Sanyo 2170 battery NCR20700B

I’m waiting for Samsung and LG to release their 2170/2070 cells. Hopefully the price drops then. These cells aren’t really anything special tbh.

Samsung release one of them, capacity wise is “bad”, but look at the IR and discharge capability

For a 10S1P or 12S1P and a range of 12Km it would be awesome and light, but with no power compromises

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung%20INR21700-30T%203000mAh%20(Gray)%20UK.html

Yea capacity wise that sucks. Hopefully they will have another version.

Geez 3000mah, what’s the point of the larger cubic area?

Look at the discharge current no other cell (maybe A123 26650) can do that and not suffer massive sag

All cells are a tradeoff between energy, discharge capacity and cycle life, in this case the pushed a lot towards discharge capacity, my guess is the market is tools

@Pantologist I’ve read on candlelight forums that they have a 5300mah version almost ready to market, but it sounds to good to be true and has no sources

I doubt that. I don’t think that is even possible with the same chemistries… it will have really bad discharge output too.

@Pedrodemio @Pantologist if the 21700 cell has a capacity of ~5200 mAh, it has the same energy density as the LG MJ1 3500 mAh cell, so capacity wise it’s absolutely doable, but it will most likely be pretty low discharge rate as Panto mentioned, but Tesla has so many cells in their cars overall I don’t think it’ll be a problem for them to still get crazy cyrrents.

Exactly, by even so they are still limited by battery discharge, if I’m not mistaken they peak around 20A per cell, if using a different chemistry they could break the 1MW barrier, but at cost of lower autonomy

Beside the NCR18650GA cells, I started to design battery packs with Panasonic Sanyo NCR20700B. Are more powerful than shows specs from data sheets!

1 Like

I used these cells a few months ago on a 12s2p config. Work beautifully

I use them in a 10S3P config now for around 4 Months

The big advantage over the 18650s is the spaceconsumtion: a 12Ah needs with this cell 3P compared to 4P with 18650s

if you dont need more than 40A batterycurrent then these cells are the best in my mind

Using these in a 10s6p configuration right now. Very little voltage sag.

2 Likes

@chaka: like your style - just double everything

whats you range with 6P? probably around 70km/45miles?

I have yet to do a full drain on the pack. I’m sure it has plenty of range. 45 miles should be reachable but I would be happy if it gave me 30 miles of aggressive riding.

1 Like

I get on 3P and aggressive riding close to 30km, after that the Vesc pulls the power down (conservative at start / end cutoff) But I have only a 6355 with 60A on that build that max. out at about 40kmh

Had anybody had his hands on the Samsung 21700-30T instead?

I fail to find them.

2170 or 2070 are pretty the same (2070 have dimensions 20,5 x 70,3 mm)

Dimension wise they’re similar. But chemistry wise they’re completely different cells.

1 Like

No they are not, they are both li-ion. The biggest difference is the 21700 is made in Nevada USA.

Yes and lithium Ion has slight variances in chemistry. The 20700 and other Panasonic cells are LiMnCo2. The new Tesla Panasonic cells are a modified chemistry to this.