Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

in my epxerience its neither the tip, nor the sodler nor flux, its usualy just a cheap ass soldering iron with way to low Watts.

1 Like

I know :slight_smile:

10char

Jamy if you want, as soon I finish mine and it works, I can make one for you. For the old times!

1 Like

Okay im a little unsure about my vesc and the reciever wiring so is this correct?

1 Like

Some updates on my progressā€¦

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2800544 - STLs have been uploaded! https://youtu.be/gQl7mLMAiAs - I also uploaded a quick youtube video showing the functions of the remote

Give me some time to fix the eagle filesā€¦

As for the troubleshooting of the remote hereā€™s what Iā€™ve been trying:

1. I went from a 5x5mm magnet to a 5x8mm magnet, this effectively removed the weird deadzone I was having in my remote
  2. Not all LC filters are the same, I tried another larger LC filter and it didnā€™t work for me, not sure why
  3. I need to check why the remote seems to be self draining its battery, I might have accidentally left it on but I need to double check.
  4. I just updated my dual motor loaded truncated tesseract, it rides awesome with the new remote!
7 Likes

I get 5v and ground from the PPM line, tx and rx from the UART.

Although where you draw 5v shouldnā€™t matterā€¦

Did you just cut the ppm off or did you solder on some extra wires?

Why would I cut the PPM off?

PPM, 5v and ground in one servo wire goes to the receiver.

If you are asking about the connection to the receiver, I have on receiver which has a servo lead soldered to it, another has pins, either way it can be easily disconnected from the VESC PPM wire.

1 Like

Genius! Forgot i had those. And they dont come out?

I connected the reciever to the vesc and powered on the board. But for some reason the vesc didnt turn on. The bec or ppm cables or what they are called got alittle hot. I turned the board off and connected the old remote and it works fine. Any ideas?

Wires got hot??? Likely you connected something wrongly. Share a clear picture of your connection. Hopefully you didnā€™t fry anythingā€¦

If wires are getting hot, something is very wrong!

I dont really have a picture at the moment, will take one later. Im pretty sure i did it like this: image

But im going to double check when i get home.

Are u using the regular arduino nano?

I guess yea?

Hey there! :ghost::smiley: I know there is a RPM counter in the Vesc bldc measure struct but it doesnā€™t seems to be very precise and accurate especially with the magnets pole count. I was thinking maybe we can use the voltage going into the motor and the kv, gear, wheels dia. to calculate the speed. Is this something you guys are aware of? What do you think of my idea. :lying_face:

Sorry for the late pictures, but my main computer decided to stop working so had to fix that. I cant seem to find whats wrong. with the reciever. And couldā€™nt get it out from my little box. But i tried to show the wires and so with these pictures.

2 Likes

Got a feeling you mixed up the connection between the Arduino and vesc because the wires are the same colourā€¦ so your ppm connected to v+

The v+ is red and the ppm is orange ish. But im going to check anyways :slight_smile:

be sure to use some kind of flux, as it draws solder and will give you better looking/functioning solder points

idā€™ try again on nano - D12 nrf - 5v,CSN

also i dont see a CAP present since using arduino nano.