Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

Wow, that’s a great walkthrough! Thanks for putting it together. Now, do I have the guts to try to make this myself?..

1 Like

So when can I order the sender/receiver? Sorry but I‘m very interessted and thrilled :smiley:

I see that there are words such as “Motor pole” and “Motor pulley” in the program. Can this controller be used in belt driven skateboards? If I want to use it on the hub motor, do I need to change these parameters?

Not sure if this ever came up but did you guys ever think about switching to an ESP8266 as brain AND wireless module? I just got a NodeMCU for a work project and man this thing is awesome. Super tiny (much much smaller than a Nano) and even more powerful (80Mhz compared to the Nano’s 16). Plus it is Arduino IDE compatible.

1 Like

I‘m totally with you! Also it‘s cheaper and you can access the ESP8266 with the Remote and your Smartphone. So you could change Settings on your phone and use your remote mainly as … a remote :wink: I have 2 Adafruit Feather with this chipset and I will try it out but I‘m no developer by any means.

Otherwise the ESP32 would be interessting to as it provides BLE and WiFi. Its even faster (if this is important) and it supports mesh capabilities which would enable much more features.

Up there somewhere I suggested ready esp32 based module with built in oled and liion charger but implementation is yet to be done. Shouldn’t be that hard as you can program it using arduino ide but so it may only seem.

1 Like

Yeah, ESP32 can be programmed using Arduino but BLE implementation is pretty bad right now (or ar least last time I checked a few months ago) I wouldn‘t even need a fully Oled remote. Boosted Board styled LEDs for a rough battery astimate would be enough for me. If I could connect my phone for further information and settings, I would already be happy :wink:

I have a port for nrf52 and working on a port to nrf51, both very good and stable modules. I prefer the nrf51 as it uses atmega 32u instead of the nordic shared cpu.

Wifi is pretty stable though. Have you seen metr.at module? Maybe it is all you need for now?

I ordered the (pretty expensive) bluetooth module for the metr app. That‘s what I will use but much more because my receiver doesn‘t really work. So I hope this build and especially @solidgeek s remote and receiverboard will be ready soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is awesome man, great work! I am excited for the announcement!

I did a Bluetooth based receiver and used a phone app for a bit of testing but found the connection or pairing could drop out too easily and didn’t recover quickly like the nrf chips can so I abandoned that entirely. Personally decided to just go with a simple remote and using metr for collecting data on the go or changing “modes”. It works out pretty well and the remote remains a dumb and simple remote only responsible for transmitting control data (and failing safe when necessary). Good thing about the lower clock rate mcu on the Arduino is it’s very light on power consumption and if you don’t have a lot of display or serial processing going on 8MHz is plenty fast to keep a consistent signal going.

From what I gathered with the esp modules there is some more overhead to maintaining the connection and can have other latency issues but I’ve not worked with them myself so can’t really pass on my own judgement.

Also to whoever is having problems with the nrf chips make sure you’re only using 3.3V on the power input, the other SPI pins are 5V tolerant but with too high input voltage (on VDD) they will work for a brief period and burn out. The capacitors right on the power and gnd on the nrf chips have helped me out as well. On board antenna works to about 30-40ft in my experience the external power amplified antennas can go as far as I can see, over a city block.

The lights of my receiver have been flashing, I have the correct connection mode, and the power supply voltage of nRF24L01 is 3.3 volts. I wonder why there is no successful communication. Can you give me some advice?

There are other things I can’t understand. Why do you want throttle less than 512 instead of 1023? According to your understanding, in one cycle, the pulse should not exceed 1.5ms, so can’t we move forward? Since my transmitter and receiver are unable to communicate, I will wait until I have a good communication.捕获

Just gonna casually drop this here… Awesome to see your text guide coming together Solidgeek!

5 Likes

Great guide man, are you going to do a batch run of some of these fireflies?

I will do a run test on nodeMCU. 80mhz seems to be a perfect option for a RX. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t seem to be able to show some parameters such as speed, and the setting on VESC TOOL is PPM and UART, and the receiver is the same as the schematic connection. Who can tell me how to do it? Maybe I am stupid. I can not understand the real usage of the reset button on the receiver, because there is a reset button on the Arduino.

did you set the correct baud rate in vesc tool? it should be 115200 if i remember correctly