Solved! Braking issue with fully charged battery

Just search in ebay or amazon “heatsinks” and you will find many!

Not sure if you can tell from this. I couldn’t make out the text on the side from my pic. I haven’t seen many of these so, not sure.

1 Like

Yea can’t tell unfortunately :frowning: Just post back when you find out.

Will find out as soon as I get back to NY.

Thanks for help! Always appreciated.

So Enertion support just got back to me and said that my board’s performance is common amongst Carvon V2 users and they can’t find any issues. Their best solution was to upgrade to the Carvon V2.5 or upgrade to the VESC premium if I want to swap my VESC. Basically they’re saying it’s a problem with my setup since the Carvon V2 hub will cause these overheating issues with it’s high KV. Am I missing something here essential for my setup to work? This is my first DIY build so It’s definitely a possibility.

Thanks all for the help!

My list of parts:

Carvon V2 Enertion VESC Enertion SPACE CELL 3 Enertion Steeze Remote

Here’s my wiring diagram.

That doesn’t sound right to me, but i could be wrong.

So, 149kv with 10s is considered high kv? That’s definitely a wrong argument and cannot be the cause of you issue at all.

1 Like

This is response I got. I’m pretty green when it comes to DIY boards since this is my first build, so maybe I’m reading something wrong if most other Carvon V2 users are having the same issue.

"After looking through your forum thread, and these screen shots I can’t see anything out of the ordinary that would point to some fault of the VESC’s- others have had over heating problems with carvon’s hubs (due to the high KV I mentioned before) and solved the issue with heatsinks or fans.

If you want to get the VESC platinum warranty we’d be happy to take a look at it, but in my honest opinion I don’t think another VESC would solve these issues; it seems to run consistently with a couple other carvon users. Hopefully the lower KV v2.5’s will solve the problem."

I have plenty of customers using Carvon hubs with the VESC and it works great! You probably have a faulty BMS. One way to check is by getting eyes on the VESC when the brakes cutout. If the vesc blinks three times then it is probably a DRV fault, if the vesc powers off then the BMS is giving out.

I’ll definitely try that when I get back to NY. Got some testing to do!

@LEVer, my heat sink is only covered on the edges to keep them on. That was an old shot. Now there’s 4 heat sinks (2 on both sides) and the plastic wrap only goes around the very edges to hold it on. 2 caps. I checked the pins and cut them down.

Perhaps there are different types of VESC’s out there with different specs that are optimized for different motors? Enertion’s would obviously be optimized for Enertion motors. Would that make any sense?

@chaka tested it and my VESC blinks 3 times. So DRV fault? Would that possibly mean a bad chip? I also took out and inspected my battery pack and found a loose connection. Soldered it. Solved a couple small intermittent issues, but still getting the fault.

@Jinra and @LEVer Checked my 2 caps. They are 63V.

Installed a much larger heatsink today. I’ll test it and see if it makes any difference in my VESC overheating.

anyway you can replicate the problem on the bench and see if you get a fault code in BLDC?

Fault is Over voltage

Oh right, sorry. Keeping up with too many threads lately.

No apologies needed. Thanks for all the help!

So no impovement with he larger heat sink. If this didn’t help the heat issue, I’m not sure how much difference even a fan would make.

Your VESC shouldn’t be getting that hot that quickly in the first place. Adding more cooling will only be masking the real problem.

Enertion was saying this was pretty normal for their VESC’s when paired with a 149kv motor and that heat sinks and fans usually takes care of the problem.

maybe if you’re riding for a long time and up a bunch of hills, but otherwise not normal.