Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

Ah, alright, thank you for your responce. i was considering the maytech kit which uses an external radio and reciever, but even to i guess it’s not worth it. My idea was to start on that type of board with wome good hub motors then eventually upgrade to dual vescs. I was hoping to use this firefly remote throughout this all… Im done building the remote part. Sad. Well if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

nrf52 is BLE and RF, you can even connect nrf52 to nrf24

https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/f/nordic-q-a/13878/any-advice-for-nrf52832-to-nrf24l01-communication

2 Likes

Just FYI enertion is working on new remote :wink: hopefully that’s not old news.

Would anyone know what are they using as a throttle?

1 Like

The only problem would be that the pinout is different, but that’s all.

Cool, but so many good opensource remotes on the forum too

It calls Potentiometer. 10k will work with Arduino Nano controller. It work flowlessly with this code too. I have not get time to do a 3D knob for it yet.

1 Like

Yes it looks like a pot. I used one in my hacked mini remote with this code.

Looks like someone beat you to cruise control @RollingGecko

Seems like none of the protos are supported by u8glib. I tried the M0 and the nrf52, but no luck, i might need to fork your code to make the changes for these platforms.

I thought it was potentiometer - I actually bought a joystick myself - same as Xbox has - but they are very chubby :confused: - this one above looks very slim and sexy haha :slight_smile: If someone had a link to it I would be very grateful!

Found the mystery component, it was not a plain potentiometer, trimmer or an encoder, but sort of specialized potentiometer (you can actually see the Bourns Inc logo on the picture too): image https://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/en/bourns-inc/3382G-1-503G/3382G-1-503GCT-ND/2080240

I looked for it as a detective challenge for myself :grin:

EDIT: It is basically a potentiometer without a shaft, that can freely spin around continuously, although only the angle between 0-330 degrees, will give a resistive output, as the wiper travels around. Between 330-360 degrees it will most likely come to a gap in the resistive surface, which means the output will float in the area.

5 Likes

Amazing find! Thanks, man! Looks like they will have a shaft bent at 90 degrees to have it working as a thumb control or trigger style … Super flat, perfect for slim remote :slight_smile:

If anyone else is looking for cheap 3v3 hall sensors, I bought these. They should be fine.

I did some limited testing though.

1 Like

Guys… I solved the problem of my Rx not booting up and requiring a reset all the time!

Initially I used a 220uF cap like what solidgeek recommended but that didn’t work, and I knew it was a 5V noise issue as it doesn’t happen when I don’t power it via the VESC.

So I put an LC filter on the 5V input (it’s something I had lying around from my miniquad flying days) and voila! Problem solved!!!

Super happy now… everything seems to work like it should!

6 Likes

I am new to github have you guys tried my code yet?

Not yet, did you change any coded or just added on? Have you tried making a pull request?

do a pull request! on the original repo, go to “new pull request” and on the top youll find a link “compare across forks”. ther you should be able to select your fork and create a pull request from that one.

still 3 parts missing. hall sensors, NRF modules and the battery. but so far, its a breeze to work with the feather 328p. no extra charger or voltage regulator needed, which leaves room for improvement.

thx alot @solidgeek ! i always wanted to do a arduino project, but so far, lacked the ideas for one :slight_smile:

5 Likes

looks cool!

@ervinelin Looking forward to seeing your finished remote! I love your design, I would like to make one myself at some point :smiley: And nice to know that a LC filter fixes those bad power supplies!

@Deakbannok I have been having that issue with max PPM too, not sure why it happens either. Would have been nice if you either did a pull request or forked my repository :slight_smile:

EDIT: Been looking through your repository, and will be implementing some of your changes in the new update, nice work!

@Achmed20 Look good mate! Nice to know that the Feather 328p can replace most of the electronics! Leaves room for a bigger battery :stuck_out_tongue: