to Europe often and rarely get complaints on fees

Oh, that’s great

1 Like

How much performance is lost when you run FOC?

A fraction of your top speed is lost. Where as in bldc you can run Hybrid so sensors aren’t operating at higher speeds (when you don’t need them)

1 Like

Okay thank you!

I’m probably getting this: http://www.maytech.cn/en/mto6374-190-ha/10340.html

1 Like

I wish that would be true in my case, but with trampa 6364 136kv and maytech 6364 200kv motors (with sensors) and no matter which V4.12’s there is always evil cogging at startup (I made a own thread and was fiddling around for weeks with all possibilities to fix that). The hall sensor implementation is better in FOC and since I use FOC, the startup is butter smooth. I don’t use FOC because of silence (but it’s still nice) , it’s because of startup. In BLDC mode (hybrid or sensor) mode I get angry :joy:

Yeah 1000 words can’t tell… look at this video I did where you see the difference between BLDC and FOC. Especially the difference in startup which is in the beginning of the video (now i have to laugh when I see this but BLDC was annoying). I’m sure there are people which are using BLDC hybrid or sensored without problems, I just tell about my personal experience.

3 Likes

That is a huge difference wow! Why is it that so many people fry their vescs with FOC?

foc switches fet faster than bldc thus more calculation req and possibly more electrical noise introduced. if vesc use cheap components well🤑

1 Like