Solved! Braking issue with fully charged battery

I’m getting the same thing but it then starts randomly doing its own thing. Is this related? It stops after discharging below 90% and runs perfectly thereafter. Help needed.

What’s ur set up? Also take a screenshot of your VESC settings.

How do I get the vesc settings?

Enertion trucks, pro drive+ motor, space cell pro 4 and Enertion Vesc ( recent batch)

Have you done your motor detection on your VESC? Once you’re on your main BLDC tool screen, take a screenshot.

How do I connect? Is there a cable?

Have you read through this thread?

our vesc do have some preinstalled settings for r-spec motors, it saves our customers some stuffing around when they get their kits… also prevents some of the silly mistakes that can occur during the initial bench testing / setup phase…

here are some more things to try…

• Turn down the motor regen current, get it as close to the battery regen current as possible whilst still having some suitable brake force. (maybe -18 to -20)
  • Bypass the BMS for discharge, if the problem still occurs it might be BMS related.
  • Try a new VESC, do you have VESC platinum? if so email [email protected] and we will send a new one.
  • Try some other motors, maybe a belt drive and see if problem remains.

Thanks for the input!

I updated all my VESC settings to match up with my system. Consulted Carvon and Runplayback. I turned down my brake regen and it doesn’t work unless I’m under -10. When my battery gets under 90% charge braking works fine. It’s just when it’s over 90%.

I have a new VESC and another motor on order. Enertion support suggested I try Carvon V2.5 with the lower KV and that should solve my problem. I should have both of them in within the next week or so. Then I can swap parts and narrow down what part is causing my issue.

How do I bypass the BMS of discharge?

Thanks!

Thanks mate. I’ll give it a go.

1 Like

UPDATE: solved the braking issue. Not sure exactly what I did that fixed it, but I re-soldered a loose connection on one of my batteries and I accidentally charged my battery to 100% which caused my board not to respond to my remote. At the advice of @Blasto I messed around with my max voltage settings to get my board to respond again and after I did that, my brakes started working fine.

The only issue left is how to keep my VESC from overheating.

Wasn’t your max input voltage already at 57v?

Yup. I had it at 57v, but I also tried some other settings too. Didn’t make a difference for the braking until this last time. It could have been that or something else. For the past couple weeks I’ve been keeping my board under 90% charge, but I’ve changed a lot of other settings in the meantime to try an resolve my overheating issue.

So I ordered another VESC from DIYelectricskateboards and popped it in last night. Took a ride today and the board performed great! I had full power over all flats and only overheated when going over the bridge. I actually had power for a good part of it and I didn’t even stop to let it cool off first. I couldn’t even go up a 1blk 3% grade without it instantly cutting power and had to wait around 10min before going over the bridge just to get a 1/4 of the way up before I had to start pushing. Before I had to start pushing on flats after around 20min.

Not sure what is different about the Enertion VESC, but this one works infinitely better on the same settings. I think I can tweak it a bit to make it work even better.

1 Like

So, you fixed the issue by setting your Maximum input voltage from the original 57V to what value?

The original value is usually 42v, he changed it to 57v :slight_smile:

1 Like

My original value has always been 57V and I have the same exact problem. Has anyone tried to increase this value more than 57V in order to avoid the cutting off?

Is your issue brakes cutting out or power cutting out?

You really shouldn’t exceeded the 57V level. After that you are exceeding the VESC Threshold and can really just start burning up DRV chips like myself.

The VESC is reseting itself when I’m on 100% charged battery and I brake, regenerative braking puts curebt into the battery but as it’s already fully charged VESC cuts off.

Whenever the battery is 100% charged, your brakes won’t work because of regenerative breaking. It’s basically the motor feeding power back into he battery. If the batt is full, no place for the power to go. Try running your board down to 98% before breaking.