Some FOC Questions

I’m about to order parts for a build, but i have some questions regarding ‘FOC’

I’m planning to get a ‘FOC-BOX’ vesc from Enertion.

What is FOC, how does it work? What do i need to use it?

The answers you seek

are the questions you ask…or something like that

14 Likes

There are multiple threads here about FOC, pleas try to search forum first. Then once you have some particular questions give us a shout.

Quick search doesn’t hurt

I did try to search the forum but i couldnt find anything actually. Thanks for the link!

My more specific questions is whether i need any special motor with a special sensor os something for it to function?

*Edit: I acutally did read that post.

Get a sensored motor for foc

1 Like

There you go! yes, you should buy a sensored motor if you want the benefits of foc

I have been rolling around on a pair of sensored 190KV motors FOC style for over a year. It is buttery smooth on startup and the braking force is how i like it. Of course that has a lot to do with how i set my VESC’s up. I won’t go back to BLDC ever again, FOC is more than worthwhile you will be very satisified, just make sure you tune your VESC’s to the kind of batteries, gear ratio, motors, etc you have.

What kind of VESCS are you using? I was looking into FOC a little bit but I was nervous about blowing my DIYelectric VESC’s

Cool them and you won’t blow them ! I was talking about VESCs right there

1 Like

Enertions FOCBOX is what i was planning to get. I think the bottom plate is made of aluminum for better cooling?

1 Like

I am using one ollin vesc and one esk8.de vesc. I think you can use diys vesc but just run some tests on the bench while clocking realtime data in the bldc tool after you run your detections. If you see any errors thrown in realtime data while on the bench you know you need to tweak your motor or batt max settings most of the time. There is plenty of good documentation on this site but the best advice I can give you is to always run tests on the bench and always watch realtime data while you’re doing it. This would save a lot of DRVs in general.

2 Likes

What settings should I watch on the real time tests? The amp draw and erpm? Or would you suggest looking around on the forum more?

FOC is appealing to me as I am a college student and use my board mostly on campus. I don’t have a big ability to cool the VESC’s through my case, haven’t had any issues yet, max temp I’ve hit on a 100 degree day is 54.

u don’t need sensor for foc. Foc designed to use hi torque in any speed given including low speed or dead stop. I use without sensor and never experienced Coggins even on dead stop at hill.

Of course sensored will give u precision but this add cost and complexity. and generally sensored motors under performs in total power.

I’m not saying do this don’t but you should see the both pro and con before deciding.

cheers

1 Like

So the questions comes down to whether the extra precision is worth the extra money and the loss in power?

It cost 8 bucks more per motor for sensored. And it’s way better!

3 Likes

It’s worth it.

1 Like

That is that settled. :slight_smile:

1 Like

for me cutting wiring soldering breaking stuff blowing up stuff comes easy but looking at the bltc tool and setting that up stresses me out:confused:…i setup foc i had a axle vesc 10s 192kv 100mm mbs wheels ,it was like floating on air my test track is a park with flats and hills it took the hills like they where flat ground…im 76kg…I forgot my helmet so i took it easy i was hitting 25mph it felt like it would do 30 easy but with no helmet i backed off…went home charged up the batterys went back out and board would turn guess what drv fault…That was 2 weeks ago… Im waiting on a focbox to get here but i would pay some one to log into my pc and setup my focbox in foc mode theres not a start to finish setup on it…I know i missed up the setting thats why it blew… will i set up foc again dont know if i will…

Hey @Aborn, if you are based in europe (what I guess) don’t buy FOCBOX, don’t buy maytech (or rebranded like greenmotion amongst others) and don’t buy all this cheap crap. BTW FOCBOX is not bad but in case of any fault you have to send it to australia (and pay 2x shipping costs which costs more than 50% of the focbox) plus costs for repair (if it’s your fault) and wait for weeks or months.

Be more smart than me. I bought 10 Vescs until now and did waste a lot of money for crap. I have flier V4.12’s (buggy), when I claimed they said no warranty. I have maytech’s (one had cold solder joint), when I claimed I never got reply. BTW maytech don’t run in FOC.

In my opinion the best quality and best customer support in europe has @esk8 You can take a look at www.esk8.de You have three options: 1.) Buy PCB and capacitors and solder cables by yourself (only if you know what you are doing) 130€ 2.) Buy complete V4.12 for 150€ 3.) or get the top model with direct FET’S and many upgraded parts and aluminium housing for 200€ (esk8 controller 1.1)

All controllers are made in germany and the components are top quality. I run them in FOC with 10s without problems.

Beside the fact that they offer warranty on manufacturing faults they offer repair service, this is genius! So if you destroy a V4.12 you can send it to germany and get it repaired for a fair price. If you destroy a focbox, maytech or anything else you can fling it to rubbish (if you don’t know where to repair or you are not an electronic engineer).

I hope this helps with your decision… and if you’ll use FOC get sensored motors :grin:

1 Like

Thank you so much, i’ll get the top model 1.1! That should be best for FOC right? Also do you know where I can find a sensored 6374 190kv motor?

Edit: Esk8.de has them =D