Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

This is awesome… Can I know what the UART option does?

This option allows you to choose between PPM and UART to send the throttle value to your VESC. In my case I plugged my receiver only on the UART instead of PPM. And this option is programmable from the remote. If on the remote you change the setting “UART data” your choice is sent to the receiver, that changes the setting and save it in his memory.

That’s awesome. Didn’t even know this is possible.

What advantage does it have other than just having less wires?

It’s digital and you can send other informations if you need. It is already uart that the receiver get the data from the VESC, I find it easier for me and it’s a good option to have I think :slight_smile:

Edited: I looked at the library “VescUartControl” and it seems that it is also possible to have a crusing control mode. I’ll try to look at it more :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @Jorand, I finally managed to find time to try your firmware but I couldn’t get the remote to work, nothing on OLED, nothing on serial monitor…

Did I miss a step?

Rolling back to my other firmware was fine…

Oh no… I updated my VESC to FW 3.33 and now my telemetry doesn’t work anymore…

Any ideas?

I finally took the time to finish my remote and I’m very happy with the result ! I changes a little bit the placement of the components because i use a 700mah batterie and this AS01 SPIPX nRF24L01 module.

I also connected the two data wire from the micro usb charging port to the arduino micro usb. That way I can reprogram it without having to open the remote :wink: (I use the plug of a USB cable that I opened).

I can wait to finish the receiver and give it a try !!

@solidgeek There is an best position of the hall sensor to have the best resolution ? and it seems that the screws to close the remote are no longer M4x12 ?

@ervinelin Sorry, it seems that I forgot to pull the last modifications made by @solidgeek will look at what I forgot. Thanks for giving a try :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Here’s a thread for your problem, the developer of the VESC library is currently testing things.

I did 18 km tonight to test the remote and it was so nice ! Super smooth and safe. I also tested the cruse control mode that i added today… is perfect :slight_smile:

I updated my code. With the cruse control (Trigger Mode 1) only working with UART yet. Enjoy !

2 Likes

Is there an updated component list/BoM ?

I’d be printing this today and would like to source the parts. But am worried that some are outdated or better ones have been found.

I need this remote assp, since I was one of the beta testers I wounder if anyone of you managers to make one fully functional and would be willing go build one and send me in EU please DM

I tried this, unfortunately doesn’t work…

Distance seems to have something but the numbers are garbled, nothing else works as it should, rolled back again to FW2.18…

@solidgeek Is it possible to get the inventor files for the remote? already built one(great design) but id like to change some details(different screen and buttons)

1 Like

Finally got the remote fully built and working last night.

I did have to solder a 10k ohm resistor from the RX to GND on the transmitter nano as it wouldn’t fully power on without hitting the reset button. Apparently this is a common thing with Arduinos.

I’ll be constructing the receiver nano tonight. Exciting! Thanks again @solidgeek!

9 Likes

If you decide to build and sell these as a completed device, I think you could make some big money. I’d be up for a couple myself.

5 Likes

Same here!

OK so I got everything wired up for a transmit and receive test but I can only get the transmitter to successfully connect if I power it via the nano’s micro USB port. I’ve took multimeter readings whilst powered off battery and USB and I can’t see any issues. I’m wondering if the need to have a resistor between RX and GND is a clue to bigger issues? I removed it to test but no difference (other than now having to press the reset button on the nano when powering from the battery - as mentioned in my last post). Any ideas?

Still waiting on innards here :shamrock:

I’d suggest checking all your solder joints first.

1 Like

Yes me too